PDA

View Full Version : LWP future discussion

Scabrous Birdseed
03-10-2006, 14:57:55
Well, as we all know the last LWP round (nine) was a bit crap. Fairly low turnout, bad reviewer and review compiler discipline, and to be honest none of the enthusiasm of earlier editions. Am I right?

I'm wondering if there's any interest in continuing the series at all. It's basically the site's only source of articles (sorry Chris), but let's face it, it's a fairly internal affair and if everyone sees it as a chore... :(

I'll just list off the potential options that stream into my head:

A) Keep doing them forever. Do next one before christmas.

B) Go out with a Bang, one final Mega-LWP with everyone's absolutely favourite songs ever. Or something.

C) Do an LWP-lite, say LWP Christmas special or something with a single CD.

D) Go back to the "everyone does a CD each" approach of LWP8.

E) Say goodbye to the concept. It's dead.

F) Go completely digital. Upload a bunch of MP3s to some webspace-type-thing (There's got to be shady audio equivalents to YouTube and stuff by now) or distribute them via BitTorrent. Less committment, probably fewer reviewers, but easier, quicker etc.

Any thoughts?

Funko
03-10-2006, 15:01:28
LWP 9 came out when I was the busiest ever at work and at home, so it was really difficult. Things aren't so bad now.

Main problem with LWP9 was IMO, it was a pretty shit and boring collection of songs.

And the bonus tracks should have been voluntary to review (which they ended up being).

Scabrous Birdseed
03-10-2006, 15:09:33
Yeah, it wasn't the best round ever was it?

But come on, eightish tracks per CD? I'd rather go back to time-based sections then.

Funko
03-10-2006, 15:15:20
It could have been one cd rather than 2, or get more participants. Most of the bonus tracks were very "meh". Part of the fun - guessing who submitted, etc - was taken away and they were very obviously from 2 or 3 people, which didn't help the sameyness of the CDs.

Scabrous Birdseed
03-10-2006, 15:33:17
So in principle you'd be for doing another one, if we sharpened up a bit?

Funko
03-10-2006, 15:38:03
Yes... although I'd consider myself one of the people who most needs to sharpen up. :D

Funko
03-10-2006, 15:42:16
I vote for Christmas special 'CD', top speed preparation, 1 song each, very loosly interpreted Christmas theme (ie. No fairytale of new york or slade or anything else that's on every christmas album ever).

Mp3 submission/distribution for ease of transatlantic participation (I would be prepared to compile, set that up and burn a CD to send to Laz/anyone else who wanted one). And one round of review submission (possibly compiled into several articles).

King_Ghidra
03-10-2006, 15:43:19
I've enjoyed all the LWP's i 've been part of, even if i hate half the tracks (and i rarely do) i normally hear something new or downright weird enough to be interesting. But that's the key thing, something new and/or interesting. When people submit chart fodder it's a shame.

The guessing game/review stuff doesn't bother me especially, i don't see it as a big part, though the anonymity thing should be preserved up front of course. i'd prefer to see a thread where people posted their track details and another thread where people can comment on them (at their leisure). Who reads CG articles anyway except people who post on the forum? There's no point pretending we get all this casual traffic just eagerly awaiting new articles.

In terms of distribution i favour some kind of digital method/upload thing. Burning stuff is such a pain in the ass, and last time i ended up having to change one of the tracks i wanted to submit because it wouldn't burn properly. Also, we have seen screw-ups in the past in terms of getting the right song on the right disc etc. All needless.

I would favour a submissions period during which we can all upload stuff or give it to some kind of admin, and then just start a thread with a hyperlink in it and we can all go and download the tracks.

In summary, i favour:

- Usual theme LWP concept
- Digital distribution of some kind
- A single thread where people say what their tracks are
- A single voluntary comment and review thread

Funko
03-10-2006, 15:45:16
For legal reasons I think the distribution link might have to be a secret and available for a limited time, otherwise those are decent suggestions.

I like the article format... but it is a pain in the arse to sort out.

Funko
03-10-2006, 15:46:41
First thing I do with my LWP CDs is rip them to MP3 anyway. :lol:

Fistandantilus
04-10-2006, 00:22:43
Erm, I usually dl the songs and listen to them while reading the comments :o

Scabrous Birdseed
04-10-2006, 06:14:09
How about we do an "Expected and Unexpected" round, one CD where eveyone tries to mindmeld to achieve exactly the LWP sound perfectly summed up, and one CD where everyone tries to pick something that's totally unrelated to anything they or anyone else have posted before?

Mr. Bas
04-10-2006, 08:56:06
I've enjoyed the LWP's I've participated in as well, even though most of the stuff is music I didn't like. It's a good opportunity to hear all kinds of music you otherwise wouldn't have heard, and I would definitely be up for another round. Personally, I don't really like the theme concept, it's just an unnecessary restriction if you take it into account, and if you don't themes are pointless anyway.

