PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to some Cruddy advice

RedFred
30-09-2006, 17:05:33
...I finally got a new computer.

So now I need some new games. Is there much left in the way of TBS? After the great review here, I'll pick up Civ 4. But what else is out there?

Currently I play SMAC and the odd game of MoO2 or Civ2.

HelloKitty
30-09-2006, 17:27:12
2 games that should be on every computer.

Rome:total War

and

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Those will keep you busy a while.

Chris
30-09-2006, 23:32:00
Gal Civ 2 is worth getting for the TBS game lover.

Kitty is correct on teh other two, Elder Scrolls might be the best game in years.

JM^3
01-10-2006, 02:20:41
There is a guy at poly who is trying to drum up support for Oblivion being an embarassament to CRPGs.

He manages to get most people to say something negative about it..

JM

HelloKitty
01-10-2006, 06:39:46
Embarassment compared to what?

Even unmodded its awesome.

JM^3
01-10-2006, 09:09:20
As far as I can tell, he doesn't like the fact there are a couple less stats. But check out the poly other games forum for more.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156496&pagenumber=3

JM

maroule
01-10-2006, 09:32:07
pretty much the same for me

Rome Total war with the Rome Total Realism mod
Civ 4 if your computer can handle big maps (mine can't)
Oblivion (I played it on xbox360 so unmodded, and still brilliant)

The new Medieval Total War coming up will probably be something special

Shining1
01-10-2006, 10:33:37
This thjead needs some old skewl Venom-flaming-Total-War action, methinks.

Skanky Burns
01-10-2006, 11:08:30
I have Oblivion but was turned off initally by the interface (multiple menu windows to show the same level of information that Morrowind managed to display in one window) but got through that to start exploring the capitol of the empire. Capitol? It seemed more like a deserted medium-large city.

Brilliant is hardly the word I would use, but then I haven't managed to get myself hooked on it enough to even get to level 2.

HelloKitty
01-10-2006, 15:50:58
The city is deserted?

What are you doing? Turing the clip plane down to its lowest or only wandering the back alleys of the housing districts?

Fistandantilus
01-10-2006, 16:21:20
Originally posted by JM^3
There is a guy at poly who is trying to drum up support for Oblivion being an embarassament to CRPGs.

He manages to get most people to say something negative about it..

JM

He just have to go to the official boards and he'll find plenty of oblivion-haters that are trying to convince the world that Oblivion is shit. For some people is just a mission in life :p there were lots of people complaining about Morrowind being a disgrace to the TES series when it went out too.

I loved Morrowind and I love Oblivion so I recommend it :)

Chris
01-10-2006, 21:08:07
I probaly have played more games then almost anyone here, being a reviewer, and I say Oblivion is one of the best games I have ever played.

Skanky Burns
01-10-2006, 22:48:44
Compare and contrast the market district of any major city to that in Oblivion. Compared to cities with a real population, my description is appropriate.

HelloKitty
02-10-2006, 01:28:02
So, you hate all video games that take place in a town?

You expect a video game to have this

http://imagenes.tupatrocinio.com/img-bbdd/crowded%20market.jpg

Yeah, thats going to happen.

Some of the busy zones already have 100+ NPCs that will wander in and out, no need for thousands.

Hell, off the top of my head, the tiny arcane acad zone alone (the one with the garden) has 12 regular guards (3-6 at a time depending on time of day) 12 quest related NPCs, at least 15 students, 5 or 6 "instructors", plus random walkers from out of the tower and city guards on patrol.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
02-10-2006, 07:25:18
And yet it still feels empty :)

I don't hate Oblivion, I merely found it dull after a while. Which is strange, because I loved Morrowind to death.

Skanky Burns
02-10-2006, 07:53:49
Do I hate all video games that take place in a town? No, but I do rate a game negatively when it presents something (say, a sparsely populated town) and insists it is something else (say, the capital of an Empire). The two don't match and it breaks immersion. Obviously, there are technical limits on the number of NPCs the computer can have in any one area, but the market district does not seem to even approach that limit nor does it have any explanation of why a guard or two and the odd civilian constitute a "thriving" marketplace.

I'm thrilled you find it a great game. I wish I could join you in that viewpoint.

maroule
02-10-2006, 08:05:45
he and most of the gaming world (considering all reviews, sales figures, etc.)

It's still far from perfect (the more ambitious the game, the more difficult it is to pull it off), but those of us who play a lot have seen a fair lot of crappy games, so we can recognize a bloody good effort when we see one. It doesn't mean that it has to work for you, thanks god, and it certainly doesn't mean we have to convince you either. But my advice would be to stick at it another couple of hours before dumping it.

Shining1
03-10-2006, 00:02:43
Yeah I'm leery of any response to a game where the person has barely gotten out of the front gate and is already nit-picking it to death.

Simply because, that was my initial feeling about both Baldur's Gate II and Planescape, and they ended up being two of my all time favourites. If I hadn't persevered and given them a chance, I'd have missed out on a huge amount of fun.

It just seems to be a special feature of a lot of roleplaying games - you just have to give yourself a dozen or so hours with them before you can understand the game properly, and learn to focus on the good aspects and ignore the bullshit.

Skanky Burns
03-10-2006, 02:41:44
My complaint is that the game doesn't draw me in and has several barriers to entry quite early on. Considering the number of hours I spent playing Morrowind (in the hundreds, easily) Oblivion should not be as hard to get into as it is.

RedFred
03-10-2006, 05:10:28
Thanks for the tips. I am already playing it Civ4 and it seems dumbed down a bit from SMAC but still pretty fun.

Just judging by the titles, Total war and Oblivion may not be good bets for me. I am more of a builder than a fighter.

I heard Relic is coming up with something big in a month or so. Any rumours on their new game?

JM^3
03-10-2006, 05:19:32
if you ignore the RTS elements of Rome:TW it is a builderish game

JM

Greg W
03-10-2006, 06:01:31
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
My complaint is that the game doesn't draw me in and has several barriers to entry quite early on. Considering the number of hours I spent playing Morrowind (in the hundreds, easily) Oblivion should not be as hard to get into as it is. I played Morrowind, and found Oblivion no harder to get into at all. In fact there's a fair few improvements to make it easier to get into. :confused:

I dunno, to each their own I suppose.

TBS Wise, I mostly played R:TW without the RTS tactical battles (aka as a TBS builder style game). I only really played the RTS side of the game when there was a good reason to (like being outnumbered).

Other than that, I haven't found a lot that grabbed me recently, other than Civ IV. HOMM 5(?) came out recently, but I went off that franchise sometime around HOMM 3.

Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday got some decent reviews if you're into WWII games.