PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter II: Hyper FIghting on Xbox Live

King_Ghidra
07-08-2006, 13:05:16
I was very excited to see this coming for xbox live, especially the chance to play it multiplayer online, so i downloaded it for 800 microsoft points (about 6.50) and went and bought a month's worth of xbox gold membership (4.50) to give it a go.

Well, what a blast from the past, this is basially a replica of the arcade version, so the single player is in money munching mode and is extremely fucking hard.

Online i have found it to be amazing fun, playing people from all over the world with minimal lag (on lots of boards i have seen people moaning aout lag but i have never had any problems). Sometimes connecting to a game is a pain, but that seems to be because of the fact there are so many people playing rather than because there are too few.

There are some nice online modes such as the quarter match, in which 4 people can share a game by taking it in turns to fight. This is cool for the social side, these are non-ranked games so theoretically there is no reason for scrub play or cheap stuff. Personally i don't play with a mic on, but its hilarious listening to the other players chat (last night i was in a quarters match with three americans, one of whom was obviously a white nerd and one was a black guy who had some kind of street jive thing going on. When i played the black guy i couldn't make up my mind who to pick and i went round the characters before plumping for Ryu. As i pressed the button i heard the guy say: 'Shiiiit, going all roun' the board and you knew you was gonna pick him anyhow' :lol:

In the ranked games there are a lot of cheap bitches who like to pick e honda and abuse the insane damage and chip damage of the hundred hand slap. At least you can black mark these idiots and avoid them in subsequent matches, so hopefully they will get driven out of their tactics.

I'm glad i made the investment, hopefully MS and Capcom will deliver some of their later SF games to live too.

MattHiggs
07-08-2006, 13:24:40
:lol:

Sounds great. I've always been put off XBox live because of the monthly payments. I've heard there are free alternatives though.

MattHiggs
07-08-2006, 13:27:15
...wait a minute - is this for the XBox 360?

King_Ghidra
07-08-2006, 13:32:13
that's what i have it on, i don't know if you can play it on an old xbox or not

MattHiggs
07-08-2006, 14:21:48
I've got Street Fighter Collection on the old Xbox. It includes Alpha, Hyper and Turbo. I didn't notice any live options though.

Still it's alright to have the person you're playing next to you - you can give them a dead arm when they spam the 100-hand-slap.

King_Ghidra
07-08-2006, 14:23:49
true :)

yeah this is a brand new one that you download through xbox live, it's not commercially available

MattHiggs
07-08-2006, 14:30:47
Damn, you got my hopes up then.

As a kid I used to go to a local sports centre every Friday night and play Street Fighter II Turbo, Mortal Kombat and Streets of Rage on the little arcade section they had.

It used to be winner stays on and I used to be unbeatable with Ken or Ryu. I could go a whole night and only use a few 10 pences. Well there was this one time when I got bullied of the machine by three huge black teenagers (I was only 8 or 9) but that's a different story.

Ahhhhh nostailga :(