PDA

View Full Version : Eve Newbie Stuff

Asher
11-07-2006, 05:48:06
So I'm 3-4 days into my 14 day trial of Eve. Seems kind of nifty.

Problem is I'm a heavy WoW player and I'm hesitant to subscribe to both. Is EVE a substantial time commitment? Further, is it any fun?

I want to know what once you're a month or so into the game, what does one do? Do you just go mine and make more money? Do you do "group combat" somehow? Do you invade places? Is there any real PvP system?

Just give me the general feel of the game and what it's about.

Beta1
11-07-2006, 07:49:57
head out into low sec/0.0 and your pretty much assured of finding some PvP.

Rather than mine most of us run missions, either solo or in a group depending on whos around. Theres also a fair bit of PvE pirate hunting and industry type stuff to do + the Elite style trading options.

I'm 6 months in and not bored yet.

And its as much time as you make it - you can keep training skills while off line so if you can have the same skills as the guy who plays 12 hours per day that started at the same time as you. You just probably wont have as much cash.

Ginfizwithatwist
11-07-2006, 08:57:13
Asher, Welcome to the madness, its a blast!!- have you been on our CG channel ingame? and whats your game name?
we all hang out there at reg intervals and you should check it out! and the really good thing is we can help you out with all those irritating noob questions that will come up on a regular basis- we have all had them!

JM^3
11-07-2006, 13:25:49
In 0 space Alliances fight over territory like they are empires. And they will have gate guns and everything in another 6ish months. In low sec and areas of 0 space pirates hold sway, and they will hunt you for their killboard and the loot they hope you will drop.

PVP is the biggest deal in this game of any I hav eplayed but possibly GW.

I think that at about the 6th month point, things can be repetive if you have just been going stuff in safe space solo. I know a lot of the CG people want to move on to 0 space...

Jon Miller

Venom
11-07-2006, 13:31:00
That's the main key, you can keep up skill wise with the hardcore psychos even if you only play 4 or 5 hours a week.

Centara Fugue
11-07-2006, 17:58:43
EVE has the best economy in any of these games I've tried. Almost everything is made by other players, and if you want to buy and sell, the available items are at your fingertips. The other thing this one does best is making you really despise a portion of the playerbase. I haven't really cared what side I was on in most of these games, but in this one, there are people out there who will kill you just because they have nothing better to do. After getting killed a few times going through <0.5 space, I've retired to the safety of higher-security space until I have a wish to go back and try mopping up some of that scum. Charting a course through the more dangerous areas of space is interesting, since there's completely open pvp there.

What the others have said is true. This one's the only one I know in which the skill system is completely real-time based, so you decide how much you want to play. There's lots of solo-friendly content in the form of missions for agents, and you can do anything with a group, too. There are complexes (think static dungeons) also, and in the lower-security space, you will find NPC pirates flying around the asteroid belts who will attack you on sight, making mining a bit more interesting (well, player pirates will also show up depending on where you are, and that can be even more interesting).

There are player-made courier missions, or you can just buy low sell high if you have a trader in you. Unlike in some games I've played, pretty much any of the options of play has a decent amount of profit associated with it, so if you find anything you like, you'll be able to make a living. I like combat best, but taking a break from that to do mining or courier missions is a valid option in this game.

The game really shines in the fact that the play mechanics change from ship to ship and depending on what you're doing with any given ship. You don't fly a frigate the same way you fly a cruiser, and one race's ships require different tactics from another. You will have many different fittings for any given ship, depending if you want to haul, mine, kill NPCs, or kill players, and within the combat setups, there are tanking and support roles as well as different setups for different NPC factions. It's a tinkerer's dream figuring out what the best setup is for each situation.

I wouldn't say the combat is fast-paced, but there is a lot to it. Transverse velocity and signature radius affect how well you can hit (or be hit by) enemy ships. You may have the most powerful guns you can equip on your ship, but they won't avail you if your enemy orbits too close and you can't track him, or if he sits outside your optimal range and flings missiles at you while you try in vain to catch him.

That was a big ramble, but I think it sums up some of what I like about this game. Come join the in-game chat. The channel is counterglow and the password is gaytwat.

Skanky Burns
12-07-2006, 02:47:35
Originally posted by Venom
That's the main key, you can keep up skill wise with the hardcore psychos even if you only play 4 or 5 hours a week.
At the same time, hardcore psychos are catered for too. By playing lots and getting a fair bit of Isk, they can buy implants to have their skills train faster. For example, I got a +3 implant which decreased the training time for one of my skills from 26 days to 23 days.

Its insignificant enough to not affect the general population. Its significant enough to matter to the hardcore psychos.

JM^3
12-07-2006, 02:49:32
I have never had +3 implants.. :(

And after I was killed by a pirate, I even lost my +1 and +2 implants.. :(

Working on aquiring money thuogh! :)

Jon Miller

Skanky Burns
12-07-2006, 02:53:09
I had a +4 at one stage. It was a gift from the corp I was doing missions for. Alas, I was podded.

Beta1
12-07-2006, 07:50:16
I've got a +4 charisma on the market now, I'm more than a little worried about moving it. Even in hi sec theres enough people who would suicided gank you just to get a 50mill implant.

Lurker the Second
12-07-2006, 13:55:30
Were those mission rewards or did you just save up enough lps to get the lp offer?

Beta1
12-07-2006, 14:51:53
storyline mission reward. Easy mission too - just bring 2000 units of some ore (cant remember which one but it cost less than 2mill to buy the lot)

Skanky Burns
12-07-2006, 23:52:33
Originally posted by Beta1
storyline mission reward. Easy mission too - just bring 2000 units of some ore (cant remember which one but it cost less than 2mill to buy the lot)

Asher
13-07-2006, 01:46:17
How do I join the CG "channel"?

Skanky Burns
13-07-2006, 08:12:10
From the main screen (left hand side) "Channels and mailing lists"
Click on the only button in the window that pops up. :)

Lurker the Second
13-07-2006, 13:54:25
Originally posted by Centara Fugue

That was a big ramble, but I think it sums up some of what I like about this game. Come join the in-game chat. The channel is counterglow and the password is gaytwat.

Koyaanisqatsi
17-07-2006, 10:58:41
Ok, I'm convinced. I'm downloading the client now to see what it's like. I hope the tutorials are good, because the manual is dull.

(Haven't played a MMOG since the days when interfaces were ASCII...)

Skanky Burns
17-07-2006, 11:17:41
The tutorial is long. Your timing could have been better depending on your download speed. The daily downtime is occuring at the moment. ;)

Koyaanisqatsi
17-07-2006, 11:19:25
Download is finished, but servers are down. :(

I'll live for an hour, I guess.

Asher
17-07-2006, 18:09:05
I've subscribed, now.

Lurker the Second
17-07-2006, 22:44:45
Cool, our little corporation grows......