PDA

View Full Version : Beneath A Steel Sky

King_Ghidra
02-08-2006, 08:44:50
Anyone played it?

I missed it on its original release but i remember hearing it was a good game. Got clued into it after looking at a list of cyberpunk games on wiki.

It's really good, good sense of humour, nice graphic design and not too clever that it frustrates me (so far).

The game itself is freeware now, and you can find it and a neat little emulator to play it at: http://www.scummvm.org/

The emulator also plays various other point and click games so if you've got a hankering for some monkey island or broken sword type action you can do that too.

Beta1
02-08-2006, 09:52:35
cool, might have to download that

Scud Wallaby
02-08-2006, 12:07:54
Great game!

Used to play it on my Amiga600 with no hard drive and about 15 floppy disks that had to be changed pretty much everytime the character moved. Even so - great little cyberpunk world.

I remember a part where you had to hook up to terminals and you went into a cyber world where solving surreal problems would upgrade your swipe card and let you progress. Or something.

Best thing about the original was the packaging - a matt black box with a grey image of an future industrial world, and inside you got code books and a little comic. The days when you needed a reinforced steel bookshelf to house your games. Even if it was a game with two floppy disks and a 12 page manual you still got the equivalent of a breezeblock. Think I prefered it then though. Bit like vinyl and cd's. Or walking to work in bare feet with a lump of bread and gristle for your lunch. For thirty miles. Like in my day.

But the game though was brilliant. Think i'll download that and see if it's as good as I remember.

Ellipsis
02-08-2006, 19:25:29
Used to play it on my brother's Amiga. Downloaded it a couple of years ago and it was just as fun.

Snotty
03-08-2006, 18:23:37
had a lot of fun with this game. came a cropper some time into the game when I needed codes for the terminals or something, and I didnt have the manual

Scabrous Birdseed
05-08-2006, 13:48:34
I never really got into it the times I tried, don't really know why. And this from a person who played the considerably crapper Flight of the Amazon Queen through to the end...

King_Ghidra
07-08-2006, 08:05:55
thank god for gamefaqs, sometimes what game designers consider lateral thinking is entirely alien to me

still plodding through it though, good fun

King_Ghidra
11-08-2006, 08:06:44
Once again i have uncannily tapped into the zeitgeist:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66613

Broken Sword designer Charles Cecil says he's looking into working on a sequel to adventure classic Beneath A Steel Sky.

Cecil said, "from a commercial perspective, there's a great deal to suggest that the game could be very well received".

That's largely thanks to Scumm VM - PC software designed to play old adventure games on modern operating systems - for which Cecil allowed the original Beneath A Steel Sky to be released for free.

Funko
11-08-2006, 08:15:19
I guess he lurks here.

Mr. Bas
11-08-2006, 10:15:19
It is indeed a pretty good game, I really enjoyed playing it again. It does seem a bit on the short side, although I didn't think so when I played it at it first. Still, very nice.

Tau Ceti
16-08-2006, 14:17:22
I doubt it could have been made much longer at the time. As far as I recall the Amiga version came on 12 disks.