PDA

View Full Version : MTW II

maroule
19-10-2006, 16:24:19
we're just a few days off now

I'll pre-buy it, needless to say, but I was wondering who else was planning to get it from the start

Venom, joke apart, what are your expectations on this one?

Venom
19-10-2006, 16:34:13
If they keep it like R:TW it'll at least be alright. Not sure any of the "updates" are all that enticing though.

maroule
19-10-2006, 16:45:23
as usual, the claims are very ambitious, and lots will depend on how well they shaped the AI to have a resonnably looking human behaviour (on upholding alliances for example)

- Graphically it will be stunning, that's a given
- I'm a bit worried as usual about the speed of play (before modding, in Rome, the legionnaires were all olympic sprinters)
- Historically, it will probably be very suspect, as usual
- The innovations are mostly coming from players feedback and are all interesting for the depth of play (build either a military or an economic province, attract different guild masters, merchant wars, improved diplomacy and agent plays, etc.)
- the idea of landing troops to fight the mayas is quite exciting I must say

Beta1
19-10-2006, 17:20:48
whats the minimum specs?

Chris
19-10-2006, 17:39:46
Its supposed to be relased in mid Novemeber here, I have a review request in for it.

HelloKitty
19-10-2006, 20:25:46
There is supposed to be a demo out already. Haven't tried it yet.

Chris
20-10-2006, 15:56:06
I saw screens and a preview for it Kitty, the guy was gushing but that is almost any preview of a game as they want to suck up to game companies.

It looks like they used teh same graphic engine for battle that they used in RTW.

MDA
23-10-2006, 04:02:42
I may have the demo, I should look for that CD.

HelloKitty
15-11-2006, 03:08:13
Well, it is out officially (although it hit some places last week).

Anyone try it yet?

I will have it in 24 hours, but won't have any real time to try it until probably next Monday or Tuesday.

King_Ghidra
15-11-2006, 08:56:10
Eurogamer gave it 9/10:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=69797

Fistandantilus
15-11-2006, 09:47:43
So Maroule writes for Eurogamer uh?

maroule
15-11-2006, 13:08:22
I'm still waiting for it, fucking amazon

HelloKitty
17-11-2006, 04:51:20
Played a few hours.

Its a refinement and revamp of RTW.

Its just rtw with more, cooler, nastier, troops etc.

+ the pope instead of the senate telling you to do things.

As such, its great!

Nothing overly new per say. Same interface, same base map with new cities. SOme new units for campaign mode and diplo options. Uses the same engine, some grapics updates. Some AI behavior changes.

Not a giant leap forward, but better than RTW.

Now hopefully the RTR peopel will make MTR!!!

MDA
17-11-2006, 05:58:37
Originally posted by maroule
I'm still waiting for it, fucking amazon

you like tall girls?

maroule
17-11-2006, 08:35:37
I do, but they don't like me: I'm still waiting :bash:

Fistandantilus
17-11-2006, 12:20:25
Arrived today and I can't probably play it till next week-end :(

HelloKitty
21-11-2006, 19:52:58
Go buy it. I stole it to try and bought it today.

I may do a write up but am lazy.

There was supposed to be a patch released the day of the game release, but they delayed it 2 weeks to add the unpacker to it so that the mod comm can get on it. Sadly that means there are a couple glaring bugs.

The complaints I have heard (and seen)

1- A combat bug where there is a chance the enemy will just stand there and let you kill them. Fixed in patch 1 (which comes out in a week). This happens every time your army is 100% archers.

2- The computer cannot help attacking your ports sometimes. Regardless of your status. The next turn they often send a diplomat and ask for a ceasefire/trade rights then an alliance. Then 3 or 4 turns later they attack a port and repeat. This is also fixed in the patch.

3- A diplo bug. If you are at war with 2 factions that share any borders with you, you cannot cease fire with anyone ever. Hopefully this is in the patch (have not seen anything bug I doubt it wouldn't be)

Fistandantilus
27-11-2006, 20:56:08
I'm starting to hate diplomacy *a lot*.
And the Pope.

HelloKitty
27-11-2006, 21:21:42
Yeah, diplo really is crap. Apparently the only goal that they gave the AI is to take 45 cities to win. Therefore it has no self preservation, no reason, no anything and will attack a vastly more powerful foe because all it wants is 45 zones. It even will break a vassalage to attack you.

