PDA

View Full Version : (*&iojashd09*&(* DFs979*&S!!!!!!

Beta1
30-10-2006, 17:55:33
god the kids drove me mental today.

They shouldnt be allowed holidays they are soo much easier to control when they are worn out.

*End Is Forever*
30-10-2006, 18:39:22
Quite right, you should be stuck in the classroom with them 52 weeks a year.

Beta1
30-10-2006, 18:52:49
Right now that sounds like a good idea.

Or even better we could make the classes the right size, give the ones who can't read properly the education they need so they don't cause chaos everywhere else and provide a budget big enough so I can actually photocopy resources that are needed for the ones who are functionally illiterate.

Yeah, as if thats going to happen!

Deacon
30-10-2006, 20:07:26
School reform? Might as well ask for society reform. :)

I don't know how it works in the UK, but politics in the US put the burden on the schools, regardless of who/what the parents/guardians/voters are sending them in the way of students/resources. Most parents take responsibility. But in my opinion, there are more than a few who make things difficult because they will accept no bad news.

Deacon
30-10-2006, 20:14:18
An additional problem is resources. If we say we want a job to be attractive, then nothing attracts like a higher salary. :)

Beta1
30-10-2006, 21:24:53
Originally posted by Deacon
I don't know how it works in the UK, but politics in the US put the burden on the schools, regardless of who/what the parents/guardians/voters are sending them in the way of students/resources.

sounds pretty similar to over here.

Still its only going to get better after this year. The current year 11 are possibly the worst year I've seen in any of the three schools I've been at. Just got to survive to the end of the spring term and then they are gone.

Year 10 are much nicer and year 9 actually has some quite pleasent classes in it. I have one year 9 class who I can just tell what to do, they go and get the bunsen burners etc. do the experiment and tidy up with me barely having to do more than fix the occasional dodgy gas tap. Can't do that with my year 11, they would burn the lab down.

JM^3
30-10-2006, 21:54:27
An additional problem is resources. If we say we want a job to be attractive, then nothing attracts like a higher salary. :)

yeah, here teachers often get payed fairly low salaries

a few places it is decent, but they have to put up with a lot..

of course, I think it comes out that among common majors, education majors have some of the lowest standard scores...

JM
(I mean stuff like SAT, GRE, etc)

Gary
31-10-2006, 08:24:28
I blame the teachers.

MoSe
31-10-2006, 09:08:27
leave those kids alone

mr_G
31-10-2006, 09:10:05
I don't feel sorry for you

MDA
31-10-2006, 12:40:40
what kills me is that parents end up paying all kinds of 'voluntary' (everyone pays up) fees for kids school supplies

when I was in school, there were notebooks and pencils aplenty to be had, and the textbooks were old but serviceable (the history texts were full of lies, but meh)

If there isn't money for simple office supplies for the kids, raise the damned taxes, its called public education for a reason

and JM has a point- schoolteachers get the shaft - sure, many only work 9 months of the year, but the pay still doesn't scale right

you get a handful of fantastic teachers dedicated enough to ignore the pay (some of these end up teaching private schools), and a bunch of victims of "those who can't do, teach"

My science teacher in the 6th grade did next to nothing all year- he actually had chemicals that he just left us to play with while he read books and newspapers - occasionally he'd read a chapter from the textbook aloud, word for word, but most of the time he just left us to mix random stuff together to see what happened (it was general science, chemistry didn't start until 9th grade). We actually started a fire in the sink while cleaning up at the end of class one day. EVERYTHING went down the drain, and some of it didn't mix well. :lol:

Oh, and kids that were in "gifted" accelerated learning-type classes got singled out for his communist tirades.

MDA
31-10-2006, 12:42:44
what the hell was my point?

mr_G
31-10-2006, 12:45:00
dunno bet you are a bit nervous because it's almost switching summerclothes/winterclothes taaim.

JM^3
31-10-2006, 14:05:11
My highschool calculus teacher would just play soltaire in the back...

I really didn't learn much of that

JM

Deacon
31-10-2006, 15:31:33
Accelerated classes? Having them is politically incorrect because that would be an admission that some kids are more equal than others. According to the "no bad news" rule, when somebody somewhere is further ahead, that means somebody's further behind, and that's bad news. And we can't have bad news.

*End Is Forever*
31-10-2006, 16:04:32
It's like the "Education shock - 50% of children are below average!" headline...

Funko
31-10-2006, 16:06:43
I blame the parents.

mr_G
31-10-2006, 16:08:24
I blame god, and Deutschland

Funko
31-10-2006, 16:11:30
I blame Adrian.

mr_G
31-10-2006, 16:12:12
age 13 3/4?

Funko
31-10-2006, 16:13:02
Thirty and 3/4 :(

Beta1
31-10-2006, 16:44:08
Originally posted by MDA

My science teacher in the 6th grade did next to nothing all year- he actually had chemicals that he just left us to play with while he read books and newspapers - occasionally he'd read a chapter from the textbook aloud, word for word, but most of the time he just left us to mix random stuff together to see what happened (it was general science, chemistry didn't start until 9th grade). We actually started a fire in the sink while cleaning up at the end of class one day. EVERYTHING went down the drain, and some of it didn't mix well. :lol:

Oh, and kids that were in "gifted" accelerated learning-type classes got singled out for his communist tirades.

If it wasnt for the fact we are on different sides of the pond I would think we had the same guy

As for the stationary - if the parents could teach kids that the pens work better without being taken apart and the little spring bit lost/end snapped off/ink bit broken then the bill for new pens, new books etc. would be much lower.

Also if the kids could be trusted not to lose everything then we could actually do proper work with textbooks.

On the other hand today was much better.

Two pretty good lessons were a decent amount of work got done, one group of stupid year 9s who cannot follow simple instructions and one group of obnoxious year 11s who are the first class in two years to actually make me lose it. (not the whole class just two or three tossers in it).

Basically they implied that another student was getting preferencial treatment and that they should act up so they get the same.

The student in question has cerebal palsy and despite that is an absolute inspiration. Never complains, never gives anything less than 100%. Unlike the complainers.

I gave up on shouting at them and let the head of department deal with it.

MDA
31-10-2006, 17:06:18
Accelerated classes? Having them is politically incorrect because that would be an admission that some kids are more equal than others. According to the "no bad news" rule, when somebody somewhere is further ahead, that means somebody's further behind, and that's bad news. And we can't have bad news.

"Everybody's special, Dash"

"That's the same thing as saying nobody is."

one of my favorite lines from the Incredibles

OMG nerf smart people, they totally have an unfair advantage in school!