PDA

View Full Version : On the negative side


Drekkus
27-12-2006, 13:25:54
in six months time days will be getting shorter again. :(

Frozen Frog
27-12-2006, 13:28:59
With one sentence you just ruined the next 6 months for me. I'm impressed.

Drekkus
27-12-2006, 14:01:48
:D Thanks.

mr_G
28-12-2006, 10:21:25
heil Drekkus!!!!

Dyl Ulenspiegel
28-12-2006, 10:50:57
Our marketing guru!

Lurker the Second
28-12-2006, 15:46:49
Long days suck anyway.

MoSe
28-12-2006, 15:57:42
Daisy Long (http://www.inhf.org/daisylong.htm)?

Drekkus
29-12-2006, 10:51:32
That sounds like a porn name. A she male porn name though.

Greg W
29-12-2006, 11:39:46
Six months? Start getting shorter? Surely he's not that dumb. :clueless:

Dyl Ulenspiegel
29-12-2006, 12:48:29
Oh shut up, antipode.

Frozen Frog
29-12-2006, 12:49:49
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
Oh shut up, antipode.

:beer:

Greg W
30-12-2006, 09:08:15
Make that 3 northerners that are that dumb then. :clueless:

Dyl Ulenspiegel
30-12-2006, 09:42:07
What's your problem, antipode?

Greg W
30-12-2006, 09:50:41
Well, it's the 21st of June that days start getting shorter. In the Northern Hemisphere anyway. He's a week out. :p

Dyl Ulenspiegel
30-12-2006, 10:52:16
Goodness, he's a slightly retarded dutch marketing guy. No one expects precision from him; I was amazed he got the basics right.

mr_G
30-12-2006, 11:27:15
me toooooooo

Greg W
30-12-2006, 11:56:48
I know. I was just being silly. For once. :p

mr_G
30-12-2006, 13:15:31
this is a seriously serious forum

Greg W
30-12-2006, 13:20:26
And as of 23 mins ago (my time), a dutch free forum. So sod off. :p

the Fin
30-12-2006, 13:43:14
fok U

Drekkus
30-12-2006, 14:42:53
Originally posted by Greg W
Well, it's the 21st of June that days start getting shorter. In the Northern Hemisphere anyway. He's a week out. :p :hmm:
And you think that after the 27th days will not be getting shorter? For normal people in normal places?

Drekkus
30-12-2006, 14:43:30
Originally posted by Greg W
And as of 23 mins ago (my time), a dutch free forum. So sod off. :p :confused: Does december have only 30 days in Australia??

Frozen Frog
30-12-2006, 16:11:25
Originally posted by Greg W
Six months? Start getting shorter? Surely he's not that dumb. :clueless:

That belongs in a Poly thread.

Greg W
30-12-2006, 21:45:07
Originally posted by Drekkus
:confused: Does december have only 30 days in Australia?? :lol: :nervous:

Diss
02-01-2007, 05:40:01
days aren't getting shorter. They are always 24 hours.

Diss
02-01-2007, 05:42:29
and if we really want to get into semantics, in the northern hemisphere in the area where I live days are always getting shorter after June 22. That is the day with the most daylight hours. Sometimes it's on the 21st I believe. It seems to vary.

MoSe
02-01-2007, 07:45:37
yes, it's because leap years don't leap enough, and equinoxes shift wrt the calendar

in a thread sometimes ago we came to that conclusion:

- how old are you?
- I'm so old that when I was young, spring came on the 21st!

Greg W
02-01-2007, 08:28:47
Originally posted by Greg W
Well, it's the 21st of June that days start getting shorter. In the Northern Hemisphere anyway. He's a week out. :p
Originally posted by Diss
and if we really want to get into semantics, in the northern hemisphere in the area where I live days are always getting shorter after June 22. That is the day with the most daylight hours. Sometimes it's on the 21st I believe. It seems to vary. :hmm:

MoSe
02-01-2007, 08:34:37
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solstice

and here's with a graph too, that I had also posted few months ago
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/SummerSolstice.html

that was for solstice
this other for spring
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/VernalEquinox.html
see that 2007 will be the last time spring comes in the earliest minutes of march 21st (Universal Time), then it will come on the 20th till 2100! Have to keep this in mind when writing schoolbooks and teaching youths!

MoSe
02-01-2007, 08:47:18
Originally posted by Drekkus
in six months time days will be getting shorter again. :(

anyway, you don't have to really worry, as the saying goes, in 100 years time all of us will be dead
:p

I wonder if by that time the span of that prediction will have to be updated....

Diss
02-01-2007, 08:55:58
Originally posted by MoSe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solstice

and here's with a graph too, that I had also posted few months ago
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/SummerSolstice.html

that was for solstice
this other for spring
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/VernalEquinox.html
see that 2007 will be the last time spring comes in the earliest minutes of march 21st (Universal Time), then it will come on the 20th till 2100! Have to keep this in mind when writing schoolbooks and teaching youths!

yeah I happened to stumble upon the wiki article. Then a related article on straight dope and a few other places on the aburdity that summer supposedly starts on June 21st or 22nd because that is the solstice? That's just silly. And winter on December 21st? All of december is cold where I live (relatively speaking as I live in the desert). I consider summber to be June, July, August (though september is very hot as well). Winter is December, Feb, and march.

MoSe
02-01-2007, 09:05:11
Originally posted by Diss
I consider summber to be June, July, August (though september is very hot as well).

and after all that sum-beer, finally comes OK-to-Beer!

Diss
02-01-2007, 09:19:26
and why is winter so damn cold!

(yes I know the answer lies above, I just feel like complaining about the chill).

MoSe
02-01-2007, 10:10:25
Poll: in which city on the Equator would you prefer to live?
Quito?
Belém?
Nairobi?
Singapore?
...?

Drekkus
02-01-2007, 11:02:07
Singapore!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Venom
02-01-2007, 12:50:04
Here's good news for everyone worried about 6 months from now:

You might not live that long.

Drekkus
02-01-2007, 13:02:25
Is the chance that you will not live until tomorow smaller than until 6 months from now?

MoSe
02-01-2007, 14:35:48
well, let's call
C(d) the chance you'll die within day d
D(d) the chance you'll die exactly on day d
T = today
then
C(T+1) is the chance you'll die within tomorrow.
C(T+2) is the chance you'll die within the next 2 days.

Considering the values as of now, regardless which relations exists between D(T), D(T+1) and D(T+2)
you can say that
C(T) = D(T)
C(T+1) = D(T)+D(T+1)
C(T+2) = D(T)+D(T+1)+D(T+2)
thus C(T+2) >= C(T+1) >= C(T)
for the principle of induction you could say that C(d+1)>= C(d)

for the monotonicity of entailment and the mean value theorem, yes, AS OF NOW, the farther away the date, the higher the chance you won't live until then

Funko
02-01-2007, 14:45:12
Summary: Yes.

MoSe
02-01-2007, 14:55:37
;)
or, better and more seriously put:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumulative_distribution_function