As for the pope, just pay him off. Every round check your favour with him and give him up to 12k cash as a gift. 12k will take you from bottom to perfect. After that unless you are really pissing him off you can just pay him 1-3k a turn to stay perfect.

C.G.B. Spender
28-11-2006, 22:34:40
No

Fistandantilus
30-11-2006, 08:59:16
Well I don't know about ai goals, but it sure act randomly sometimes.

Last night I was England in a 50 turns long alliance with Scotland, we fought wars together, I did help them in numerous occasions and I even have a princess married to their heir (the manual says it's a good thing to strengthen alliances :p)..

Then I get dragged in a prolonged war against the HRE and the scots attack York out of the blue.. ok, fine and dandy, backstabbing is part of the game. The problem is York is a fortified city with a strong garrison and the attackers get utterly decimated. Two turns later my army is sieging Edinburgh and saking the city, Inverness falls shortly after to complete the total annihilation of the scots. Why did you force me into this turns of events? :(

It seems like they thought they were in a 'now or never' situation but it really wasn't the case.

Chris
02-12-2006, 19:43:59
This is finally being sent fro review, only 6 weeks after my request for it.

Fistandantilus
05-12-2006, 00:16:44
If you're lucky you could even play it patched.

maroule
05-12-2006, 08:36:47
finally installed it tonight
fuck this game is greedy in ressources: I have all my settings in low, and it still comes out pretty ugly. Any ideas on how to boost graphical performance? RTW was running beautifully, so their claim that the two would run "similarly" is a blatant lie

Fistandantilus
05-12-2006, 18:28:24
Definitely a lie, but that's not surpising if you consider that you can see light effects on armors and such and there are thousands of animated soldiers on the battlefield.

Actually I think that kind of details was unnecessary, I always play battles at max zoom out..

But.. didn't you play Oblivion, MTW's less demanding than that I believe? :confused:
I have all graphic settings maxed and it runs very smooth...

HelloKitty
05-12-2006, 19:09:29
What graphic card etc are you using? There are some conflicts that will probably be fixed int he patch.

It runs just as well as RTR does on my computer.

maroule
06-12-2006, 10:59:55
I played Oblivion on my 360
I think my graphical card is pretty old, I'll check what it is tonight, but it's probably the cause of it (I've just upgraded my ram memory)

I had forgotten about that need to contantly upgrade your PC :(
my machine is a Frankestein creation, with ill-fitted bits and piece assembled by a series of mad tecnicians

Funny episode yesterday night; as Venice VH/VH, I was kicking Milan's butt, leaving them just Marseille as a province (didn't want to exterminate them). Then the Pope died (I had excellent relations with him) and a new one comes for election; 3 candidates, including one from Milan... I vote for the Portuguese one, and of course, the escalope milanese wins... immediately I get a 0 rating with him ("the pope thinks the eternal flames of hell are too good for you") and he orders me to stop any hostile action with Milan in the next two turns...

I abide, even proposing peace, which they decline... and then they siege Milan (the city, that I had held for a couple of years), and the next year, before I can muster a rescue party, rush an assault and take it :eek:

... and right after, I get a mission completed statement from the Pope, congratulating me for not having attacked Milan in the last two turns :lol: :shoot: that's really taking the piss

all in all, very enjoyable

Fistandantilus
06-12-2006, 12:47:21
That's why I hate the pope.
But in my second game (as France) I had England pissing me off royally so I convinced the pope to launch a crusade, target: London. It was fun when the Danes sacked the city and I was finally able to secure Caen :D

maroule
06-12-2006, 13:39:47
I wasn't complaining, having the pope around is nice, makes the game a little less easy and predictable

the problem with the TW series has always been how easy it gets, and the more challenges, the better. Otherwise, it's just about pushing stacks across the map.

Chris
09-12-2006, 05:23:41
Played through the tutorial, the graphic engine is nearly identical to RTW with some slight improvement.

The game looks and plays the same as RTW with the appropreate change of venue to the middle ages.

Chris
09-12-2006, 08:07:43
Played a little of the campaign as Spain, I can't figure out why money fluxuates even if you have govs in each place and don't spend.

Don't know if its WAD or a bug.

HelloKitty
10-12-2006, 00:23:03
MOney fluxuates due to

1- the overly rapid population growth. This causes changes in happiness.

2- The fact that govoners gain traits both hidden and shown based on what is in the town.

