PDA

View Full Version : America is losing the War on Drugs!

MOBIUS
19-12-2006, 15:38:25
High times for farmers as cannabis is named America's biggest cash crop
By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles
Published: 19 December 2006

Marijuana is the most valuable cash crop in the United States, worth more to its growers than corn and wheat combined, according to a new report by a leading American drug reform lobbyist that cites the US government's own figures.

Decades of government efforts to crack down on both the cultivation and consumption of pot have had a counter-productive effect, since even the most conservative government estimates suggest domestic marijuana production has increased tenfold in the past 25 years. It is the leading cash crop in 12 states, and one of the top five crops in 39 states.

The report's author, Jon Gettman, says it is "larger than cotton in Alabama, larger than grapes, vegetables and hay in California, larger than peanuts in Georgia, and larger than tobacco in South and North Carolina".

California accounts for almost a third of all US production. It is a major economic force in the state, especially in the redwood forests in the north, where the smell of weed wafts unmistakably down the streets of several towns.

Marijuana remains popular with the baby boomer generation, which first experimented with it in the 1950s and 1960s. And its use is booming among teenagers and young adults, especially as alcohol cannot be sold to under 21s. US Marijuana cultivation is worth more than $35bn (18bn) per year. And that is a conservative estimate, based on government price surveys, Mr Gettman says. Corn, the largest legitimate crop, is worth just over $23bn and soybeans around $17bn. "Despite years of effort by law enforcement, they're not getting rid of it," Mr Gettman told the Los Angeles Times ahead of his report's publication yesterday in The Bulletin of Cannabis Reform. "Not only is the problem worse in terms of magnitude of cultivation, but production has spread all around the country. To say the genie is out of the bottle is a profound understatement."

Figures issued by the State Department and other government agencies show marijuana production increased from an estimated 2.2 million pounds in 1981 to at least 22 million pounds. Some estimates put the current crop as high as 50 million pounds.

Since the presidency of George Bush Snr in the late 1980s, official policy has been one of zero tolerance of all illegal narcotics. Recently, the federal government has been unforgiving of the medical marijuana movement, and federal agents have raided numerous marijuana farms that were fully licensed under state law.

It has not cut down use of the drug. Mr Gettman and other activists argue that it might be time to legalise the entire industry and subject it to proper regulatory control and taxation.

"The fact that marijuana is America's number-one cash crop after more than three decades of governmental eradication efforts is the clearest illustration that our present marijuana laws are a complete failure," said Rob Kampia, executive director of Washington's Marijuana Policy Project.

Marijuana is the most valuable cash crop in the United States, worth more to its growers than corn and wheat combined, according to a new report by a leading American drug reform lobbyist that cites the US government's own figures.

Decades of government efforts to crack down on both the cultivation and consumption of pot have had a counter-productive effect, since even the most conservative government estimates suggest domestic marijuana production has increased tenfold in the past 25 years. It is the leading cash crop in 12 states, and one of the top five crops in 39 states.

The report's author, Jon Gettman, says it is "larger than cotton in Alabama, larger than grapes, vegetables and hay in California, larger than peanuts in Georgia, and larger than tobacco in South and North Carolina".

California accounts for almost a third of all US production. It is a major economic force in the state, especially in the redwood forests in the north, where the smell of weed wafts unmistakably down the streets of several towns.

Marijuana remains popular with the baby boomer generation, which first experimented with it in the 1950s and 1960s. And its use is booming among teenagers and young adults, especially as alcohol cannot be sold to under 21s. US Marijuana cultivation is worth more than $35bn (18bn) per year. And that is a conservative estimate, based on government price surveys, Mr Gettman says. Corn, the largest legitimate crop, is worth just over $23bn and soybeans around $17bn. "Despite years of effort by law enforcement, they're not getting rid of it," Mr Gettman told the Los Angeles Times ahead of his report's publication yesterday in The Bulletin of Cannabis Reform. "Not only is the problem worse in terms of magnitude of cultivation, but production has spread all around the country. To say the genie is out of the bottle is a profound understatement."

Figures issued by the State Department and other government agencies show marijuana production increased from an estimated 2.2 million pounds in 1981 to at least 22 million pounds. Some estimates put the current crop as high as 50 million pounds.

