PDA

View Full Version : Hey Laz

Immortal Wombat
17-09-2006, 19:17:21
Am I imagining it, or did you post once about a torturous attempt at maths involving a muntjac, by some eccentric aristocrat (Whimbrel?)? I can't find it; do you still have it, or a reference or something?

Maybe I dreamt it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-09-2006, 21:08:07
It was a move in a game of Mornington Crescent, and went like this-

I may, or may not have made a move. However I'm not going to reveal what it was, if indeed it happened at all. This, of course, means we are now in the realms of Whimbrel's Muntjac.

Professor Augustine St John Whimbrel (1887- ) was the first person to introduce Quantum theory to MC. His breakthrough was the realisation that we cannot be defined solely by our existance, but must also be defined by our relationship/proximity to other persons or items. This means I cannot be simply "Laz", but must be "Laz" or "Laz attempting to put a clumsy stranglehold on Seneca" in order to be verified in existance.

Whimbrel's Muntjac theory is as follows. Should a Muntjac deer stray into the Tube in an ill-advised hunt for tasty roots to eat, it will disappear from sight. We would not be able to say with any degree of certainty where it was in the maze of stations and tunnels. All we could conclude is that it had ceased to exist as a clearly defined entity, but instead must be considered a field of potential existance that encompasses the entire London Underground system.

However, since all those people in the Underground at that time must have their own existance defined at least in part by their proximity to the elusive Muntjac, this means that they have all actually ceased to exist as defined entities too, and again can be considered as fields of potential existance. Therefore the man on the platform at Paddington is therefore simultaneously boarding a train at King's Cross and buying a Kit-Kat at Maida Vale. Only the vanished Muntjac can define precisely where the commuter actually is by revealing itself and defining it's proximity to others causing their existance to be clarified as a definite entity.

Whimbrel applied the principle to his own life. Therefore, as we can no longer see him, we must assume that he is alive in an infinite field of potential existance. However he has responded to no letters since his cremation in 1963.

So what does this mean to my game? As no-one knows my present location, this means that no-one can actually verify their own either until I choose to reveal myself. I now define their positions. This means I can reveal that Provost is now on Northolt, Imran is playing as default Prebendary on Bayswater until a stepping fold-through is completed, while Seneca and Flubber are simultaneously groped on Sloane Square.

And that, my friends, is called "genius".

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-09-2006, 21:10:46
I later adapted it (by removing the Mornington Crescent references) and stuck it on my blog.

Immortal Wombat
17-09-2006, 21:40:02
Ah, your blog. The one place I forgot to check. Thanks.

Immortal Wombat
17-09-2006, 21:42:39
Although that also appears now to exist solely as a field of potential existence, so maybe it wouldn't have helped if I had.

Oerdin
18-09-2006, 05:02:58
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Ah, your blog. The one place I forgot to check. Thanks.

Checked for Laz's old blog and got this message.

Oops an error has occurred. This blog does not exist.

Thank you

return to blog-city.com

Immortal Wombat
18-09-2006, 15:39:19
well done, have a cookie.

Colon
18-09-2006, 15:41:05
Can I have one too?

Immortal Wombat
18-09-2006, 15:47:14
you can have a chocolate

Dyl Ulenspiegel
18-09-2006, 19:26:05
Ceci n'est pas un canard!

maroule
19-09-2006, 07:38:54
Un canard est il?

1/ Un volatile
2/ Un journal
3/ l'action de tremper un sucre dans un café

Réponse: les trois. Merci de votre attention.