PDA

View Full Version : "We have Asian friends..."

MOBIUS
07-11-2006, 15:46:16
Cameron embarrassed by Tory member's racist email (http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article1961456.ece)

A 'light-hearted' joke?

I cross ocean poor and broke
Take bus, see employment folk.
Nice man treat me good in there.
Say I need to see welfare.
Welfare say, "You come no more,
we send cash right to your door."
Welfare cheques - they make you wealthy!
NHS - it keep you healthy!
By and by, I got plenty money.
Thanks to you, British dummy!
Write to friends in motherland.
Tell them "come fast as you can".
They come in turbans and Ford trucks.
I buy big house with welfare bucks!
They come here, we live together.
More welfare cheques, it gets better!
Fourteen families, they moving in,
but neighbour's patience wearing thin.
Finally, white guy moves away.
Now I buy his house, then I say,
"Find more aliens for house to rent."
And in the yard I put a tent.
Everything is very good,
and soon we own the neighbourhood.
We have hobby, it's called breeding.
Welfare pay for baby feeding.
Kids need dentist? Wife need pills?
We get free! We got no bills!
Britain crazy! They pay all year,
to keep welfare running here.
We think UK darn good place.
Too darn good for the white man race!
If they no like us, they can scram.
Got lots of room in Pakistan!

Seems even Boris Johnson's website got nobbled as well...

Kitsuki
07-11-2006, 15:48:01
Dont even start on this one.... Such a stupid, stupid thing to do... Having read the poem, it's very nasty.

Gary
07-11-2006, 16:07:38
It's an old e-mail. Surely everyone has seen it at least twice by now. I've seen it applied to the UK and the US before now, and I suspect other countries have it also. It's just someone's humorous way of saying how they feel about immigration policy and welfare policy. It's a huge over-reaction as usual, but she should have expected that of the thought police by now.

Funko
07-11-2006, 16:13:28
I'd never seen it before.

And I don't think it's humorous or light hearted, it's quite nasty racist propoganda very thinly disguised.

Venom
07-11-2006, 16:15:55
It's racist against like everyone but white people. So that's ok. Plus it's all true.

Kitsuki
07-11-2006, 16:18:26
Originally posted by Funko
I'd never seen it before.

And I don't think it's humorous or light hearted, it's quite nasty racist propoganda very thinly disguised.

I agree, its very racist, and has all of the humour of a rally of the Third Reich.

Ellie was stupid to forward such a thing (knowing her, I'm positive that she didn't mean to offend anyone with it though.)

Funko
07-11-2006, 16:20:37
I don't know what's worse, being a racist politician or being a politician so stupid you don't know that's offensive...

or blaming your husband for it!
"It's ok, it's not me but like the queen it's my husband that's the racist."

Venom
07-11-2006, 16:21:51
It's English royal tradition! She's staying true to family values.

*End Is Forever*
07-11-2006, 16:59:51
It's a nasty e-mail, she is a complete idiot and she was swiftly dealt with. There is nothing more the Party could have done, and there are bad apples in all of the political parties.

Funko
07-11-2006, 17:03:23
... and I would agree that the furore is totally out of proportion.

Oerdin
07-11-2006, 17:53:43
Originally posted by Venom
It's racist against like everyone but white people. So that's ok. Plus it's all true.

If the UK had a welfare reform measure like the one Clinton passed in the US then there would be no problem with life time welfare users. They'd have to get jobs.

*End Is Forever*
07-11-2006, 18:02:24
... and I would agree that the furore is totally out of proportion.

I think this post by Iain Dale (http://iaindale.blogspot.com/2006/11/news-idol-you-rate-story.html) on the subject was particularly perceptive.

Funko
07-11-2006, 19:04:23
There was a comment/editorial in the Independent* today saying something like "is it really a worthwhile use of police time investigating party contributions, everyone knows what goes on..."

OF COURSE IT IS YOU TWAT! Isn't implied corruption at the highest level of government one of the absolute most important things to investigate? :eek: :rolleyes:

*I was late and they'd sold out of the guardian at twyford station :cry: the independent's sport/arts coverage is shit and not in seperate sections so I had to read the real news

*End Is Forever*
07-11-2006, 23:49:16
Talking of absurd articles, the Guardian Online has published "Saddam - a tribute"

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/david_cox/2006/11/saddam_a_tribute.html

fp
08-11-2006, 07:08:58
That's pretty sick stuff.

"Ok, so Saddam may have killed lots of people, but OMFG BUSH SUCKS AND BLAIR IS A POOPOO HEAD LOLZ!"

Saddam would have had his work cut out to match these figures. So, why are the Iraqis better off without him? The only answer available is that now they are "free". Well, we all value freedom. Some value it more than life, and those who do certainly go on about it. Nonetheless, they are probably a minority.

Living under tyranny may not be ideal, but it is not impossible. In the Soviet Union, life took on a character of its own, in which the human spirit managed to flourish in spite of the political constraints.

Why doesn't it surprise me that a Guardian columnist references the delights and pleasures of life in Soviet Russia. :rolleyes:

Fucking hell I hate that paper.

/edit: This person's comment summed up my feelings much more eloquently than I did:
"What a deeply depressing article. A thinly veiled re-hash of the old 'those dusky savages can't look after themselves, they need a strong arm to keep them happy.'"

Funko
08-11-2006, 09:11:55
Best sports section of any British paper - FACT!

David Cox is basically the newspaper equivalent of an internet troll.. The other week he had a column saying that we should use more energy to force global warming to go faster, because it'd hit the poorer nations like China and India hardest and they are the ones that really need to make the changes:

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/david_cox/2006/10/a_convenient_truth.html

Funko
08-11-2006, 09:22:48
There's a lot of good stuff in there too. I thought this comment piece from yesterday was very good.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/oliver_miles/2006/11/should_he_hang.html

Fistandantilus
08-11-2006, 09:33:56

David Cox is basically the newspaper equivalent of an internet troll.. The other week he had a column saying that we should use more energy to force global warming to go faster, because it'd hit the poorer nations like China and India hardest and they are the ones that really need to make the changes:

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/david_cox/2006/10/a_convenient_truth.html

:D this one is quality

Oerdin
08-11-2006, 10:50:13

Doesn't make up for the other crap - FACT!

Also India and China are the countries causing the biggest increases in global warming output so they do need to be brought in. That's the single biggest reason Koyoto has failed and countries such as the US and Australia haven't signed on to Koyoto. It is insane to allow China and India to pollute to their heart's content while we cap outselves plus it is funny as hell that the countries who signed Koyoto have increased green house gas production WAY after then the US while the US has actually more or less held the line on green house gases.

The best thing that could happen is that third world countries would be forced to sing on, I.E. sign this or no one will trade with you, and if the US Congress would take action to improve fuel economy standards while dramatically increasing funding for mass transit and forcing states to go nuclear. Nuclear power is the anwser to global warming.

Funko
08-11-2006, 11:11:40
Originally posted by Oerdin
Doesn't make up for the other crap - FACT!

I don't see what's so wrong with publishing opinion pieces that some people don't like.

Funko
08-11-2006, 11:23:28
As a newspaper consumer I read the sport secton, then all the arts and general interest stuff, cookery etc. (guardian/observer have Nigel Slater!) and then, if I've run out of things to read start on the news. I very rarely get to the opinion pieces.

Yesterdays dalliance with the Independent reminded me what an unsatisfying paper it is to read (for me). The Times is not as good as it used to be and I can't bring myself to buy Murdoch papers, but the sports and other stuff is pretty decent. The telegraph is just way too dull and takes itself too seriously even if it wasn't a bit right wing.

So there's no real choice in newspapers, and I'm intelligent enough not to take the comment pieces as FACT. I don't think the Guardian in its news coverage is editorially much worse than any of the other broadsheets here. The independent is probably the best for that. I can forgive it the occasional bit of extreme left nonsense from some columnists, because often it at least gets you thinking. There are enough self aware columnists with a sense of humour that you can skip the shit ones.

Of course, we also have this trans-atlantic difference we've discussed before here. Where in the UK we expect our TV news media to be as editorially neutral as possible and we expect our print media to be left or right wing, the opposite seems to be true in the US.

MOBIUS
08-11-2006, 11:41:07
I don't see what's so wrong with publishing opinion pieces that some people don't like.

Exactly. Free speech and all that!:bounce:

Dyl Ulenspiegel
08-11-2006, 12:18:51
Originally posted by Oerdin
Also India and China are the countries causing the biggest increases in global warming output so they do need to be brought in. That's the single biggest reason Koyoto has failed and countries such as the US and Australia haven't signed on to Koyoto.

Not really. It was just used as a rather lame excuse by the corporate puppets which, as it seems, sells quite well.

Venom
08-11-2006, 12:47:10
Also because it would cripple economies and not really do all that much to clean things up. But other than that. Great idea.

Fistandantilus
08-11-2006, 12:53:31
What's wrong with crippling economies?

Venom
08-11-2006, 13:20:32
I have a thing against cripples.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
08-11-2006, 14:01:15
"it would cripple economies"

Sure. Good parrot, good.

Provost Harrison
09-11-2006, 23:43:55
What no-one realises is, this Tory was forwarded it by David Blunkett ;)