PDA

View Full Version : Fave Sci-Fi series?

Greg W
12-12-2006, 09:19:17
Just curious as to what your fave Sci Fi series is? Fox Australia has just launched the Sci Fi Channel (well, 11 days ago), so we're finally getting a lot of shows that we never got before. I've recently watched the following:

Andromeda
Just finished watching Season 3 on DVD (borrowed). Loving the series so far. The characters are all interesting, though I did think that the reason for Tyr staying with them for so long was a bit stretched. The idea of a ship made flesh is awesome, though whoever taught her to wear clothes should be shot.

Stargate SG-1
Watched the first 8 or so episodes on DVD. Really enjoying it so far. Again, the reason behind Teal'c joining them were a tad flimsy - could have been fleshed out more.

Stargate Atlantis
Watched the first two episodes on Sci-Fi. Not too bad to date. I find the idea and implementation of Atlantis itself to be awesome. The wraith I am a little undecided about at the moment.

Battlestar Galactica (new series)
Currently 1/2way thru the 2nd season on DVD. Loved the old 80s series, and was very much looking forward to the new series. Didn't like the fact they made Starbuck a chick, but I must admit she's grown on me. Must admit that when I went back and watched the original on DVD I was a bit let down - not as good as I remembered.

Farscape
Just watched the first two episodes on Sci-Fi. Wished they had spent a bit more time on the intro, but am enjoying the characters so far.

Blake's 7
Finished season 1 on DVD. The original, and quite possibly still the best. Was a bit worried about getting it on DVD and hating it, but I must say that I loved it. Great plots, even if the special effects look very dated.

Am interested in hearing what others think about other series though. Especially the Star Trek lines (Original, Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager), Bab 5, and anything else out there that might prove interesting. I hear the new Doctor Who series is good, though I haven't watched any of them.

Funko
12-12-2006, 09:22:53
BSG is excellent. I don't know why people have a problem with Starbuck being female, ok I thought it sounded shit when I heard the news but as soon as I'd seen the mini series I was sold.

Tizzy and I are just starting on the DVDs of Firefly, which promises to be good. I really liked the film.

The new Dr Who's are pretty good, worth a look.

Greg W
12-12-2006, 09:25:31
Oh, I forgot Firefly. That series rocks (as did the movie). Soooo disappointed that they canned it after 1 season, that had a lot of potential. :cry:

Funko
12-12-2006, 09:34:31
From the sounds of it Fox fucked around with it from the start, and it was expensive. Joss Whedon apparently said he'd make another series if someone bought the rights from Fox, because he won't work with Fox again. Can't see that happening so I guess short of another movie it's dead. Very sad.

Speaking of cancelled shows, apparently, according to Venom, this season (3) of BSG the ratings haven't been great. Sci-Fi are moving it to Sunday nights from Friday nights in a bid to up the ratings, if they don't improve this could be the last series.

Funko
12-12-2006, 09:41:05
BTW before anyone else does it, can I just call us both NERDS!!

MattHiggs
12-12-2006, 09:42:11
Star Trek: TNG

Tizzy
12-12-2006, 09:44:34
BSG BSG BSG!
And I really like Doctor Who as well.

Although current least favourite: Torchwood.

King_Ghidra
12-12-2006, 10:20:51
i liked farscape.

but yeah, you can't beat star trek:tng

i thought DS 9 had some quite nice episodes too. voyager was horrible though.

watched the bsg mini-series and really liked it, but don't have the heart to start watching the full series, i don't watch much tv and it just seems rather daunting. I like things like star trek where you can watch one episode and it's fairly isolated.

everyone here at work loves SG, but i think it's silly.

Chris
12-12-2006, 10:31:25
ST TOS will always be the best, but TNG and DS 9 are right behind it.

These days BSG is the best by far.

I'm surprised there is no mention of what was probaly the best continued story show ever, Babylon 5.

Greg W
12-12-2006, 11:21:06
Well, I did mention Bab5, but only cos I hadn't seen it yet, and was after some feedback. ;)

You should watch BSG if you can grab the DVDs off someone KG. It is really quite good. :beer: Just do it an episode at a time, and see how you go.

