PDA

View Full Version : oh no..a serious thread!

devilmunchkin
01-11-2006, 06:42:36
Happy Halloween.

On Tuesdays I have class until 10 pm. The class I TA for has their film viewing (and yes, I have to go for some odd reason). It sucks, yaddah yaddah. The class is all freshman - joy!

So, they all start wandering in and I see this guy who doesn't look right. I look again: it's a white guy who has painted his face, hair and arms brown. I think myself and the other TAs didn't even realize what we were seeing at first, and when we did, our jaws just dropped. I think I spent a bit wondering "is he trying to be what I think he's trying to be for halloween?"
After just a bit of deliberation, we decided that yes, Virginia, he is a racist prick.

Not only that, he had the audacity to raise his hand and state how white people were afraid of people of different ethnicities after we watched a racially charged movie from the 1910's. ALot of the people from different ethnic backgrounds were saying how they still felt out of place and looked down upon by white people...

I think the best word to describe what I'm feeling is sheer disgust. I felt so angry walking home after class that i almost cried out of fury. If that makes any sense... god..i wanted to kick him in the balls.

Diss
01-11-2006, 06:46:09
I don't get it. He dressed up like a black man? Is that the end of the world?

fp
01-11-2006, 07:02:07
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
Not only that, he had the audacity to raise his hand and state how white people were afraid of people of different ethnicities after we watched a racially charged movie from the 1910's. ALot of the people from different ethnic backgrounds were saying how they still felt out of place and looked down upon by white people...

Neither of those things are especially controversial points of view.

We often see that many white people feel threatened by other ethnicities simply because of their religion/skin colour. For example, that case in the UK a few months back where white people demanded that two guys be removed from their flight just because they were *gasp* speaking a foreign language and looked a bit brown. (IIRC it wasn't even arabic they were speaking, but an indian dialect :rolleyes: )

And I expect that many people of non-white ethnic backgrounds do feel looked down upon by white people. They frequently are looked down upon, after all.

Blacking himself up was obviously in very poor taste, though. What a major twat. :gasmaske:

Koshko
01-11-2006, 07:07:13
If it makes you feel any better, I'm fairly sure he's getting his ass kicked in right now.

devilmunchkin
01-11-2006, 07:54:00
if not, i hope he at least fails his paper that is due in the class :mad:

and diss...it's a big deal because i can't stand any type of predjudice....
having been on the receiving side, it's not pretty

mr_G
01-11-2006, 07:54:32
jup, kick'm in the balls.
That's what you dooooo di doooooo with blacks.

mr_G
01-11-2006, 07:59:30
Once i was dispelled from high school for kicking a guy in the balls (well i hit him in the face with my little fist) for wearing a nice swastica on his sleeve.
The headmaster was smiling when he gave me my punishment, because he was proud of me.
My punishment was not going to a schooldance tralalala wich was not a punishment at all.

Fistandantilus
01-11-2006, 08:04:44
After just a bit of deliberation, we decided that yes, Virginia, he is a racist prick.

What does Virginia mean in this sentence? :confused:
Some sort of exclamation mark?

mr_G
01-11-2006, 08:05:31
yaaay why don't you say : jesjes Illinois?

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-11-2006, 08:07:23
When the rest of your community is dressing up as monsters, to go in blackface is one of two things-

1- Really fucking stupid

2- Clever, but utterly lacking in any rational decision-making when it comes to how the clever commentary will be interpreted by the wider world- and therefore really fucking stupid.

devilmunchkin
01-11-2006, 08:14:54
Originally posted by Fistandantilus
What does Virginia mean in this sentence? :confused:
Some sort of exclamation mark?

kinda. I use it as sarcasm. It's from the movie "Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Clause"

mr_G
01-11-2006, 08:18:30
sarcasm, well that's something i nevah use and irony
irony sucks big time.

So why didn't you kick'm in the balls?

Fistandantilus
01-11-2006, 08:28:13
Because she's a lady, not an angry dwarf. And with the expression of sheer disgust hurt him more than ding ding kicking.

Funko
01-11-2006, 09:15:33
It sounds like today she's an angry dwarf lady.

Diss
01-11-2006, 09:18:33
I admit it's tasteless. though you have to hand it to him, he has balls to dress up like that. And he has no authority commenting on racism issues like that (since he's not black).

so what's worse? Dressing up as a black man, dressing up as the crocodile hunter with a barb sticking out of your chest, or dressing up as Adolf Hitler?

mr_G
01-11-2006, 09:20:32
Originally posted by Funko
It sounds like today she's an angry dwarf lady. :lol:

devilmunchkin
01-11-2006, 09:26:32
He probably couldn't make out my expression of disgust more than anyone else's. ALot of people were giving him dirty glares.

ANd i couldn't have kicked him in the balls. 2 reasons:
1) he could have easily kicked my ass
2) I TA for that class..even though he's under one of the other TA, it would look bad if i assaulted a student.

mr_G
01-11-2006, 09:28:56
maybe it was prince Harry with a new practical joke.

Gary
01-11-2006, 11:15:30
I'm sure he was just trying to 'stir it', and from the over-reaction, looks like he succeeded.

Chris
01-11-2006, 23:30:35
He probably couldn't make out my expression of disgust more than anyone else's. ALot of people were giving him dirty glares.

ANd i couldn't have kicked him in the balls. 2 reasons:
1) he could have easily kicked my ass
2) I TA for that class..even though he's under one of the other TA, it would look bad if i assaulted a student. Find the kid in class with a crush on you and get him to kick the other guy in the balls.

Oerdin
02-11-2006, 00:03:40
dressing up as the crocodile hunter with a barb sticking out of your chest

I wish I had thought of that one. Instead I went as an Arabian Shiek. I loaned the jacket/dress thingie to a Hungarian girl I met at the party and she later barfed with part of it getting on my outfit. :/

JM^3
02-11-2006, 01:44:50
I don't think I have ever done anything for halloween

except to go to halloween parties, I put on my hawaiian shirt and said I was going as a surfer..

but the last few years (not this one, as I stayed in playing video games) I have enjoyed the girls in their costumes at parties/bar

JM
(even in the towny bar there was a hot nurse one time (who was a hooker))

Greg W
02-11-2006, 09:26:01
Well, I haven't dressed up for halloween, but I did once go to a party with the theme of "Noir" dressed as a Klan member. The funniest thing was when one girl said "cool, a ghost".

maroule
02-11-2006, 10:23:02
now he's black, he'll probably get harassed by the police anyway

devilmunchkin
02-11-2006, 21:43:55
i learned that this guy wasn't trying to be black..he was trying to be arabic or indian.

JM^3
02-11-2006, 22:13:47
lol

JM

Gary
02-11-2006, 23:13:44
Goodness gracious me !