PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Fiber Optic (vs. DSL, et al)?

BigGameHunter
09-10-2006, 14:49:16
Verizon is offering it for $35 p/m here. I don't need a land line anymore and I hate all the junk calls you get on the home phone. I'm thinking about dumping land line and DSL for Fiber Optic internet (with FIOS cable to follow soon...?).
I'm hearing 5mpbs or some shit quoted but for some reason that seems like less than DSL is clocking at?
I'm sure I'm comparing apples to oranges like I normally do with technical things...please enlighten me. I only have until Friday to cancel! :)
I don't need to buy anything extra from the bastards do I? I have a wireless card in my laptop and a wireless router already as well...

Venom
09-10-2006, 14:52:57
DSL is not faster than fiber.

Cruddy
09-10-2006, 18:38:48
Check upload as well as download speed - if it's 5mbps both ways, online games will be a lot easier for you.

All bandwidth is capped by the provider... and if it means laying a fibre optic cable, it won't be a quick install.

I'd be inclined to try it... or at least use it as a lever to get a cheaper DSL service.

JM^3
09-10-2006, 18:45:27
Generally it should be much much faster. There are a few situations where DSL is better.. very few.

JM

Scabrous Birdseed
12-10-2006, 08:19:18
I've got 100 MBPS Fiber-optic here, and it's working fine.

BigGameHunter
16-10-2006, 22:04:46
It's fast. Very fast.
Now...where do I sign up for television on the internet? I figure something like Netflix but live and all I have to do is have a nice big LCD monitor and can say no thanks to cable and satellite.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-10-2006, 12:26:44
So far IP-TV is done in the normal Cable-type fashion with channels - check with your ISP. It can only be a matter of years before it goes totally content-on-demand though.