Oh, and am I right that tey have a kind of newish series of the original Ster Trek? As in without Kirk, Spock, Jim and the rest?

Debaser
12-12-2006, 11:32:10
I quite like Quantum Leap. :beer:

Venom
12-12-2006, 12:41:13
Babylon 5, BSG, Farscape are good.

Both Stargates and Andromeda are terrible.

The new show from the Sci-Fi channel called The Lost Room is pretty good too.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-12-2006, 14:30:33
My all time favourite was "the Invaders" I loved the intro. and it had just the right mix of paranoia and conspiracy.

Venom
12-12-2006, 15:23:27
Originally posted by Greg W
Oh, and am I right that tey have a kind of newish series of the original Ster Trek? As in without Kirk, Spock, Jim and the rest?

There are rumors of a Star Trek Academy type movie with a young Kirk et al.

mr_G
13-12-2006, 13:32:52
I like "Little House on the Prairie"
with that hot Carrie Ingalls

Chris
13-12-2006, 16:26:04
She hated Dutchmen.

Fistandantilus
15-12-2006, 16:19:04
ST: DS9, the second half, when the war begins is still one of the best imo.

Incidentally, I watched pretty much everything of ST and I tend to hate those 'isolated episodes' KG speaks of :D
That's why I liked the last season of Enterprise (the first was horrible) which develops a pretty good storyline (yes, there is a bit too much time traveling stuff but..) and thought it was a big improvement, unfortunately it got cancelled shortly after...

Babylon 5 is very good.

BSG is the main reason I spend euros to get a channel, considering I almost never watch TV and I'm not disappointed about it you can guess if I like it.

Kitsuki
18-12-2006, 09:23:49
Originally posted by Funko

Speaking of cancelled shows, apparently, according to Venom, this season (3) of BSG the ratings haven't been great. Sci-Fi are moving it to Sunday nights from Friday nights in a bid to up the ratings, if they don't improve this could be the last series.

I would cry...

I would also be mildly surprised as they have spent shitloads on securing pretty much every actor in the series for up to and including the 7th season (the only one who wouldn't sign was Roslin's old assistance, hence his char getting topped.)

Funko
18-12-2006, 09:30:32
Apparently the latest rumour is that some exec said they aren't cancelling it. Fingers crossed anyway.

Fistandantilus
18-12-2006, 11:08:16
The first 5-6 episodes of season three are quality stuff, I just don't know how the ratings could go down. Weird americans.

Funko
18-12-2006, 11:09:23
The usual thing. Bad scheduling apparently it's on on Friday nights.

Kitsuki
18-12-2006, 16:44:42
The other thing I meant to mention, there is a BSG spin-off coming (based on Caprica a generation before the events of the current series, just before the original war...) so that makes it seem even less likely.

It has been scheduled Fri, and is being moved to Sunday (best day for max viewing figures.) I did hear it would sometimes be going up against Desperate Housewives though - which seems like poor scheduling - even if they have different types of audience, it's another very popular show.

I'm not worried about it being cancelled - it has been far too popular for that. The DVD sales for it have apparently been very lucrative to boot.

King_Ghidra
18-12-2006, 17:05:19
Originally posted by Kitsuki
based on Caprica a generation before the events of the current series, just before the original war

Before the war eh...

Desperate Starfighters?

Sex and the Cylons?

Funko
18-12-2006, 17:24:01
I worry about the Caprica series. What's interesting about before the war?

Funko
18-12-2006, 17:26:59
and I was only passing on what Venom said about potential cancellation due to bad ratings.

Kitsuki
18-12-2006, 17:46:03
Yeah, he's not the only one to think it though, if you do a little googling.

I'm not convinced by the Caprica spin-off either, but you don't start a spin-off for a show you are about to cancel would be my guess! :)

Venom
18-12-2006, 18:00:43
Because the ratings ARE down. That's why peopel are worried. And the last time the Sci-Fi channel had a critically acclaimed show that suffered a ratings drop they canceled that one too.

It's unlikely, but not out of the question.

Kitsuki
18-12-2006, 18:42:01
By that do you mean Farscape?

Farscape was critically acclaimed, but had nowhere near the viewership of BSG?

Venom
18-12-2006, 19:42:30
Looks like it had about half of BSG viewer numbers on average.

Galactica's season 1 numbers:
http://www.astro.cornell.edu/~springob/bsgratingss1.html

I'm assuming those are at least close. Those are very good numbers for Sci-Fi channel.

Farscape:
http://www.farscapeweekly.com/ezines/ratings.htm

But the reason the viewership numbers matter is money. And BSG is an expensive show, just as Farscape was. So it hurts now that the BBC aren't splitting the costs anymore and the viewer numbers are down. That's a double whammy.

Funko
19-12-2006, 08:50:29
It was Sky that were splitting the costs but yes, that must hurt. I guess Sky have to buy it off them now?

Kitsuki
19-12-2006, 10:06:09
Yes. Surely same difference?

Greg, what is Sci-fi like in Australia?

In the UK the channel is a pale imitation of the American channel - it mostly shows repeats of quite old programmes. Most of the really good new Sci-Fi series from America are actually shown on Sky One (Battlestar, Eureka, and others.)

Funko
19-12-2006, 10:09:12
The American channel mostly shows repeats of quite old programmes. Look at today's schedule:

http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/today.html

Kitsuki
19-12-2006, 10:11:14
Yes, but it at least has new programmes (BSG, both SG series, A Town Called Eureka.)

Sci-Fi in the UK literally has no new programmes ever.

Funko
19-12-2006, 10:24:30
True

maroule
19-12-2006, 10:57:46
the french one is better

it now shows a repeat of the first season of BSG... no trace of either 2 or 3, of course...

Greg W
20-12-2006, 04:19:38
I did a bit of research of the main series that I knew when it started. When it kicked off it started showing:
Babylon 5 - S3E1
BSG - S1E1
Farscape - S1E1
Star Trek TNG - S6E10
Star Trek Voyager - S3E24(?) and S2E5
Star Trek DS9 - S3E20(?)
Star Trek Enterprise - S3E21
Stargate - S8E03
Stargate Atlantis - S1E1

The full lineup includes all these shows that I was either not interested in, or have no idea what they are:
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Captain Scarlet
Cleopatra 2525
Earth 2
Firefly (only cos I have seen it)
Jake 2.0
Lexx
Medium
Mysterious Ways
Odyssey 5
Quantum Leap
Samurai X
Sea of Souls
seaQuest DSV
Sliders
The 4400
The Dead Zone
The Outer Limits
The Sentinel
The X-Files
Tripping The Rift

And Thunderbirds! :beer:

The TV guide can be seen here (http://www.scifitv.com.au/tvguide/) if you're interested. How that rates, I am not sure.

Greg W
20-12-2006, 05:05:28
Oh, and Fox 8 shows:
The Others
Jeremiah
Andromeda
Mutant X

No idea what they are other than Andromeda, but they're listed as Sci-Fi. Then again, so is Smallville.

Oh, and as for Star Trek Voyager, they're showing Season 3 once a week, and season 2 Ep 5 onwards daily. Don't ask me why they started there, no idea.

Kitsuki
20-12-2006, 09:54:14
7 of 9?

Fergus & The Brazen Car
05-01-2007, 10:03:26
Doomwatch

Sapphire & Steel

Timeslip

Children Of The Stones

The Survivors

Moonbase

King_Ghidra
05-01-2007, 10:18:24
Sapphire and Steel scared the shit out of me when i was a kid. Not in the 'doctor who rubber monsters' way, but in the 'what the fuck is going on' way.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
05-01-2007, 10:53:31
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
Sapphire and Steel scared the shit out of me when i was a kid. Not in the 'doctor who rubber monsters' way, but in the 'what the fuck is going on' way.

I liked the man who came out of old sepia photographs.

He was especially skin crawly nasty.