PDA

View Full Version : How do you floss?

JM^3
13-10-2006, 08:28:14
So my dentist told me (like a month ago, when I went) that I had no cavities. Which surprised me, I expected a couple.

However, she said I would get cavities if I didn't start flossing.

Well, I tried tonight, and except for 4-5 on the front top, I was unsuccessful. It is complicated by the fact that I have a wire behind my front bottom teeth.

Anyways, what is others experience?

JM

Gary
13-10-2006, 08:53:02
I experience difficulty geting the floss between my teeth and consequent bleeding gums each time I try. So I don't try unless I have something stuck between my teeth. And it's not partiularly efficient for that either. If God had meant us to floss he'd have given us a stringy tongue.

Skanky Burns
13-10-2006, 11:29:53
Bleeding from flossing means your gums are weak. You get stronger gums from flossing. Floss more and you will stop bleeding. You will stop bleeding from flossing, anyway.

Provost Harrison
15-10-2006, 23:56:03
How insulting, calling someone weakgums!

Cruddy
16-10-2006, 07:44:30
Practise.

I've got one particular tooth that I can't floss properly - it's split on the inside so the floss always gets caught.

MY dentist is too thick to work this out.

MoSe
16-10-2006, 11:37:57
I never had flossed, nobody taught me.
Never had a cavity in my life, anyway.

I went some years ago to a control, as it was a long time and a schoolmate of mine had become a dentist and opened his studio nearby.

The teeth were OK, but there was a geologic tartar concretion and the gums had receded a lot.
The cleaning took over one hour pick and scalpel work.
I enjoyed it, as the assistant had her soft and perfumed bosom often brush the top of my head, when not outright letting my head rest on it, while she treated the most inaccessible and resisting recesses of my teeth from above.
I'm the only one I know enjoying the dentist!
I felt refreshed and renewed. She taught me how to floss.
It took some exercise, I went down from 15-20 minutes to 10. Every night before sleep...

Six months later another visit for check and cleaning.
Wonderful.

Further 6 months later, my friend told me that I must have been so religious in flossing, that there was practically no tartar to clean.
Whith such standards, I could reduce the controls to one per year.

One year later, I got cleaned by my friend himself, as Grace (his assistant) was on leave because pregnant of her 2nd baby.
My friend is very skilled but it didn't feel the same.

After almost 2 years, I got frankly bored of that slavish chore, I began to miss some flossing once in a while, and then I gave up altogether.

I flouted one check, as I was "too busy", and then never got to the dentist again, I just regularly brush as I did before.

Of course my gums are not splendid now as they were during that 2-year flossing stint, but I think they're in acceptable conditions.
Maybe in few years I'll have another thorough cleansing done.
Maybe

Fistandantilus
16-10-2006, 11:43:34
Another great example of how lazyness always prevails in the end.

MoSe
16-10-2006, 11:47:15
In this case I fell out of Grace

MOBIUS
16-10-2006, 12:04:56
Flossing is a boring pain in the arse!

My only concession to looking after my teeth was getting an electric toothbrush bought for me by my gf, but I can only be bothered brushing before bed...

I average a check up every few years (3 years and counting - in fact I think I have only been 3 times in my adult life!) and last time my teeth were in perfect condition, just needed some tartar removal...

So, too lazy to visit the dentist (3 trips in 17 years).

Too lazy to floss, too lazy to buy my electric tootbrush - or toothpaste (gf does all that), and too lazy to brush more than once a day - sometimes (rarely, e.g. camping) I don't even do that...

In fact, the most effort I've put into 'looking after my teeth' in a long time, was writing this email.

Never had a filling in my life, and no reason to think I'd need one now.

Funko
16-10-2006, 12:07:58
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Flossing is a boring pain in the arse!

Ditch those thongs!

MOBIUS
16-10-2006, 12:16:28
That must be where I'm going wrong!:D

Kitsuki
16-10-2006, 12:24:25
Originally posted by MoSe

Who is Grace and what were you doing inside her?

MoSe
16-10-2006, 13:04:37
Actually, she was inside my mouth

Fistandantilus
16-10-2006, 13:41:53
That sounds dirty

Funko
16-10-2006, 13:42:18
That's why she was cleaning it.

C.G.B. Spender
16-10-2006, 18:58:05
Floss?

Provost Harrison
16-10-2006, 20:45:55
Originally posted by MoSe

So did *End Is Forever* ;)

Diss
16-10-2006, 22:20:25
I don't seem to have much dexterity to get my back teeth.

I hate flossing, I rarely do it.

MoSe
17-10-2006, 06:41:57
Originally posted by C.G.B. Spender
Floss?

the nick of that Florence lass, after she left you

Koshko
17-10-2006, 06:57:53
Real men don't floss unless they feel a big piece of gristle in between their teeth.

MoSe
17-10-2006, 07:26:47
that's not what flossing is actually for, major obstacles are still best removed with a pick.

would you use a vacuum to remove debris from a crumbled down building?

:)

you're right anyway: you're not a real man until you can show your steel denture!

http://www.martinamerica.com/images/content/jaws.jpg

Gary
17-10-2006, 08:00:01
You can't always get a toothpick into the required position, unless you have massive gaps between teeth I suppose. So one has to try flossing, although it takes ages to achieve anything even if you do. And the bright red floss isn't nice to see.