PDA

View Full Version : GW Nightfall Preview Event this Weekend

DaShi
21-09-2006, 15:46:30
For those few of you who play this game, there will be a PVE preview for the next Guild Wars Expansion, Nightfall, this weekend starting on Friday.

http://www.guildwars.com/events/ingame/nightfallworldpreview.php

Although this is mostly a PVE event, you'll be able to take your characters to the new Nightfall arenas for PVP if you wish as well.

HelloKitty
22-09-2006, 11:01:27
Wish I had more time.

I may log in and try a few things though. The 2 new classes don't really interest me much though.

Shining1
22-09-2006, 15:21:34
Is every expansion going to have two *new* classes?

Better to develop the current ones, surely... all I wanna do is fireball crap.

King_Ghidra
22-09-2006, 15:37:32
sounds like a job for one of funko's curries

Centara Fugue
22-09-2006, 18:32:00
Am I correct in thinking this one will have a bigger, more involved PvE component than the last expansion, more in line with the original?

JM^3
22-09-2006, 18:46:38
That is what I have heard.

JM

HelloKitty
22-09-2006, 22:30:34
Originally posted by Shining1
Is every expansion going to have two *new* classes?

Better to develop the current ones, surely... all I wanna do is fireball crap.

Yes, and each expansion will have additions to the original games classes.

Unless they have changed it, the classes from the expansions won't be getting new things with future expansions. The idea being, the core classes are found everywhere int he world, the new classes are only found in the new continent.

And what class just fireballs? Only an elementalist still in the first 5th of the original storyline would be restricted to fire.

HelloKitty
23-09-2006, 05:52:12
Ok, I logged on for the last 2 hours and liek what I see.

The region is more babylon than it is generic egypt.

The additions to henchmen controls and addition of controalbly NPC heros, is fucking nice.

The new classes don't really do anythiong for me though.

I will get it when it comes out, but thats a month away, I may have time to even try it for more than 2 hours then.

I also like how you can completely skip the roleplay game now if you want and just pay to unlock all the original game skills for pvp only characters.

I won't buy that, but as long as the expansion keeps the new additions and adds at least one new character slot, I am set.

Shining1
23-09-2006, 07:04:58
A 15/14? Fire/Energy storage character would be almost pure fire. Which, given that I was talking about what I *wanted* to play, is more the kind of thing I would make.

Take a hint from Warcraft and add spell crits at the very least, perhaps.

HelloKitty
23-09-2006, 15:34:04
GW has had crits since the game came out just not for every skill. Anything linked to anything weilded, be it a sword, wand etc, in any way can crit hitting for 141% max damage every 7 hits or so.

Only the melee classes can modify their crit rate though.

For a fire centric caster the best example would be conjure flame which gives one hell of a boost even without the crits and a huge boost when it does crit.

But no, they don't need what WoW has where the uber damage spells that in some cases already can kill even cons in one hit can be built up to crit almost every single time for insane damage.

What they do have is better than crits, they have speed and energy cost adjustments (for all classes). In the end you can use pure range spells and do as much damage as if they had added crits, or you can do normal damage and a bunch of other things.

As for only shooting fireballs, you should work on your build. It sounds like you were either auto attacking or casting flare/fireball for everything.

What was your secondary class? Thats like playing WoW, you get your 5 core abilities and just get upgrades on them for 60 levels. There are 454 skills in the base game beyond what are unlocked when you first start with a few hundred added with the expansion. Creating a flare build is naturally going to be dull.

For example, my Fire/mes in a group generally takes

Flare (the generic single target fireball)
Aura of restoration (heals me whenever I attack)
Conjure Phantasm (nice illusion based health drain)
Pheonix (AE/Single target and targetted AE explosion)
Arcane Echo (allows me to cast a slow spell twice without a recharge)
Meteor Shower (nasty nasty targetted AE DOT, used with arcane echo)
Ether Feast (Steal energy from target to heal me)
Glyph of energy (reduces cost of next spell cast by 15)

Solo I will usually switch in conj flame for echo and one of the lava AEs for meteor since I don't have the time to cast multiple meteor showers and worry about where the opponents are.

And thats with only putting skill points into Fire/Energystorage/Illusion. There are 8 attribute catagories available.

HelloKitty
23-09-2006, 15:40:41
Oh, and another reason to get the expansion...

Flamingos are tamable.

MUST HAVE FLAMINGO PET!!!

DaShi
23-09-2006, 17:55:25
"Awful lot of honkeys in here."

For a game that supposedly takes place in an African-like setting, most people seemed to prefer making their characters white. I know when I make my necro in Elona, it will be black with pink eyes. :coolgrin:

Assassins and Ritualists will be getting new skills from Nightfall, possibly armor and greens too, but skills for sure.

