View Full Version : Turntable question

Scabrous Birdseed
17-11-2006, 09:00:48
I've got an old turntable from an 80s stereo system to play my vinyl on, which doesn't have built-in amplification. This means, unfortunately, that when I plug it into my (new, micro) stereo I get low volumes and lots of unwanted noise.

I'd quite like to listen to my records at decent volume with less noise, so I'm thinking what I should do to try to fix this. Is there anything I can do? Do I have to purchase a cheap, second hand eighties stereo amp or is there a smaller/easier-to-use electronic unit I can get instead, some sort of tiny pre-amp thing?

17-11-2006, 13:14:45
Did Gary get a hold of Scabby's log in?

C.G.B. Spender
17-11-2006, 14:04:13
You only need a preamp like this

I don't know if it's PC only, but usually there's also conversoin phono/line level available.
I had one made by Steinberg

C.G.B. Spender
17-11-2006, 14:04:59
Or in german: Plattenspielerentzerrvorverstärker

Scabrous Birdseed
23-11-2006, 11:32:08
Sounds good... Any idea where I could buy one?

23-11-2006, 23:43:31
I bought mine a a local tech department store, but the internet thingy may also work.


I may have the Steinberg gadget somewhere, I do not need it anymore.

I will look for it at the attic, but there's also a big chance I left it behind when I moved. It also may require a computer, I don't remember


24-11-2006, 13:01:57
buy cd's

24-11-2006, 14:23:42
how would he play them on his turntable then???
He'd need some more adapters, no???

[to Scabby] you mean.... modern amps don't have the Phono input anymore???? hear hear....

when I move, I might sell you my end-of-'70s Kenwood one...

27-11-2006, 23:11:46
Depends if it's an MC or MM Cartridge. Most decent pre amps will have both inputs though.

Find out which it is and these people will be able to help you.

http://www.phonopreamps.com/ or provide you with a solution and find an alternate supplier.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-11-2006, 09:38:47
You lost me with those cartridges. It's got a red-and-white stereo cable coming out of it. My stereo has a red-and-white stereo auxilliary input. You'd think you'd just plug em together, but noooo...

29-11-2006, 13:38:16
Cartridge is the bit the stylus sits in, with 4 wires coming off the back, if you pop it off the arm (assuming you can) it will be labelled up as MC or MM (Usually), If not you should be able to find out from the stylus type, which sort of cartridge it uses.
Different types of cartridge provide different voltage levels.
Moving Magnet or Moving Coil, i forget which is the higher voltage but either way they won't produce sufficient signal level to drive what will essentially be a phono line in. Somewhere around 1.4 volts.
Get or build a pre amp, sort of thing that radio shack used to make kits for.

The Mad Monk
12-12-2006, 08:44:12
Phono output has always been much lower than other outputs. You may also need a separate grounding wire.