Many people have found its better not to use govoners at all because of the bad traits they tend to barely help or bring down cities.

Chris
11-12-2006, 16:55:15
Taken 15 areas so far, Spain has wiped out the Moors and Portugual, and my French allies just betrayed me so their 6 araes are next.

This game is more difficult the RTW, but I figured out how to use merchants.

There is a four top resource areas near Argin and Timbuktu, just send merchants and nobody bothers you down there.

The Crusade stuff is fun unless one is called against a power that is very strong, but I got the pope to call several against the moors giving my troops extra experience and movement and also getting cash from the pontiff.

One thing for sure, do NOT trust allies in this game.

HelloKitty
11-12-2006, 17:27:50
Yeah, diplomacy is completely broken.

When you get a merchents guild, move your capital to that city and watch what happens to your merch income.

maroule
12-12-2006, 08:48:11
Originally posted by Chris
my French allies just betrayed me

you had it coming

HelloKitty
12-12-2006, 15:00:39
Maybe the patch will come out before x-mas.

They said it was planned to be released on the day the game came out. THen they said it was in the final 2 weeks of Q&A on the day the game came out. Then the 1st they said it would be out in a few days "NOT WEEKS"...

Anyway, the player made mods are starting to come out. Some larger maps with more settlements are already out, along with some diplomacy mods.

Beta1
12-12-2006, 17:31:41
cool, I might have the cash for a new PC after christmas and then I will be able to play it :)

HelloKitty
12-12-2006, 19:56:31
If you can play RTW you can probably handle m2tw. DL it illegally you fucking theif and see.

Beta1
12-12-2006, 20:33:37
I would do but its so big it would use my bandwidth limit for the next three months.

I do have a demo of it somewhere but I'm just too busy to play it.

+ I havnt finished the killing pontus and the selucids and then my phalanxes have a holiday booked near the pyramids.

Chris
12-12-2006, 21:15:15
Its more resource intensive then RTW, although I don't know why as it looks the same.

I have had two crashes so far and one lock up.

HelloKitty
15-12-2006, 15:26:26
Patch is out today. Will see how it is.

For some reason they didn't include a fix for 2 handed axe troops. We get to wait till feb for that or use a player made hotfix.

If you didn't know, 2 handed axe users have an animation bug causing them to attack only about once per minute.

When 100 peasents can kill 120 elite axemen, you would think that the company might fix that in a patch...

maroule
15-12-2006, 15:31:23
or that players would stop buying two handed weapons...

the passive AI patch (enemy troops getting showered by arrows till death without moving) is a bigger problem to me (but then, as Venise, I don't get two handed weapons anyway)

Fistandantilus
15-12-2006, 15:36:00
Gotta check out, did they fix the merchants bug?

Fistandantilus
15-12-2006, 15:46:44
-Fixed Merchant Resource value dropping after load/save

seems so :D

And it's amazing how they already realesed localized patches too :eek:

Not that it matters to me since I have the english version but very well done :beer:

HelloKitty
15-12-2006, 20:36:33
It isn't amazing. THe patch was supposed to be released a month ago. They had an extra 30 days to make sure they could release worldwide.

Chris
02-01-2007, 20:33:31
My review can be found here. (http://www.killerbetties.com/medieval_ii_total_war_review_pc)

Greg W
06-01-2007, 00:31:01
Only really finding two problems with this game.

One being that the end game tends to drag on a little, like RTW did.

And two being that if another catholic country declares war on me, the Pope gets pissed at me when I go beat the daylights out of them. Seems there's some kind of hardcoded limit that if a catholic country has two cities left, he threatens to excommunicate you if you wipe them out.

And I still haven't figured out how to vassalise someone. :confused:

HelloKitty
06-01-2007, 14:00:29
If you download some of the player madfe diplo fixed you the vassal option and the excomm things will start to make sense.

As it is, they don't work even with patch 1.

LoD
06-01-2007, 17:46:33
Got it for X-Mas.

Enjoying it so far, I've noticed several quirks however:
-the unit AI is sometimes abysmal. The worst part is charging cavalry with a boulder blocking its path. Usually they stop, try to walk around the boulder very slowly, then charge with next to no momentum.
-I've had all nations become unlocked after I finished the short campaign (not that I complain ;) )
-it looks like (from Chris's review) that different language versions possess different starting unlocks. For example, I didn't get Venice, but I got the Holy Roman Empire.
-the Pope's ceasefires are broken, as maroule pointed out. I had an opposite situation. I got a Cease and Desist order from Papa as I was besieging a city. I didn't stop the siege, and after a turn the defenders sallied out. I won, and conquered the city. However, despite this, I got a "mission successful" message.
-Polish Admirals saying "Da?". WHAT THE FUCK!?