Since the presidency of George Bush Snr in the late 1980s, official policy has been one of zero tolerance of all illegal narcotics. Recently, the federal government has been unforgiving of the medical marijuana movement, and federal agents have raided numerous marijuana farms that were fully licensed under state law.

It has not cut down use of the drug. Mr Gettman and other activists argue that it might be time to legalise the entire industry and subject it to proper regulatory control and taxation.

"The fact that marijuana is America's number-one cash crop after more than three decades of governmental eradication efforts is the clearest illustration that our present marijuana laws are a complete failure," said Rob Kampia, executive director of Washington's Marijuana Policy Project.

Yet another reason to legalise it IMHO!
:smoke:

chagarra
19-12-2006, 15:54:27
Nah..... What would all the polititions do with no drug money for their campaigns......

Every person with even a half a brain knows prohibition works...NOT.

Wonder what this says about the Bush family

King_Ghidra
19-12-2006, 16:07:55
http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/images/war.008.gif

King_Ghidra
19-12-2006, 16:09:41
I just realised that is incomprehensible for people who don't have the light colour scheme. Well...fuck you people.

MDA
19-12-2006, 16:45:30
the repeating paragraphs lead me to believe that the writer is on drugs

MDA
19-12-2006, 16:45:52
and his editor smells of elderberries

Dyl Ulenspiegel
19-12-2006, 16:50:03
You surely meant "America is staying the course in the War on Drugs!"

MOBIUS
19-12-2006, 16:56:01
You spotted my cunning joke then...:cute:

JM^3
19-12-2006, 18:38:50
I think prohibitation is fine.. there are some things that people should be heavily discouraged from using. However, pot is no worse than alcohol, which is legal. Additionally, it seems like it costs too much effort to prosecute it properly (just as with alcohol), so it should be legalized or decriminalized.

Jon Miller

DaShi
19-12-2006, 19:03:00
s'poly forum?

Diss
19-12-2006, 21:17:55
we're losing the war on violent crime as well. Should we legalize it?

HelloKitty
19-12-2006, 22:14:51
Hmm...

Not that I would imply that this number came out of someone's ass.

So yearly, on average, every single american, from birth to grave spends more on pot than on corn? Over 100$!

Corn, the item that is in almost every single food item we, and most of the industrialized world eat. The item that is used to feed the animals we eat. The item that is used to sweeten everything we eat. The main ingredient in all sodas.

I believe it!

Koshko
20-12-2006, 01:35:32
Pot gets more money than corn because a joint costs a shitload more than an ear of corn.

Diss
20-12-2006, 05:25:56
not when you factor in soft drinks. Soft drinks are expensive. And people drink a lot of soda.

Funko
20-12-2006, 08:57:36
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Hmm...

Not that I would imply that this number came out of someone's ass.

So yearly, on average, every single american, from birth to grave spends more on pot than on corn? Over 100$!

Corn, the item that is in almost every single food item we, and most of the industrialized world eat. The item that is used to feed the animals we eat. The item that is used to sweeten everything we eat. The main ingredient in all sodas.

I believe it!

I bet they do the thing they always do with drugs, base valuations on the cost of the smallest amounts of the drug and multiply up but then they are comparing it to the amount the farmers sell their corn for, not the street value of all the products that are sold with corn in.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-12-2006, 12:04:07
"marijuana production increased from an estimated 2.2 million pounds in 1981 to at least 22 million pounds. Some estimates put the current crop as high as 50 million pounds."

That's about 22 million kilos ~22000 tons. Corn production is about 200-300 million tons IIRC, so about a factor of 10000. Yup, might really be the price....

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-12-2006, 12:05:28
Originally posted by Funko
not the street value of all the products that are sold with corn in.

Gives me visions of corn dealers in run-down street corners.

Funko
20-12-2006, 12:11:48
50 million pounds = 22 679 618 500 grams

Say UK street price is 20 for 3 grams which is 6.67 a gram

That means it's worth 151 billion on the street. I think you'd get a bulk buy discount on 50 million pounds though.

Drekkus
20-12-2006, 14:02:08
Heheheh, the story says crack down on drugs

MOBIUS
20-12-2006, 14:04:00
...as well as high times...

maroule
20-12-2006, 14:36:41
Originally posted by Diss
we're losing the war on violent crime as well. Should we legalize it?