I like the new additions for henchman and heros, but I probably won't use them as much. I prefer playing with real people, guildmate or PUGs (which at least offer some entertainment, if we don't finish the mission or quest).

I think the Paragon will be the more powerful of the two new classes. Dervishes will probably be like assassins, no one will know how to properly play one.

I really like the ability to switch secondaries on the fly without having to go to Senji's or the desert. I hear they may add templates to the final release so that it will remember your skill and attirbute setup.

HelloKitty
24-09-2006, 03:52:21
North Africa, as in southern Mediterranean.

So the skin tones are not totally off, but most people have gone white bread.

And wha do you mean about switch secondaries? I haven't had the chance to do much. Is it just part of the town interface now?

Shining1
24-09-2006, 04:18:25
Originally posted by HelloKitty
[B]GW has had crits since the game came out just not for every skill. Anything linked to anything weilded, be it a sword, wand etc, in any way can crit hitting for 141% max damage every 7 hits or so.

Yes, hence 'spell crits'.

But no, they don't need what WoW has where the uber damage spells that in some cases already can kill even cons in one hit can be built up to crit almost every single time for insane damage.

Yes, yes they do. =D

3k base fireballs are more or less a thing of the past anyway, however, and would have been *extremely* rare even then. Something of a distortion there.

I actually haven't been back to my GuildWars elementalist since I started raiding with my Warcraft mage. I was enjoying it more than my Necro/Mes - DoTs just aren't quite my thing, I guess.

HelloKitty
24-09-2006, 15:04:31
Originally posted by Shining1
Yes, hence 'spell crits'.

Yes, spell crits, as in any spell that has anything to do with what is in your hand, such as conjure flame, a spell.

Not just your base attack.

Spell crits as in every spell you have being a crit ball of doom, no. Its not a critical if it happens all the damn time, it just makes the base damage be weak.

Yes, yes they do. =D

Yeah, they should give them to the NPCs.

3k base fireballs are more or less a thing of the past anyway, however, and would have been *extremely* rare even then. Something of a distortion there.

Did they just recently change the crit tables?

I know with good int gear, the right build, and crit gear that mages could get over 30% crit rate with over 200% more damage rather than the 150% that is normal. Also, and I may be wrong, I thought that rogues crit rate could easily outstrip mages.

1 out of 3 is a silly amount against even cons.

I actually haven't been back to my GuildWars elementalist since I started raiding with my Warcraft mage. I was enjoying it more than my Necro/Mes - DoTs just aren't quite my thing, I guess.

I was realy enjoying the Necro/Monk which I had resisted.

The ability to change secondaries got me to try all the different combos,a dn that one is pretty nice.

HelloKitty
24-09-2006, 15:10:53
Nm, I looked on Wiki.

The crit caps for melee in WoW are front 37.6% and back 48.8%.

This is taking into account misses, as wel. So the crit rate is actually higher, but if you miss you get no crit registered.

JM^3
24-09-2006, 16:13:52
yeah, if you get crits high enough, you have no normal attacks at all

just crits, misses, and the partially deflected attacks

JM

DaShi
24-09-2006, 18:24:30
Originally posted by HelloKitty

And wha do you mean about switch secondaries? I haven't had the chance to do much. Is it just part of the town interface now?

It's part of the new skills and attributes menu. However, you first need to have changed through a usual method (Senji or desert)before you can change on the fly. So you can change your necros secondary to any it had been and back without going to the desert or Senji.

Shining1
24-09-2006, 21:41:30
know with good int gear, the right build, and crit gear that mages could get over 30% crit rate with over 200% more damage rather than the 150% that is normal. Also, and I may be wrong, I thought that rogues crit rate could easily outstrip mages.

Yeah, and let's assume that such gear also allows the mage to be able to deal an enormous amount of base damage, right?

Wrong. No mage with 33% crit is going to be worth anything damage wise except for keeping a rolling ignite going.

Anyway, who cares about even cons? Trash mobs are just there to be farmed. It's the elites and bosses that matter.

HelloKitty
25-09-2006, 11:06:42
The numbers from the Wiki were level capped players against raid mobs. The crit rate isn't capped that low against even cons or below. You gain a further .5% per level difference, so even cons are what? 39% (raid mobs are usually 63?) and 50.3%.

Those numbers also apparently include "glancing blows" which are something like a straight 20%+ reduction of crits against all raid mobs.

So really the crit rate including only misses against even cons would be around 40%/60%.

JM^3
25-09-2006, 11:24:05
Normal attacks is even worse.. often you can't even make a 'normal' attack.

JM