PDA

View Full Version : Yay!

MattHiggs
26-07-2006, 09:26:24
After 6 months of going into my own business; today I have received my first paycheque!

It was for www.kheaveymotors.co.uk - who are a major sponsor of FC United of Manchester. FC-UTD are the breakaway team from Manchester United. They were set up by disgruntled fans - unhappy with the Glazier take over.

I'm also currentely working on another site: www.fabrication-tech.com.

It's my ambition to completely work full time with my own business in 24 months. How realistic does this seem? Obviously some of you work in this industry so your opinions are well respected!

mr_G
26-07-2006, 10:12:18
just go for it........that's how i did it.
first paycheck is def. a YAAAAAY.

MattHiggs
26-07-2006, 10:17:41
Going to get a bottle of champage tonight to celebrate.

We've just put an offer in for a house also. It's a nice 3 bedroom semi-detached and really cheap too!

It's going to be a double celebration!

YAAAAY!

mr_G
26-07-2006, 10:22:43
ahummm i thought you wrote something else....

bad mrG bad bad mrG

King_Ghidra
26-07-2006, 11:04:48
:lol:

MattHiggs
26-07-2006, 11:18:38
What did you write?

fp
26-07-2006, 12:13:26

MDA
27-07-2006, 18:28:29

Nav
28-07-2006, 08:55:58

Congratulations on the paycheque matt.

Originally posted by MattHiggs

It's my ambition to completely work full time with my own business in 24 months. How realistic does this seem? Obviously some of you work in this industry so your opinions are well respected!

If you're only doing very basic small sites you will need to do a lot of them to earn a living, as you'll earn very little from doing updates. So you will need to be constantly finding new clients.

Will this be mostly locally, by word-of-mouth? Remember you'll also be competing against other freelancers (in price and quality).

My advice: Don't quit your day job. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

MattHiggs
28-07-2006, 09:36:23
That's the advice I need :D

I'm not thinking of giving up my dayjob just yet. I've got another two clients at the moment (through word of mouth). I'm thinking after completing these sites (one will be an e-commerce site) I will have enough money to invest in local advertising.

Our local paper, currently, has NO adverts for web design - so I think there may be a gap in the market. Although I'm not too sure whether the local newspaper would be the best place to reach my target audience.

Scabrous Birdseed
28-07-2006, 10:44:26
You might wanna have a look at taking a few simple courses in graphic design or desktop publishing or something. I'm not sure you've got the idea of how to present information attractively down pat yet - you really need to start working with headers, illustrative photographs, columns, graphic elements, white space etc. Just taking a digital camera down to the premises of the company and putting a 150x150 pixel picture on each page would lighten stuff up loads, for instance.

(I hope you still want advice, I'm not a professional web designer by any means. Go criticise the site I made for my sister in the other thread if you want. :D)

MattHiggs
28-07-2006, 13:57:08
No, thanks Scabby, I really appreciate the advice.

K Heavey Motors didn't want any pictures of the premises on the site as they are quite small - yet they deal with huge leasing companies. They said that most companies have never even seen the property and if they did they would be less likely to deal with them etc...

Ignore tha fabrication technology site for the moment, I'm just experimenting with a full css layout. :)

Funko
28-07-2006, 14:54:04
Just posted this somewhere else today...

I wouldn't bother with full CSS layout.

Layout with tables and style with CSS, it's much more consistent across browsers and much faster to build.

fp
28-07-2006, 15:07:28
Originally posted by MattHiggs

Our local paper, currently, has NO adverts for web design - so I think there may be a gap in the market.

Either that, or the poor schmucks who were advertising in there previously got no business from it and went bust. ;)

Nav
28-07-2006, 15:33:30
Originally posted by Funko
I wouldn't bother with full CSS layout.

Layout with tables and style with CSS, it's much more consistent across browsers and much faster to build. I totally disagree, once you know what your doing it's just as quick, if not quicker using CSS, and the positives outweight the negatives such as browser inconsistencies...

Way less markup means less typing = less time (plus less bandwidth used).

Much easier to update. Separating design from structure makes changing the look and feel of elements sitewide much easier.

Easily produce different versions of the site for printing, handhelds, mobiles etc.

Using tables is just lazyness. Now stop posting and use CSS ;)

MattHiggs
28-07-2006, 15:42:14
I did use a full css layout for:

www.kheaveymotors.co.uk
www.georginakiedrowski.com

and I must admit it's great to work with but I'm still not as proficient with it as I'd like to be.

Funko
28-07-2006, 15:49:52
Browser inconsistencies is a major pain in the arse. Just testing stuff on multiple platforms takes a long time, let alone having to find a layout that works across all versions...

It takes significantly longer than designing the site.

the less time I have to spend on our test Mac the better, fucking macs.

Funko
28-07-2006, 15:57:32
Those sites Matt did are nice and simple, it looks like the only Div he's actually positioning in the kheavey motors one is the menu.

I note CG isn't done in CSS...

Scabrous Birdseed
28-07-2006, 16:16:11
I actually like the Camera Operator site the best of the three - it uses whitespace very well, the typography is good and it feels less text-heavy and more inviting. Still no pics though. :D

Funko
28-07-2006, 16:28:25
Funnily enough, I'm having the same CSS argument on another site.

I was recommended the site: www.cssplay.co.uk

Go and have a look...

then see how it looks in Netscape 4.8...

http://www.muf.me.uk/files/css.jpg

And people still use browsers older and shitter than that!

fp
28-07-2006, 16:58:54
Perhaps if people stopped designing sites that worked on crap like that then they'd switch!

Nav
28-07-2006, 17:30:30
It's actually impossible to cater to really old browsers. Just let it degrade gracefully, which the above site does well(mostly). Encourages users/companies to upgrade.

In firefox, turn off styles and you see how it will look in really archaic browsers.

CG was done in 2001. Long time before I started using CSS layouts! :D

MattHiggs
05-08-2006, 00:23:15
Just a little update. I think I'm finally happy with the design layout of www.fabrication-tech.com

I'm still not too sure about the top logo though. It has to be on a red background as it's going to be on a red van and I also have to make the theme look good on stationary also. Not a pleasant task!

Scabrous Birdseed
05-08-2006, 11:46:35
My immediate thought is maybe change the font colour of the menu buttons. Actually, the "depressed", more minimalist look might work better...

MattHiggs
05-08-2006, 12:51:38
I was just actually playing with the link fonts before I read this. I've gone for Gill Sans MT rather than Arial to make them a little different; the colour has also changed to a deep red to bring the header together.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-08-2006, 13:12:09
Much nicer.