PDA

View Full Version : APOD: The Milky Way over Utah

Spartak@CPH
01-08-2006, 09:02:56
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0608/mwcapitalreef_pacholka.jpgIf sometimes it appears that the entire Milky Way Galaxy is raining down on your head, do not despair. It happens twice a day. As the Sun rises in the East, wonders of the night sky become less bright than the sunlight scattered by our own Earth's atmosphere, and so fade from view. They will only rotate back into view when the Earth again eclipses our bright Sun at dusk. This battle between heaven and Earth was captured dramatically over a rock formation at Capitol Reef National Park Utah, USA in 2003 May. Dark dust, millions of stars, and bright glowing red gas highlight the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy, which lies on average thousands of light years behind Earth's mountains.
APOD (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html)

King_Ghidra
01-08-2006, 10:11:13
Wow.

Nills Lagerbaak
01-08-2006, 10:17:38
That is amazing.

Am I being dumb or is that paragraph fucking obvious?

"Sun is up sky is bright, sun is down stars are bright"

Or is there some other phenomenon I'm missing?

Greg W
01-08-2006, 10:39:08
Looks like someone shot their load on the camera lens, and didn't wipe it off very well.

MDA
01-08-2006, 11:16:30
Looks pretty nice to me - Greg seems to be projecting again.

or ejecting?

Oerdin
01-08-2006, 11:39:15
It's a bit over exposed as you can tell from seeing the halos around several bright starts. Also the large amount of light on the nearby rock formations along with the seemingly magnified milky way makes me think that picture is a computer modified composite.

Nills Lagerbaak
01-08-2006, 11:43:28
Unless it's a very over exposed shot taken with the very last of the sun on the rocks....still it would have to be taken at just the right moment for the gases in the milky way to be visible.

Justicebork
01-08-2006, 11:44:38
That's the very best thing I have heard about Utah.

Funko
01-08-2006, 11:57:57
What about Utah Saints U U U Utah Saints?

Oerdin
01-08-2006, 12:17:31
Utah is great. We put all the fucked up Mormons there so they don't bother the rest of us.

Justicebork
01-08-2006, 13:31:16
This is obviously fabricated. If this were true, it would have been well documented in Stephen King's wonderful history of the western United States, "The Stand."

Drekkus
01-08-2006, 14:20:45
They used the flashlight wrong, and overexposed the mountain and underexposed the stars.

Venom
01-08-2006, 16:02:59
FAKE!

maroule
01-08-2006, 16:07:15
Originally posted by Drekkus
They used the flashlight wrong, and overexposed the mountain and underexposed the stars.

they had a pretty powerful flashlight

KrazyHorse
01-08-2006, 16:16:54
Originally posted by Oerdin
It's a bit over exposed as you can tell from seeing the halos around several bright starts. Also the large amount of light on the nearby rock formations along with the seemingly magnified milky way makes me think that picture is a computer modified composite.

It's a long exposure. The milky way is relatively dim. In order to get a decent exposure for the milky way you need a long enough exposure time that bright stars will be seriously over exposed and also long enough that even under moonlight/starlight there will be detail in nearby objects.

MoSe
02-08-2006, 07:26:55
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Am I being dumb or is that paragraph fucking obvious?

"Sun is up sky is bright, sun is down stars are bright"

Or is there some other phenomenon I'm missing?

Yes: that internet youths don't learn things in school anymore, so if they don't read something on the net, it's not happening

I saw a tv commercial where one throws a flat pebble on the ocean, it makes the whole round and comes back as a Motorola PEBL cellphone.
At the end of the commercial a small font disclaimer warns to not imitate the commercial: the actual cellphone is not waterproof

MoSe
02-08-2006, 07:28:41
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
It's a long exposure.

see Nills?
Hadn't KH stated the obvious, none of the above would have understood it