PDA

View Full Version : Boris Johnson still a twat

Lazarus and the Gimp
09-09-2006, 12:35:44
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conservatives/story/0,,1868589,00.html

How many times has he shot himself in the foot now? He's in danger of crossing the border between "lovable buffoon" and "moron".

Cruddy
09-09-2006, 15:53:45
Doesn't that make him a possible candidate for leader?

alsieboo
09-09-2006, 17:57:18
I met him once, I thought he was really cool

Lazarus and the Gimp
09-09-2006, 19:20:12
He never fails to remind me of an Old English Sheepdog, partially shaved and cruelly stuffed into an ill-fitting suit.

alsieboo
09-09-2006, 19:22:03
I think that was him in a past life or something

Funko
11-09-2006, 08:36:33
"I meant no insult to the people of Papua New Guinea, who I'm sure lead lives of blameless bourgeois domesticity ..."

:lol:

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-09-2006, 09:16:52
Originally posted by Funko
:lol:

Ah yes, the old (fake) English would be upper class manner of apologizing whilst still managing to wring yet another insult out of one's addled pate.

I recall during his mini-series on Rome presented on BBC 2 he managed to describe it as a peaceful empire, which almost had me snorting my Earl Grey tea down my nostrils.

He missed his true calling- now that end of the pier shows and Aunt Sallies are a dying breed. Still, there's always pantomime and the Tory Shadow Cabinet. Or is that a tautology ?

Kitsuki
11-09-2006, 10:17:07
Despite the foot-in-mouth antics of Johnson and the total lack of forethought before writing something like that, Papau New Guinea is host to cannibals (however insensitive his comments are, it's not as though they are not true...)

King_Ghidra
11-09-2006, 10:24:23
so you're saying this is a lie?

Jean L Kekedo, the country's high commissioner in London, said she was "shocked and appalled". "How far removed and ill-informed can Mr Johnson be from the reality of the situation in modern-day Papua New Guinea?" she said. Cannibalism ended 200 years ago after European explorers converted its people to Christianity, she said.

Kitsuki
11-09-2006, 10:29:20
I'm not claiming it's widespread by any means. It's an islander nation, which isn't well explored, to the point where there are many species of flora / fauna still waiting to be discovered.

Not an expert, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korowai.

Kitsuki
11-09-2006, 10:33:46
Cannibalism as a practice was of course very rare in history. The reason it became so widely reported was because slavers used it as an excuse to enslave various tribes of people - due to various European powers specifying that slavery was only permitted if it could be proven that the slaves would have a better life than if they were free. Slavers invented stories of cannibalism in order to justify their antics.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-09-2006, 10:43:59
Originally posted by Kitsuki
I'm not claiming it's widespread by any means. It's an islander nation, which isn't well explored, to the point where there are many species of flora / fauna still waiting to be discovered.

Not an expert, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korowai.

So saying it has potentially rare and undiscovered species of animals and plants is the same as saying that cannibalism is still a feature of Papua New Guinean life ?

Or, in other words, when you (and Johnson) positively assert that Papua New Guinea is still home to people who indulge in cannibalism, what you're really saying is, you don't know that for a certainty.

Somewhat different from the picture Johnson paints of longpig available at Port Moresby convenience stores and supermarkets.

But what can one expect from such a complete and utter over-educated arse, who knows so little (and opines so much) about even the country he (alas) calls home ?

By the way, Irian Jaya/West Papua (where the Korowai live) is illegally occupied and ruled by Indonesia, so not actually part of Papua New Guinea at all. The part where it says 'ethnic groups in Indonesia' on the Wiki page might have tipped you off.....

Funko
11-09-2006, 10:45:31
Other than the mention of Papua New-Guinea, he does have a point. This Labour struggle is Tory-esque.

Dave must be loving it watching from wherever he is at the moment.

Nav
11-09-2006, 10:46:52
Got to love Boris Johnson. :beer:

Kitsuki
11-09-2006, 10:55:16
Originally posted by Fergus & The Brazen Car
So saying it has potentially rare and undiscovered species of animals and plants is the same as saying that cannibalism is still a feature of Papua New Guinean life ?

Or, in other words, when you (and Johnson) positively assert that Papua New Guinea is still home to people who indulge in cannibalism, what you're really saying is, you don't know that for a certainty.

Somewhat different from the picture Johnson paints of longpig available at Port Moresby convenience stores and supermarkets.

But what can one expect from such a complete and utter over-educated arse, who knows so little (and opines so much) about even the country he (alas) calls home ?

By the way, Irian Jaya/West Papua (where the Korowai live) is illegally occupied and ruled by Indonesia, so not actually part of Papua New Guinea at all. The part where it says 'ethnic groups in Indonesia' on the Wiki page might have tipped you off.....

No, I just said I didn't think it was rife, and also that most accounts of cannibalism throughout history have been bogus justifications for slavery.

I do think this is getting blown out of context and proportion - using a slight throwaway simile in an article, which very well could relate the historical Papau as Boris has said is justifiable. I think Boris has a stupid habit of putting his foot-in-his-mouth, but claiming he is attempting to be offensive deliberately, or that he is not an intelligent person, is clutching at straws.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-09-2006, 10:56:12
Originally posted by Funko
This Labour struggle is Tory-esque.

Internal party divisions usually exhibit more rancid dislike & hatred than is expressed for opposing parties (think Hezza-v-Thatcher, Benn-v-Healey).

As Borges said of the Falklands' Conflict, internal party strife is like two bald men arguing over a comb.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-09-2006, 10:59:24
but claiming he is attempting to be offensive deliberately, or that he is not an intelligent person, is clutching at straws.

I said he was over-educated.

And if offence is given, then apologized for so limply and insincerely, it makes it far worse, not a waggish little jape.

I think Boris has a stupid habit of putting his foot-in-his-mouth

If only he'd insert both, and then leave them there, prior to sticking his head up his sphincter.

Lazarus and the Gimp
11-09-2006, 19:37:26
I think Boris has a stupid habit of putting his foot-in-his-mouth, but claiming he is attempting to be offensive deliberately, or that he is not an intelligent person, is clutching at straws.

What about the time he was caught on tape agreeing to get a journalist beaten up on behalf of his good old (jailbird) friend Darius Guppy?

Funko
12-09-2006, 08:08:06
I loved his version of Hit Me Baby (One More Time)

Fergus & The Brazen Car
12-09-2006, 09:21:11
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
What about the time he was caught on tape agreeing to get a journalist beaten up on behalf of his good old (jailbird) friend Darius Guppy?

Just jolly japes on behalf of the adulterous loveable old buffoon.

What wags these public schoolboys can be, especially when they never grow up or feel they genuinely have to say sorry and mean it.