I have yet to see anybody smoking pot being in the mood for anything more violent than tripping over his shoe laces

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-12-2006, 15:56:28
And that's exactly the problem. Who'd fight the WARONTERROR WARONTERROR WARONTERROR then? You terroristloving french pantpassing commiebaby.

HelloKitty
20-12-2006, 16:09:18
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
"marijuana production increased from an estimated 2.2 million pounds in 1981 to at least 22 million pounds. Some estimates put the current crop as high as 50 million pounds."

That's about 22 million kilos ~22000 tons. Corn production is about 200-300 million tons IIRC, so about a factor of 10000. Yup, might really be the price....

Estimated based on numbers we completely made up.

fp
20-12-2006, 16:13:13
If they didn't make them up then they wouldn't be estimates, would they?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-12-2006, 16:14:08
Sure.

But your initial point as I understood it questioned the consistency or plausibility of the numbers. Don't see a big problem there.

HelloKitty
20-12-2006, 20:56:55
They made completely random guesses about the numbers or used a 95% CI where the value is +/- the total and only reported the highest number int he range.

If they are producing 10 times more int he US than before, who are they selling to? In the late 70s nearly 40% of people would report having used illegal drugs in the past month, with 95% of those being pot.

The number in the 90s was around 15% with the same % of that being pot.

So they need to grow 10 times the for half the customer base? How many kids did cheech and chong have?

It is just another case of people playing with statistics to make a case because the average person is too dumb to look at it critically.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-12-2006, 21:25:17
"So they need to grow 10 times the for half the customer base?"

2 possible reasons: Substitution of imports and higher intensity of individual use.

Koshko
20-12-2006, 21:52:40
Why even grow it here when we can helps Afghanistan's ecomony out by buying from their massive Opium trade. I mean that is literally the only thing they export now.

Koshko
20-12-2006, 21:53:59
PS ... HUGS NOT DRUGS!

Diss
20-12-2006, 22:15:43
I like poppy seeds. Does that make me a drug user?

I forgot to mention I hit the crack pipe after eating my poppy seed muffin.

Koshko
20-12-2006, 22:42:18
Poppy seeds will make you fail a drug test.

HelloKitty
20-12-2006, 22:51:29
"So they need to grow 10 times the for half the customer base?"

2 possible reasons: Substitution of imports and higher intensity of individual use.

Since we always hear on the news that the majority of pot in the US comes in through Canada or Mexico the first reason doesn't hold out.

The only explaination is the average pot smoker consumes 20 times what the average pot smoker in 1979 did!

Either that or they made up a lot of numbers.

Don't get me wrong, we lost every "war on" ideology/abstract concept X since Nancy started the trend. The war on Drugs, failed. War on poverty, failed. war terror, WORKING GREAT BEEV!!! Etc.

Regardless, this kind of crap statistics is embarassing. It is pure agenda with no hard facts.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
21-12-2006, 08:44:04
The only explaination is the average pot smoker consumes 20 times what the average pot smoker in 1979 did!

Well, the numbers may well be total crap. But it is entirely possible that domestic production has increased tenfold with a halfing of the consumer base. If in 1981, for a consumption of 100, 98 have been imported and 2 homehrown, and this has shifted to 30/20, it's possible.

But this is getting way too poly, so I suggest using all the statistics for a pokey bum wank.

Funko
21-12-2006, 09:02:50
That's very plausible because weed is really hard to smuggle (as drugs go). It's bulky and really smelly. Much easier and more profitable to smuggle cocaine or heroin.

HelloKitty
21-12-2006, 17:26:12
Well, the numbers may well be total crap. But it is entirely possible that domestic production has increased tenfold with a halfing of the consumer base. If in 1981, for a consumption of 100, 98 have been imported and 2 homehrown, and this has shifted to 30/20, it's possible.

But this is getting way too poly, so I suggest using all the statistics for a pokey bum wank.

So the over 100$ per every living person in the US estimate should have been over 5000$?

HelloKitty
21-12-2006, 17:28:08
I see the british are doing just as important research!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/21/robot.rights.ap/index.html

Dyl Ulenspiegel
21-12-2006, 17:44:57
So the over 100$ per every living person in the US estimate should have been over 5000$?

250$ on a consumption base, if you take my numbers.

MDA
21-12-2006, 17:51:05

how much is that in stoned?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
21-12-2006, 18:27:15
Loads of loads, dude! :smoke: