PDA

View Full Version : File Sharing Trends

Scabrous Birdseed
21-11-2006, 12:22:27
So, what's the lastest word on acquiring music? What are the trendy applications? What do you, personally, use if you're after something specific?

mr_G
21-11-2006, 12:30:12
dunno, i use that nice blue frog.

Nav
21-11-2006, 14:43:50
hit n run.

King_Ghidra
21-11-2006, 14:55:52
torrents and azureus

Unregistered
21-11-2006, 15:00:29
Borders. I go, don't see anything I want, and leave.

Scabrous Birdseed
21-11-2006, 15:06:23
Torrents, still? They're so annoying because you can't find anything that came out more than a week ago or more obscure than britney.

Unregistered
21-11-2006, 15:08:32
Yeah. The search on them sucks.

Scabrous Birdseed
21-11-2006, 15:14:00
See, I still haven't been able to find anything that works better today than the venerable and buggy napster clone SoulSeek. Is there nothing newer where I don't have to keep track of little groups of inbreds putting up "trackers" or "hubs" that contain 99% Lindsay Lohan films?

Kitsuki
21-11-2006, 15:14:15
I love Soulseek.

Unregistered
21-11-2006, 15:16:15
But not everyone loves Lindsey Lohan as much as you.

Scabrous Birdseed
21-11-2006, 15:22:09
I've been considering trying "Share" for my obscure japanese needs. I might have to have another go at DC++ as well for getting finnish tango for my mother-in-law.

mr_G
21-11-2006, 16:31:07
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
torrents and azureus jesjes the blue frog that's what i said mr_echo

Immortal Wombat
21-11-2006, 16:39:07
I use Soulseek, but its not great for more obscure stuff, and the search function doesn't seem to work properly.

Oerdin
21-11-2006, 20:41:03
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Torrents, still? They're so annoying because you can't find anything that came out more than a week ago or more obscure than britney.

True, but people like them because the RIAA can't hunt people down on torrents. There is a security factor.

Personally, I'm still using eMule.

Koshko
22-11-2006, 01:09:28
LimeWire

SuperCitizen
22-11-2006, 03:15:07
THere used to be a great service for mp3s.. Audio Galaxy. It truly rocked and kicked ass. Then it got shut down by the suits, no surprise there. But it was the BEST thing ever. Like Napster, forget about that.. Audio Galaxy was great. Still haven't seen anyone come close to that, unfortunately. You could find _everything_ with it easily.

HelloKitty
22-11-2006, 05:22:49
If you know how to search and check more than 1 locations when you don't find somethine, torrents and azereus are still the best.

Debaser
22-11-2006, 05:43:21
I use Limewire for individual mp3s, and Azureus for bigger files, and can get pretty much anything I want (though I agree with Scabby about older stuff being a problem). Geeks at work go on about UseNet being amazing, but you have to pay to register so I've not tried it.

devilmunchkin
22-11-2006, 06:02:32
i was going to agree with koshko: i've heard of limewire

Scabrous Birdseed
22-11-2006, 11:08:41
Originally posted by HelloKitty
If you know how to search and check more than 1 locations when you don't find somethine, torrents and azereus are still the best.

Alright, then, you can help me by suggesting how to complete the following real-life filesharing assignments using said software:

(a) On thursday I have a radio show I'm doing that's about the transition between disco and Hi-NRG in the late seventies, early eighties. So what I need to do is find relevant material by Giorgio Moroder, Cerrone, Patrick Cowley, Bobby Orlando and the band Space. (This is easily doable on SoulSeek which is very dance-focussed.)

(b) I'm rather into South African Kwaito music and I wanna update myself with recent releases. Here's a list of prominent artists, taken off Wikipedia: Zola, Mandoza, Mzekezeke, Brown Dash, Mahoota, Spikir, Mzambiya, Chippa, Msawawa, Mshoza, Thembi Seite, Thandiswa Mazwai, Brikz, Unathi. (This is fairly easily doable on eMule or, I guess, still on KaZaA, because they're mainstream-popular all over the world.)