Speaking of Chris's review, there's a small factual error in it: you don't have to lay siege to a city for a minimum of two turns, you can attack immediately, given the right circumstances.

Anyway, my biggest gripe is everyone else's as well, it seems. Namely, the broken diplomacy. How the hell did Fist get such a lasting alliance is beyond me. Currently, I'm at war with all my neighbors, without provocation on my part. Additionally, one of them is refusing to become a vassal state despite being left with a single province. Any hints on convincing the AI to become more peaceful?

Also, does anyone know what's with the hotseat options in the config file?

And do famous battlefields give any bonuses?

Fistandantilus
06-01-2007, 19:40:23
How the hell did Fist get such a lasting alliance is beyond me.

The 50 years long with the Scots? Quite easy, keep a strong garrison in York :D

Yes, that defeat the whole concept of alliance but, as sad as it is, a way to keep good relations/alliance with a neighbour is stationing overwhelming forces near the border. Treat your ally as the worst of your enemies and he will be a good ally :lol:
That's the main reason diplomacy pisses me off.

Chris
07-01-2007, 01:04:56
Well, there are always errors in reviews, so it goes.

LoD
07-01-2007, 16:16:52
Fist: please define "strong garrison" :)...

Chris: yup, I just wanted to point it out in case someone needs that piece of information.

HelloKitty
07-01-2007, 19:03:05
Strong garrison = a number of armies of roughly the same strength as the total allied armies. All visable to the ally on or over their border.

Plus you can donate a few k cash every single round to even further lessen the chance they will attack you for no reason.

Greg W
08-01-2007, 02:01:11
Originally posted by HelloKitty
MOney fluxuates due to

1- the overly rapid population growth. This causes changes in happiness.

2- The fact that govoners gain traits both hidden and shown based on what is in the town.

Many people have found its better not to use govoners at all because of the bad traits they tend to barely help or bring down cities. As an aside, I also noticed that every turn your crop return changes, and that directly effects your income.

Chris
08-01-2007, 02:54:29
Originally posted by LoD
Fist: please define "strong garrison" :)...

Chris: yup, I just wanted to point it out in case someone needs that piece of information. No worries.

I'm not going to play it again until I upgrade my system, I ordered a Gig of Ram, that should make it play a little better.

Fistandantilus
08-01-2007, 12:55:35
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Strong garrison = a number of armies of roughly the same strength as the total allied armies. All visable to the ally on or over their border.

:D Exactly.

maroule
08-01-2007, 13:11:14
I'm starting my 5th campaign, the mods have rekinkled my interest.

Vanilla, even on VH/VH, gets too easy and repetitive, and once you start managing a really big empire, the path finding makes it as fun as working for Accenture on a mission for the NHS.

I advise the Long road (version 1.5) or lands to conquer (v2.0 just out). They fix almost all bugs (two handed, princess, etc.), improve the diplomacy, AI and battles, and add a few nice touches (some of them have the title system, straight from MTW)

HelloKitty
08-01-2007, 23:48:10
I don't know if either of those use the huge map.

The huge map fixes a lot of the AI pathing problems.

maroule
09-01-2007, 08:26:47
I'm now trying the Renaissance one
pretty good, but small map and weird archer ammo problem

Fistandantilus
09-01-2007, 10:35:30
Where do you find mods?

maroule
09-01-2007, 10:43:19
I find quite a few here

http://forums.totalrealism.net/index.php?showforum=173

or on the official forum of Sega (which seems down right now)

Fistandantilus
09-01-2007, 10:58:46
Tx :), I'll try them out.

Greg W
09-01-2007, 12:09:47
I found a few here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php).

LoD
12-01-2007, 11:36:50
Anyone up for an MP battle today?

LoD
16-01-2007, 13:57:17
Nobody is playing this anymore, or what? Bastards, the lot of you :p.

Beta1
23-01-2007, 19:58:51
well I just bough tit only to find the DVD player on my PC wont play the dam disc.

It is a very old drive so it will be out to the shops tomorrow to pick up a cheap replacement...

LoD
23-01-2007, 20:16:01
Yaaay. Which faction are you going to start with?

