PDA

View Full Version : Sid Milks the Faithful

Resource Consumer
13-11-2006, 11:28:05
I really can't believe this - Sid screws more money out of his fanbase

http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=14

King_Ghidra
13-11-2006, 11:29:54
if people will let themselves be screwed, then screw 'em...

you ARE the planet raping capitalist aren't you?

Funko
13-11-2006, 11:36:06
Sections of the fanbase would absolutely love that collection, so I'm not sure how they'd be screwed by buying it.

Funko
13-11-2006, 11:36:35
Railroads looks good too. Used to have a lot of fun playing transport tycoon.

maroule
13-11-2006, 12:07:48
fanboys are here to be abused, and love it
the only problem you might have, RC, is if you're considering buying it, and hating yourself for it

MDA
13-11-2006, 12:35:40
I had no idea Railroads! was out already. Anyone try it?

Railroads 3 was a bit disappointing - no sandbox competitive game. :mad:

Venom
13-11-2006, 12:48:54
Sid is the George Lucas of the game world.

C.G.B. Spender
13-11-2006, 13:32:36
Originally posted by Funko
Railroads looks good too. Used to have a lot of fun playing transport tycoon.
Wait a year and buy it for 10 EUR

C.G.B. Spender
13-11-2006, 13:33:31
The Chronicles of Civilization: A 96-page book containing the history of Civilization, as told through interviews with past Civilization designers, an interview with Sid Meier and lead designer Soren Johnson, an article by journalist and author Steven L. Kent on the significance of the series in the computer gaming industry, and other original literature.
:violin:

King_Ghidra
13-11-2006, 13:43:58
'original literature' sounds promising

Scabrous Birdseed
13-11-2006, 13:56:12
I much preffer derivative literature.

Funko
13-11-2006, 14:04:34
It goes better with derivative games

maroule
13-11-2006, 14:18:35
I downloaded and played the Warlord extention this WE, pretty nice to see new faces, plus I like the generals and new units

MDA
13-11-2006, 15:19:21
Originally posted by C.G.B. Spender
Wait a year and buy it for 10 EUR

poo

Fistandantilus
13-11-2006, 15:58:52
My 2 cents.

- It's simple.

Micromanaging is kept at a bare minimum. The infarface cannot be more intuitive and easy to learn. You want to build a railroad from A to B? Click A and B and it's done, the Ai takes care of everything, from building bridges/tunnels where necessary to setting the optimal route to avoid hills and other obstacles.

You can access pretty much everything and do a lot of things without ever leaving the main window: buying/selling stocks, connecting two cities, improving your terminals, buying/building factories, upgrading train engines, partecipate to patent auctions and so on.

It uses the same graphic engine as Pirates! and Civ4 so you know what to expect, it reaches a great level of detail graphically, to the extent of depicting the single cows you put on train.

But, the gameplay is simple too:
- there are no signals to place and set, you can only assign priorities to the trains
- there are no interest rates on bonds, you just buy and sell stocks
- I feel maps are generally small and resources too easy to obtain.
- most of the difficulty is "connect that before the Ai" or "do that special mission before time expires"

There are historical scenarioes for single player that are interesting but I'd like they were much more immersive than they are. Playing the tycoon in France during WW2 is something like building up the arms industry (raw metal->steel->small arms) before a certain date and do small missions from time to time. still it'd have been great to have special events and all that.

If you are in search of a detailed, complex, historic, realistic simulation you'll be disappointed. If you just want a game and have some fun building your empire a la sim city it's great.

Snotty
13-11-2006, 16:26:45
railroads is good fun and 17 quid from play.com. Its strength is the speed of multiplayer games, they last no more than an hour. I loved transport tycoon and love this. most of the bitching is because the games isnt really detailed like apparently railroad tycoon 2-3 were. Its an easy game to pick up and play

Resource Consumer
13-11-2006, 16:59:11
Originally posted by maroule
fanboys are here to be abused, and love it
the only problem you might have, RC, is if you're considering buying it, and hating yourself for it

Bastard :)

I think the level of self loathing I would feel would be extreme if I were ever to contemplate buying this.

Yes, fanboys are there to be screwed and it is a free world so it is there problem. It just seems typical of the furryasses to really milk the (good) new product by re-selling the old bug history.:)

JM^3
13-11-2006, 17:23:15
I downloaded and played the Warlord extention this WE, pretty nice to see new faces, plus I like the generals and new units

Apolyton has a guy who improved the AI. People say they had to drop 1-2 levels (Blake is his name).

