PDA

View Full Version : So...what exactly is a celebrity?

King_Ghidra
31-08-2006, 11:10:58
I can't find the story now, but it was on the tv today that the details of the children of celebrities on the new govt children database thing are going to be kept more secret than the details of other children

quite apart from the ridiculous double standard, this begs the question 'what constitutes celebrity?' presumably the govt is going to have to define which people get the special celebrity treatment, perhaps by employing someone to read heat magazine and pick out all the names?

and how low does the definition of celebrity go? i mean, does someone like narinder from big brother get the same treament as madonna?

also what about people who used to be famous and aren't any more? can you lose celebrity status?

obviously the whole thing is ridiculous

Kitsuki
31-08-2006, 11:16:24
The whole National Identity Database is a disgrace from start to finish. The privacy issues is raises are ludicrous; when dealing with a one government department on a certain issue they will be able to look out unrelated issues, including medical / financial / other personal information.

If its instituted it wont be long before there will be a fair few scandals regarding it.

Koyaanisqatsi
31-08-2006, 11:17:28
FAMOUS, adj.
Conspicuously miserable.
- Ambrose Bierce

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 11:27:18
Originally posted by Kitsuki
The whole National Identity Database is a disgrace from start to finish. The privacy issues is raises are ludicrous; when dealing with a one government department on a certain issue they will be able to look out unrelated issues, including medical / financial / other personal information.

If its instituted it wont be long before there will be a fair few scandals regarding it.

Say no to the database state. Seriously.

Funko
31-08-2006, 11:29:24

And aside from the huge privacy issues there are massive technical challenges which haven't even been addressed let alone solved.

Funko
31-08-2006, 11:30:20
My reading of K_G's initial story is "if there are different possible levels why aren't the details of ALL children kept as secret as the celebrities children?"

Kitsuki
31-08-2006, 11:30:59
Yeah, which I agree with totally, I just saw the opportunity to rant and took it.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 11:31:15
Read some rediculous statistic on the %age of the world's CCTV cameras that Britain has installed. Something like a quater. A related issue....

Funko
31-08-2006, 11:33:03
Yeah, which I agree with totally, I just saw the opportunity to rant and took it.

You took it, and broke a major rule of engagement.

Kitsuki
31-08-2006, 11:35:01
Are you saying on CG it's rude to go off-topic? In that case this is the world's biggest collection of rude bastards!

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 11:36:24
Originally posted by Funko
My reading of K_G's initial story is "if there are different possible levels why aren't the details of ALL children kept as secret as the celebrities children?"

Cos thjat would impy there is no difference between celebrity and normal person (which of course there isn't...)

Sadly I think the Gov. would respond to KGs point by saying OK, we'll have "an unlimited number of user definable secrecy levels"

Funko
31-08-2006, 11:36:28
No, it's rude to stay on-topic!

Funko
31-08-2006, 11:37:30
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Cos thjat would impy there is no difference between celebrity and normal person (which of course there isn't...)

My point is that no-one should be able to find this shit out unless they really need to, and can be trusted with the information no matter who the parents are.