I don't really care if I get a set of mp3's or a burned cd. Articles are nice, but involve a lot of work and if no one is willing to do that a thread would do for me.

Kitsuki
04-10-2006, 09:44:15
I'd be up for participating. :)

Resource Consumer
04-10-2006, 11:59:26
I am up for participating - work permitting as usual. What I would say, though, is that the number of tracks per person needs to be highly concentrated and, hence, a lot of people.

This ensures variety and quality as everyone needs to think what they really want to put on. Not have several goes at it.

I favour the CD aspect - but then I am old.:)

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-10-2006, 16:52:26
Regarding the "bonus tracks" subject, which have been the subject of no small amount of comment...

If you remember, this was an attempt to ensure full, value-for-money CDs whilst still retaining variety, and avoiding the "80 one-minute tracks" that plagued earlier LWP collections. That's why everyone was invited to submit bonus tracks.

The trouble was that most people didn't. Hence the perceived lack of variety.

And because most didn't submit bonus tracks, those that didn't had a tendency to complain about them. Hence the reason why the comments on these were voluntary.

The last LWP was an attempt to keep everyone happy, and I think it proved that you can't. Still, we tried.

Immortal Wombat
04-10-2006, 21:16:39
mp3 it up. That immediately removes practically all the constraints of CDs. Any number of tracks, no waiting for the slowest person, no fitting to time/space.

Enthusiasm is harder, but I think some of the problem lies with having to do large chunks of listening/thinking/writing at a time. We are all lazy bastards, after all.

How about a system where there's a hidden directory to upload to, submitters submit tracks (2 or 3?) anonymously and without announcement. Then after it's closed to upload, it's opened to download, and anyone can download and review tracks when and if they like, in a single forum thread. When everyone has commented all the tracks they want to comment on, (or after a set time period) then people can claim their tracks, and it can be compiled into a by-track article with responses. Hopefully prior reviews will inspire curiosity about tracks others haven't heard yet, the whole forum can participate, and reviewing is just posting.
The only problem I can see is the potential trouble storing n mp3s somewhere publicly accessible for what may be a long period. Then again, they won't be tagged or named usefully, so it is unlikely that anyone will find them, identify them and take action. It's not like there aren't enough blogs doing similar things on a regular basis.

Funko
05-10-2006, 07:57:59
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
And because most didn't submit bonus tracks, those that didn't had a tendency to complain about them. Hence the reason why the comments on these were voluntary.

Yes, and if I'd had more time I'd have submitted some. I see it as a collective failing not down to any one person.

But the comments weren't percieved to be voluntary on the bonus tracks. Some people were getting badgered to submit reviews on those tracks.

Resource Consumer
05-10-2006, 13:57:47
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Regarding the "bonus tracks" subject, which have been the subject of no small amount of comment...

If you remember, this was an attempt to ensure full, value-for-money CDs whilst still retaining variety, and avoiding the "80 one-minute tracks" that plagued earlier LWP collections. That's why everyone was invited to submit bonus tracks.

The trouble was that most people didn't. Hence the perceived lack of variety.

The last LWP was an attempt to keep everyone happy, and I think it proved that you can't. Still, we tried.

Sorry. I did not mean to jump on anyone's corns. If filling scratchy bytes is such a deal then IW's upload model is better. I have got so much out of the LWP series (especially from you Laz) that it would be a shame to let it drop.

BigGameHunter
09-10-2006, 14:14:54
I'm game.
Can't we change the name of any track's file to "xyzpdq" or such and at least obscure the origin/owner?

Immortal Wombat
09-10-2006, 16:27:24
I imagine it would be easy enough to whip up a script that randomised the names of the files being uploaded.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-10-2006, 07:34:03
And the ID3 tags...

Mr. Bas
08-11-2006, 10:42:57
It seems that enough people are interested, so what remains is deciding on what the format should be. In principle the upload/download thing that IW proposed sounds good to me, but I've got no idea what should be arranged for that to work. Are there any bigger nerds available who know how to set this up?

Otherwise, an old fashioned cd sending LWP is fine with me as well.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-11-2006, 08:11:47
I've been looking at potential services, and I say, how about this one:

http://s25.quicksharing.com/

Otherwise there's a huge list here:

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-file-hosting.php

Mr. Bas
10-11-2006, 13:41:32
Looks fine.

Resource Consumer
11-11-2006, 17:38:01
I'm in if someone can explain the techie stuff to an old man or at least keep it manageable :D

Scabrous Birdseed
11-11-2006, 18:07:06
How about this: Everyone mails me their tracks (prefferrably in high-quality MP3 files, 192 kbit and above), I garble the tracks and put them in a good order, then zip them into a handy package and upload that. If you definately want a CD I then burn out a few copies of that.

Resource Consumer
11-11-2006, 18:21:11
Sounds good - I trust you to garble anything :p