Beta1
23-01-2007, 20:34:18
probably the english,

LoD
23-01-2007, 20:36:24
Can't say I'm surprised ;).

Beta1
23-01-2007, 20:43:11
longbows still as devastating as before?

LoD
23-01-2007, 20:47:49
Haven't played the campaign as the English, but if the historical Battle of Agincourt is any indication, then they are quite effective. However, I saw at least one mod increasing their stats, so they may have been weakened, but not necessarily - hard to say.

Beta1
23-01-2007, 21:48:58
THey were lethal in the original game - to the point they were toned down in a patch. Maybe they erred on the side of caution this time.

I think they should be lethal but either limited to being trained in 1-2 provinces or limited in some other way (even by time period perhaps)

LoD
23-01-2007, 22:02:53
Meh, nothing that a decent force of Polish mounted crossbowmen can't handle ;).

HelloKitty
23-01-2007, 22:10:37
The english have a mix of really shitty and really amazing troops. Most of the game they are shitty. Add the special fantasy unit, "Sherwood archers" and they become unstoppable.

Beta1
24-01-2007, 17:32:24
well I now have dumped the shitty DVD drive (turned out it was a 2x drive )

Now have all singing all dancing philips DVD burner that does that trick of etching labels onto the top of the disk.

Beta1
24-01-2007, 18:54:10
something weird is happening MTW2 is forcine my monitor to run at 60htz - which it doesnt like and is making a whining noise.

I cant figure out why though - the graphics options on windows are all set to run at 70htz in that resolution and I cant find a way to change it in MTW2

Beta1
24-01-2007, 21:03:26
found it, had to go into the Nforce driver options and change the way the card selected the refresh rate Now its gone to 75htz and the monitor ir happy.

+ it looks rather better.

Now if only it didnt chug so badly in the battle scenes....

LoD
24-01-2007, 21:54:19
Defrag your drive after install?

Beta1
25-01-2007, 07:22:25
nah its my ancient PC - its got a 6800GT video card which is showing its age. I looked at upgrading the card but as I dont have PCI-E the best I can do is something like a nvidia 7600 or 7800 which is not really the jump in performance thats worth doing.

I'm looking at rebuilding the PC almost completely over the Easter holidays so I'll just put up with MTW with low graphics settings till then.

Chris
25-01-2007, 14:50:48
The battle lag is not a Video card issue, I had it also.

Its a RAM issue, you need at least a gig of RAM to run the battles, especialy in the late game.

Upgrade the RAM should cure that.

Beta1
25-01-2007, 16:29:42
already have a gig of ram, not sure of the speed. Same thing applies though - no point spending money on upgrading a obselete motherboard.

LoD
25-01-2007, 20:43:10
I stand by my opinion that defrag helps significantly, knowing this from my own experience with the game :).

Also, the most resource-intensive thing are the shadows, as far as I've notices. I also have an Nvidia card.

Beta1
25-01-2007, 20:57:35
cant hurt I guess - I'll leave it running overnight

LoD
25-01-2007, 22:17:54
Remember to turn off antivirus scanning - will work faster.

Beta1
26-01-2007, 18:22:49
I forgot to do it!

Still MTW seems to be working much better now

LoD
26-01-2007, 18:25:54
Forgot to turn off the antivirus I wager?

See, told ya!

Anyway, to reiterate - anyone up for an MP battle?

Beta1
27-01-2007, 00:29:19
no just forgot to defrag. Did it while I was out tonight - typiucally the only file that would not defrag was one of the MTW2 ones so I guess its time to uninstall, defrag again and reinstall

BTW when do the english get any decent spear infantry? I've upgraded nottingham loads and am still getting just spear levies and billmen which are nowhere near as good as the french armoured sargeants

LoD
27-01-2007, 10:31:51
You don't need to reinstall - in fact, it will worsen the situation, as you will need to defrag more of the files, again - takes longer. Just free up some space on the HD (say, 2GB), turn off your antivirus, and try again.

You probably want Armored Seargants. You can get them at castles, I'm not sure with which building though - I'm playing the English right now, but on Lands to Conquer.

Beta1
27-01-2007, 10:52:09
theres 10gb free on the drive so I dont think thats an issue, antivirus is off.

LoD
27-01-2007, 14:25:26
Think again. I had the same problem with 33 GB of free space. Deleted 2 GB of files, it worked.