(c) I need to find plenty of Finnish Tango music for my mother-in-law for christmas. None of this new stuff, mind you, but the traditional sixties stuff she grew up with. Names: Reijo Taipale, Eino Grön, Olavi Virta, Henry Theel. (This should be easy using one of the finnish hubs on DC++.)

(d) I'm trying to get hold of two Sony-published (ie. mainstream) Japanese-only compilations called Yellow Magic kayōkyoku and Techno Magic kayōkyoku. These are recent enough too, having been released last year. (I'm guessing these are obtainable on Share.)

I think each application is good for it's own stuff, I'm not sure I'd generalise a "best" one.

HelloKitty
22-11-2006, 18:11:00
Well I only tried one torrent site and found three first set.

http://www.torrentreactor.net/view.php?id=659668
http://tr.searching.com/view.php?id=509807
http://tr.searching.com/view.php?id=424323

I didn't pick out bobby orlando or space because I didn't feel like sorting through the hundreds of irrelevent torrents that have the word space in them or were compilations wih just a could of his songs.

I have no doubt some, if not all, of the other stuff is available. The question is, can you find it on English sites.? You can pull a list of the most obscure stuff and prove anything is useless.

And if you want to say anything about file sharing, mentioning KaZaA as being good for anything at all really damages your credibility.

Scabrous Birdseed
22-11-2006, 19:08:21
So, you send me: One zero-seed, zero-leech torrent, one zero-seed, four-leech torrent and one zero-seed. one-leech torrent, and you talk to me about credibility? Not to mention that the first one is in Wav format, and the second one and the third one have no bitrate info and are a bit of guesswork really? Not to mention that the two latter ones are the only one of the artist, and if you, say, want "Supernature" and "Megatron Man" instead you're screwed?

I'll stick to using Bittorrent for software, movies, hip-hop and mainstream albums, thank you. It's very useful for recent commercial releases but not much else.

HelloKitty
22-11-2006, 19:33:44
No, I clicked one site and sent you links to the first things that came up in 15 seconds.

If you want to spend 10 minutes finding them go ahead. The point is, all that stuff is out there, is it the best way to get Jacob V Vanderhaggelslop's basement recorded self release? No. Is it the best way to get 99% of the things you want? Yes. The only reason it beats UseNet i the ease of use and its free.

And you should know, but probably don't, that with azereus unless you have a nat or firewall problem the seed/leech numbers on the trackers are never accurate.

And yes, anyone using kazaa has no clue what they are doing. Unless you like haveing no security, downloading 90% bad files, opening yourself up to spyware, malware, and viruses, and still getting almost nothing you are looking for.

And I didn't realize that wav format was bad for you. I would think you own a PC so you could use the higher quality WAV format and just click the convert file to mp3 button on any media player if thats what you want.

Scabrous Birdseed
22-11-2006, 20:28:10
The point is, 99% of the things I want are fairly obscure, hell something like half not even SoulSeek can find! Say I want a single, well-encoded MP3 or equivalent (yes, WAV is fine) of one of the obscure records mentioned on this page (http://www.discostyle.com/space_disco.html) - How on earth would I go about finding that with a system like BitTorrent? I like it, it works reasonably well for what it's good at (Piracy of well-known stuff, essentially), but the entire seed system invites the darwinian-style exclusion of anything most people don't like, have never heard of or already downloaded last month.

HelloKitty
22-11-2006, 21:06:44
How do you find it?

Find torrent sites that cater to select groups.

Yeah the big torrent sites aren't going to list the all odd things.

Torrent forum software (Unreal and bittracker) are cheap.

I DL more from the small sites than anything large. Search around, at worst put up requests at one of the small torrent sites. I have downloaded several years worth of a local DC radio show that I haven't been able to listen to since moving in 2000. All through a fansite that tapes off the radio. None of those are ever going to be listed on any of the big trackers.

Scabrous Birdseed
23-11-2006, 08:07:07
So back to the deseprate hubsearching of DC++ a few years ago then. :rolleyes: