PDA

View Full Version : perfume

the Fin
20-12-2006, 13:30:33
nice nice

paiktis
04-01-2007, 23:44:00
if you hadn't read the book. because if you had, you knew what was coming and all you were left with to admire was the beautiful photography. (as we say for films. that's the... em.... photography/scenes/costumes/pictures everything of the visually aesthetic)

MattHiggs
05-01-2007, 08:18:04
For winter I like to use Gucci Envy or Creed Himilaya. If I'm going out at night to a club then I'd wear something seductive like A*Men, those chocolate notes are delicious!

Scabrous Birdseed
05-01-2007, 09:15:58
I've got a trusty bottle of Paul Smith Men which I've had way too long.

King_Ghidra
05-01-2007, 10:21:29
Hugo Boss In Motion (the one that looks like the ball from Speedball) for me.

Anyway, i've seen some not-so-flattering reviews of Perfume, including both the Guardian reviewers:

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Guardian_review/0,,1976912,00.html

Alan Rickman's final encounter with Grenouille was enough to make me want to put a brown paper bag over my head and whinny like a tormented pony

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Observer_review/0,,1978319,00.html

Funko
05-01-2007, 10:23:57
I've seen mixed reviews too. Apparently it was for a long time considered unfilmable which is why it's taken so long to come to the screen.

paiktis
17-01-2007, 13:23:04
Originally posted by paiktis
if you hadn't read the book. because if you had, you knew what was coming and all you were left with to admire was the beautiful photography.

Some feedback from people that hadn't read the book.

"What was the poet trying to say?"

"That's the biggest load of crap I've seen my whole life"

maroule
17-01-2007, 13:42:39
I'm one Aqua de Gio, after years of Vetiver de Guerlain

I liked the noverl when I read it, 10 years ago, then I read another one from Suskind (from tuba player in a local german orchestra monologing bitterly about life)... about the film, I seem to remember Grenouille was ugly as shit, which doesn't seem to be the case... I was left a bit baffled by the ending too, like the reviewer

paiktis
17-01-2007, 20:12:00
If you have read the book you shouldn't be baffled at all by end...

spoiler

Grenouille was eaten alive because such was the natural reaction to the pure love he emitted with his perfect parfume. (stoooopid foreign languages. i could have said it far better in my mother tongue but you undersand the crude gist, i hope)
btw i also have read the book some 10 good years back. it was very artfully written. the descriptions of the filthy poor part of paris streets, the desperation, excrusiating poverty all were given very vividly. the other thing that struck out from the very craftful writer (he was austrian? he had an unpronouncable name) was the descprition of the emotions that the perfect perfume of Grenouille evoked in the claussards of paris there in the end. all in all the book is 100% worth reading. although i think that a good thing would be to not know anything about it. because the idea was hugely new and prototype. that's the one strong point and the other is the language and descriptive/evokative writing of that guy with the name which cannot be pronounced let alone be remembered

Scabrous Birdseed
03-02-2007, 08:08:27
I thought it was the best film I've seen all year. Seriously. Total, consistent transportation into another world with marvellous editing and easily the best film score of the decade, and a perfect mixture of attraction and revulsion. Best film about a serial killer since Michael Powell's "Peeping Tom".