PDA

View Full Version : For those who missed Reading...

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 10:46:48
....my highlight of Sunday night (admittedly the only night I went).

I was watching on the tiered hill behind - I couldn't see the moves that clearly but it all looked like good clean fun to me!

"i was one of the four guys who started it all off (the tall one in the black trilby)...here's the story:

it ran from about midnight till 3.45am. we were bored in B2, so we did flying kicks into the metal fences until they came down. then we came up with the idea of making an "emo cage". this was one fence as the back wall, and the other two out in an n shape. when someone walked past we'd tackle them into the cage, then slam the two legs together to make the triangular cage. And then jeer, throw beer, whack the cage with sticks etc.

we quickly got a crowd of 30-40 people, including some guys with a megaphone who got some more. The only chant then was "whats that going into the cage, is it an EMO, is it an EMO!"

The actual fighting started with the dude in the Spiderman mask. He ran into the cage and started doing karate chops in the air until someone ran in and they started fake wrestling. Then the noise attracted more and more people, up on the little hill behind the cage, and it just kinda grew from there. lots of chanting attracted more people...

Security turned up about 4 or 5 times but never had much luck. The first time there were two cops standing around doing nothing. Then a jeep turned up with venue security, parked a few metres from the crowd. A good citizen jumped on top of the jeep and got dragged off it and chucked in the back. Someone lobbed a bottle at the jeep which mustve scared the police shitless. They tried to take the fences away a few times but it was about 10 on 2 punters pulling the other way. One security guard actually went psycho and smacked it into our faces. Lots of booing then...

we did get pretty worried a few times about someone landing on their neck and ending up in a wheelchair, or people taking it too seriously and trying to kill each other. Seemed ok though. Someone chucked fireworks in though...bit silly really.

The cage got taken down a few times but people always got it back up within a few minutes. some people actually added a roof at some point. the fighting did briefly move about 5 metres up the road to someones tent, where guys just threw each other onto it. more chants: "ginger fight! ginger fight!" "f # ck him up" "use a knife" and the like.

pictures are now up on photobucket here: http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...eading%202006/ "

Funko
31-08-2006, 10:51:13
that link doesn't work, you copied the abbreviated url with the ... in it.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 10:55:05
They aren't my photos, but here goes....

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/jim_loves_ibanez/Cage%20Fight%20Reading%202006/

Kitsuki
31-08-2006, 11:33:40
This is why I prefer to go to Glastonbury....

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 11:38:24
Ah what happened to your sense of adventure?! Damn tories, where else in England can you go where the police have zero power!

Kitsuki
31-08-2006, 12:03:40
Do you want a list? :o

I dont like Reading / Leeds, it tends to degenerate into 16 year olds going crazy because they are away from home... I like Glastonbury and similar festivals because everything is very chilled, laid back, everyone is friendly and there is a genuinely nice atmosphere....

Funko
31-08-2006, 12:04:20
Yeah, that's why I think I'm going to Green Man next year.

Can't believe no-one told me there was an Institute of Physics tent!!!

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 12:14:35
Originally posted by Kitsuki
Do you want a list? :o

I dont like Reading / Leeds, it tends to degenerate into 16 year olds going crazy because they are away from home... I like Glastonbury and similar festivals because everything is very chilled, laid back, everyone is friendly and there is a genuinely nice atmosphere....

I must agree the last year was too much. Proper anarchy and dangerous to boot. This year was a great return to hedonism and amazingly inventive campsite games (like grundon jousting and cage fight!)

King_Ghidra
31-08-2006, 12:25:27
neither of which are dangerous or anarchic, obviously

Funko
31-08-2006, 12:30:45
Nice safe leisure pursuits compared to dancing around and leaping over huge campfires filled with gas canisters that were exploding and producing 40ft high mushroom clouds.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 12:42:47
I think anyone with half a brain can tell the difference in danger between trolley jousting and gas explosions.

What made me smile was, as they had zero tollerance on gas explosions people once again had to resort to innovative entertainment.

Funko
31-08-2006, 12:49:01
K_G is totally right that they are still stupid, dangerous pursuits though.

Kitsuki
31-08-2006, 13:35:17
Wow, cage fighting, lets party like its 1999 (BC).

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 14:00:59
Originally posted by Funko
K_G is totally right that they are still stupid, dangerous pursuits though.

Your point being? Everything in life is a different grade of dangerous and/or stupid.

King_Ghidra
31-08-2006, 14:36:51
to paraphrase you, anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between the danger implied in sitting at your desk and surfing the internet and the danger implied in having some cider-smashed teen ram you into another person in a shopping trolley at 3am.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 14:53:30
I don't know what you're on about. Did I imply grundon jousting was safe? Grundon jousting and cage fighting are within my level of danger acceptance.

Gas explosions and cage fighting might be closer together in terms of danger than internet surfing and trolley jousting, but I still think an idiot could differentiate.

Funko
31-08-2006, 15:08:23
I look forward to seeing you fighting in the cage next year. :beer:

Nills Lagerbaak
31-08-2006, 15:23:21
Well I wasn't dressed for it this time!

Funko
31-08-2006, 15:24:12
That's you in the spidey mask isn't it.

King_Ghidra
31-08-2006, 15:28:22
what would constitute appropriate dress?

i fancy a pair of small shorts and a kamikaze headband

Funko
31-08-2006, 15:33:10
Maybe an optional cape.

King_Ghidra
31-08-2006, 16:03:53
that might impede high-risk manuevers

Funko
31-08-2006, 16:14:12
Yeah, would probably have to decloak as you entered the cage.

I assume all the fighers had their own entrance music?

Nills Lagerbaak
01-09-2006, 08:30:19
I think the baying of the crowd drowned out any music. There was a great moment when someone pulled a massive wedgie, and crowd chanted "wedgie! wedgie! wedgie! as one. Most entertaining.

Tau Ceti
01-09-2006, 11:53:17
GAMES FORUM!