PDA

View Full Version : How Green is your MP?

MOBIUS
15-11-2006, 10:09:02
Climate change: How green is your MP?
When Rough Guides published its new book on Climate Change, the series editor, Mark Ellingham, decided to send a copy to every MP. With it, he sent a letter asking three simple questions...
Published: 15 November 2006

1 How important a concern is climate change?

2 What can Britain do to make a difference?

3 What steps do you plan to take (or have you taken), in your constituency, and as an individual?

MPs are not renowned for responding to surveys, yet nearly half the house _ 318 of our elected representatives _ felt strongly enough to break the habit, all the main party leaders among them.

Their replies show a Parliament almost unanimous in its belief that this is the major issue, bar none (Scottish MP Brian Donohoe is a lone sceptic among our respondents, looking forward to a warmer garden). The overall tone was maybe best captured by Richard Benyon (Newbury, Conservative): " Climate Change is the defining issue of our age. Previous generations had to deal with the rise of Nazism or communism. This is the issue on which my generation of politicians will be judged. This is our Dunkirk."

The MPs are equally clear that Britain, the world's fourth largest economy, must take a lead. They are stack-full of ideas for this _ about energy use and generation, appliances, water, and notably cars and flights _ and clamouring for a climate change bill, with teeth.

It's not all just fine words, either. MPs like Frank Field, with his CoolEarth campaign to save rainforest, or Colin Challen, who has driven the issue onto the parliamentary agenda, have already taken decisive action. And this is accompanied by a house (or, perhaps, half a house) that is consciously going green in its own behaviour. Most MPs write about actions they have taken in their own lives to reduce energy use and carbon emissions. Hats off to Alan Simpson (Nottingham, Labour): "Personally, I have designed and constructed my own eco-home, which generates more electricity than it consumes."

WHICH IS THE GREENEST PARTY?

If you take our responses as a guide, the LibDems care the most: 56 responded, with just 7 absentees. And David Cameron has clearly had an effect on the Conservatives: 114 replied, 82 didn't. Labour was much less impressive, with 141 respondents but 214 absentees (most notably Gordon Brown, despite repeated calls to his office). And climate change doesn't seem to be making much impact on Northern Ireland politics, with not a single response from any DU or Sinn Fein representative.

As expected, it was good to see the Lib Dem party as the main party most concerned with climate change with almost 90% of MP replying.

Quite concerning to see that the MPs of the party in power evidently can't be arsed with almost 2/3s not replying - including PM in waiting, Gordon Brown...:shoot:

You can use the links to check if your MP fronted up and replied, or if they're someone who should be replaced...

Check out how green your MP is (http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article1985198.ece)

MOBIUS
15-11-2006, 10:35:39
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00238/p1-151106_238602a.jpg

mr_G
15-11-2006, 10:40:10
I'm gonna vote for Agnes Kant, she is hot so she is not yellow so maybe she is green
http://sneek.sp.nl/plaatjes/agneskantbw.jpg

King_Ghidra
15-11-2006, 10:52:43
Agnes can

C.G.B. Spender
15-11-2006, 11:41:04
She's a real Kant

mr_G
15-11-2006, 11:47:30
she is born in Hessisch-Oldendorf

Drekkus
15-11-2006, 11:53:18
http://home.planet.nl/~medialog/balkenende.gif

Gary
15-11-2006, 12:23:53
I'd be more interested to learn if "being green" was interpreted as causing the most disruption to people's lives in a futile attempt to actually achieve something, or investing in that which will actually help, like lower polluting fuels and suchlike. At first I was keen on green issues but not now I realise it is just an excuse to push the public around more (even to the extent of criminalizing some) for no benefit other than to enlarge official's egos (oh and tax more of course).

Funko
16-11-2006, 09:41:27
So you own a car then.

*End Is Forever*
16-11-2006, 09:57:11
My MP didn't reply.

Funko
16-11-2006, 10:33:03
Mine didn't either. But no surprise as he's very much old school Tory and never responds to anything. I'm probably going to have to vote Labour to get him out next time. :(

*End Is Forever*
16-11-2006, 23:11:46
Are you in Reading East Funko?

notyoueither
17-11-2006, 07:28:21
Not very. She is the minister of the environment, and she just told the Kyoto muffin munchers to get stuffed, with a special mention for how the French minister of the environment should go fuck herself.

notyoueither
17-11-2006, 07:32:11
... but she has nice hair.
http://www.conservative.ca/media/20060621-Ambrose-Bio0.jpg

Resource Consumer
17-11-2006, 12:23:50
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
My MP didn't reply.

Mine neither. Still, she usually ignores her constituents also so at least she is consistent.

Provost Harrison
26-11-2006, 16:26:09
Mine replied, he actually sounded quite positive...and he's Labour...amazing :D

SuperCitizen
26-11-2006, 16:29:57
Most Greens in here are homos. And I don't mean homosexuals, I mean fags, that pollutes the air with their special flavour of anus.

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-11-2006, 22:07:19
That's nice, dear.

Oerdin
27-11-2006, 05:33:30
My Rep is a Republican who only does what people bribe him to do. He doesn't even bring home much pork so he's a completely useless tosser.

Funko
27-11-2006, 09:19:57
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
Are you in Reading East Funko?

Yes, I think so anyway... haven't had a parlimentary election since we moved. MP is Rob Wilson. He seems very old school tory, priorities are "immigration, education and crime...". A big change from Jane Griffiths who was very liberal indeed, although she was very unrebellious in her voting, pretty much always went with the gov't including for Iraq. I imagine the pressure on MPs to do so was huge.

She was eventually ousted by what by all acounts was a Martin Salter led Reading labour old boys coup. He's Labour MP for Reading West and an insufferable self publicist 'tard.