PDA

View Full Version : my first teaching experience

devilmunchkin
12-10-2006, 04:31:53
taught my first two classes this week.

Both were completely different experiences..each class has different things they need help with or to center on, despite the fact that they are studying the same thing (film studies from 1885-1935).

Yesterday was great..did the whole introduction thing, went over the syllabus..then spent the rest of the class talking about their papers that are due soon.

But this morning: I was done with everything 25 minutes into the class as they didn't need nearly the amount of help on getting their papers started. I believe this had something to do with the professor going over it last night at the film viewing.

So i started trying to get a discussion going..but on projectors..it's really hard to do..i felt so stupid. and we have "the smart" person in the class whom said "the book discuss this alot" when i tried to ask a question to get them talking..like i shouldn't ask things that are in the book...

JM^3
12-10-2006, 05:11:53
I had a real hard time leading some classes in discussion.

Some wanted me to do the problems for them, while they copied them to turn in. Others appreciated looking at additional problems. Still others appreciated looking over old problems they had gotten wrong. These were the good classes, and often didn't take the alloted 50 minutes. Good classes 1/3 of the students would be interested in these sort of things.

For bad classes only a couple people would be interested in the above things, or no one at times. And few would come or not really ask questions.

This is based upon my expereince running Discussions for Physics classes for 3 years.

Students who are on the ball will often come, but don't need you. A lot of other students just won't care that much, and won't come. How many students you have that need help, want help, and accept the help given can vary a lot for a given session.

I think it helps if they are basically required.. Generally there was something to be gained from even a poor TA like myself if the students were available. I did have one of the professors trick some of his students, telling them that we would offer ExtraCredit problems (which we did), and then not really considering that when he came up with the grades.

Jon Miller

Beta1
12-10-2006, 06:29:46
point out that the book is not doing the course. Then make suer you keep going back to that person when questioning to make sure that they get the hint that they need to know it not just own a book with the answers.

MoSe
12-10-2006, 07:21:06
I got told once that a real engineer doesn't need to know the answers, but rather in which book to look to find them
:hmm:

Chris
12-10-2006, 12:55:30
You need to get a Nun's habit and a ruler, that will learn em!

Beta1
12-10-2006, 18:06:47
mose - probably true, however GCSE science doesnt work that way!

devilmunchkin
12-10-2006, 19:36:03
beta..good idea.

Chris
12-10-2006, 19:49:40
Kick him in the balls.

Beta1
12-10-2006, 19:53:01
or you could just attach a couple of large crocodile clips to him and apply some mains current. Thats what I feel like at the moment.

Had a kid accuse me of humilating and swearing at him today.

Or to put it another way when told he was in detention he made a loud grunting noise - I did the same to him (always shuts them up). He stormed out and came back with his head of year. He claimed I had called him a 'mong' (pupil slang for someone with a learning problem). I pointed out I hadn't. He claimed I humiliated him by repeating the grunt he made. I pointed out I simply repeated what he did. Then he claimed I regularly swore at the class. I asked when. He said I used the word 'wank' last week. I pointed out I answered the question ' do you have to wank into a testube?' (teaching in vitro fertilisation) that he had asked me.

At that point I told him if he had any more complaints I would take him to the headteacher and him, me, my union rep and the head could discuss it.

head of year then took him away to have the living daylights bollocked out of him.

what a twat.

strangly enough when I put in an order form for large croc clips and a power cable it got turned down...

Chris
12-10-2006, 19:55:00
That entire story is incredibly gay.

Beta1
12-10-2006, 19:55:56
arrrgh I hate it when the kids say that. I threw a kid out of a lesson last week for calling someone a gay ginger jew.

I'll probably get it in the neck from an angry parent tomorrow.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-10-2006, 21:47:12
It might have been factually accurate.

*End Is Forever*
12-10-2006, 22:19:28
Factually accurate or not, I doubt the tone was complementary.

The citizenship teacher at my old school has asked me to pop into a few classes next week (it's Local Democracy Week) to answer questions. I've done this twice before with sixth-form students but a group of 11-year-olds might be a different challenge...

devilmunchkin
12-10-2006, 23:16:22
i don't think i'll have anything that bad ever. i'm ta-ing in college. granted they are freshman..but still..