PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives kill children

Mr. Bas
21-09-2006, 09:58:23
Unfortunately I can't find a link in English except for the original Lancet article (by Navarro et al :D), so here's the Dutch link (http://www.nrc.nl/wetenschap/article486281.ece) that Mike can translate.

Basically, researchers have looked in a number of Western countries at the correlation between dominant political parties over the last few decades and a number of indicators of national health. The conclusion is that predominantly Social Democratic countries have, for example, lower infant mortality and higher life expectancy at birth than Christian Democrat, liberal or authoritarian countries. Not really surprising, but interesting to see this confirmed by research.

HelloKitty
21-09-2006, 11:14:57
Well I can't read it but, does it only take into account same "world"?

You can't fairly compare the UK to a third world country even if it is "western".

What the study is really looking at is access to health care, not quality of care.

Example, the US has by far the highest quality care in the world, one of the top 5 per capita spendings on health care in the world, and cutting edge research.

At the same time we have the worst infant mortality rate of industrialized nations, with even some third world nations (like CUBA FOR FUCKS SAKE) having better rates than us. Our life expectancy is one of the highest though.

I had more of a point, but need to shower and get to work so I will let someone else finish.

Mr. Bas
21-09-2006, 11:36:12
It's a comparison between (a number of) OECS countries with various dominant political parties over the last decades, so most of Western Europe, the US and possibly Canada as well. The article is not making a point about the quality of health care, but indeed about the availability of health care to the general population and the effect that has on things like infant mortality and life expectancy. In social democratic countries, more emphasis is in general placed on availability of medical care for everyone independent of whether they can afford it, this is reflected in the lower infant mortality etcetera.

They've also looked at social indicators such as the female participation in the work force, and there as well you see the differences in the effects of various political ideologies. Like I said, it's not surprising to see that different policies lead to different social conditions in a country.

The full article is in the Lancet, it can be read here (http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet)
although you need to register. The title is "Politics and Health Outcomes".

Dyl Ulenspiegel
21-09-2006, 11:40:03
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Example, the US has by far the highest quality care in the world

If you compare the US top 5 % with average of other country, I assume.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20060921/bs_bw/tc20060921053503

Dyl Ulenspiegel
21-09-2006, 11:40:54
Btw, what's Oostenrijk, you dutch twats?

Mr. Bas
21-09-2006, 11:42:43
Backwards?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
21-09-2006, 11:49:48
ah yes

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
21-09-2006, 17:11:46
The high quality of health care in the US skews the figures downward in some cases due to the ability to care for extremely premature births that in other countries wouldn't be classified live births. Unfortunately, while they might survive for a while and thus be classified as actual births, many preemies don't make it, contributing to the higher infant mortality rates.

Similar, in a way, to lower death tolls during wars. The flip side is that medical technology can now save the life of someone who will live on for decades as a vegetable! Go science!

Drekkus
21-09-2006, 19:07:17
Originally posted by Mr. Bas
Backwards? :lol:

Cruddy
21-09-2006, 21:20:23
Well... yersssssss....but they don't eat their brains afterwards.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
22-09-2006, 06:47:26
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
The high quality of health care in the US skews the figures downward in some cases due to the ability to care for extremely premature births that in other countries wouldn't be classified live births. Unfortunately, while they might survive for a while and thus be classified as actual births, many preemies don't make it, contributing to the higher infant mortality rates.

I hate to say that, but.... link?