JM

JM^3
13-11-2006, 17:24:15
Originally posted by Snotty
railroads is good fun and 17 quid from play.com. Its strength is the speed of multiplayer games, they last no more than an hour. I loved transport tycoon and love this. most of the bitching is because the games isnt really detailed like apparently railroad tycoon 2-3 were. Its an easy game to pick up and play

I liked Railroad Tycoon a lot better than 2 or 3. And in some ways it was the simpler game.

JM
(it was also the Sid one)

maroule
13-11-2006, 17:30:38
Originally posted by JM^3
People say they had to drop 1-2 levels (Blake is his name).

JM

not sure I understand
the AI is so much improved it plays two levels up from the original version?

JM^3
13-11-2006, 17:43:31
No, upi have to drop down a couple levels to be as competitive as you were before. Apparently a lot of the fixs have to do with using workers and how to attack.

JM

MDA
13-11-2006, 17:48:16
blake has posted here from time to time

Chris
14-11-2006, 05:17:02
I think its rather good collection, can't see how its a ripoff.

Some people may have missed some of the earlier versions or lost the disks.

There is no new material outside of the commentary and books, so its not much of a rip off, what are you missing if you pass on it?

MoSe
14-11-2006, 10:26:11
If I can leave ToT out of the box, and add DOS Civ I (not just the WinCIV I they have), I might consider it
:p

Funko
14-11-2006, 13:44:25
not sure I understand
the AI is so much improved it plays two levels up from the original version?

well... 1 level up. Maybe 2 with the latest version which I haven't installed yet.

Mainly improved the AI workers (Which is also good if you ever automate them...) and AI city placement so they can actually compete economically later in the game.

A fair amount of those changes were included by Firaxis in 2.08 patch though.

The Mad Monk
16-11-2006, 08:32:27
Originally posted by MoSe
If I can leave ToT out of the box, and add DOS Civ I (not just the WinCIV I they have), I might consider it
:p

What was wrong with TOT? The Science Fiction and Fantasy games kept me playing a lot longer than I otherwise would have.

Fistandantilus
16-11-2006, 08:44:22
Nothing's wrong. I simply think he already has it :)

Deacon
16-11-2006, 21:33:27
EA is doing this with the Command & Conquer franchise. All the C&C games from the last 10 years are being sold together for $40. The upside of buying now is that the older games have been ported to current Windows. It saves people the trouble of setting up environments in which old games may run.

Venom
16-11-2006, 21:53:00
Shit, avoiding that trouble is worth the $40.

JM^3
16-11-2006, 22:15:26
I had a lot of fun with the original CC and Red Alert. Of course, with the broad number of good games in the genre out now.. I am not sure if I would want to go back (even Dune 2, which I thought was better, I am not sure if I am inclined to play again)

JM

Skanky Burns
16-11-2006, 22:53:42
The problem with old games is we are spoilt by new games. Accessing things are so much easier in current games that we forget in Dune 2 you had to select a building and build things one at a time, then send the units one at a time where they were going to. C&C got some of the improvements, but not all of them.

Chris
16-11-2006, 22:58:04
That is basically it, no matter how much fun the old games were, they had serious flaws compared to modern stuff.

Civ 1 had a lot of point and clicking, no city to money production and tedious movement of units as there was no 'go to' commands for example.

The original age of empires had brain dead workers who would stay on the job while being murdered, and no gates for walls.

So many classic games involved minutia I wouldn't bother with anymore.

A good example is PTO, a game I loved, but it really involved a lot of repition to take islands without taking huge losses and would be pedantic today.

Good games of the past really are best left to memory.

The Mad Monk
17-11-2006, 07:44:41
I don't know. I still like kicking back with Total Annihilation, and MoO2, which got me into TBS games in the first place, is still fun to play.

Fistandantilus
17-11-2006, 12:26:53
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
The problem with old games is we are spoilt by new games. Accessing things are so much easier in current games that we forget in Dune 2 you had to select a building and build things one at a time, then send the units one at a time where they were going to. C&C got some of the improvements, but not all of them.

Indeed, I remember how I loved Dune2 and how much I played it but when I went back installing after playing more recent stuff (was Age of Empires I think) I really couldn't stand the clickfest it was. The inability to select multpile units at once was totally unacceptable :(

JM^3
17-11-2006, 13:44:56
I still play Starcraft..

JM

C.G.B. Spender
17-11-2006, 13:47:39
MoO2 is quite funny, I got it on the laptop. And it requres no CD to play

Resource Consumer
20-11-2006, 18:24:13
You bought SimGolf :p

MDA
20-11-2006, 20:07:14