PDA

View Full Version : If nothing sticks to teflon


Drekkus
10-07-2006, 09:21:13
If you use a teflon pan for a longer period, the teflon non stickyness diminishes. Does that mean that the teflon layer has worn off? And if so, where did it go? Has it been disolved in the food you make? Would that be healthy?

Spartak@CPH
10-07-2006, 09:22:18
yes it wears off and yes you eat it. Is is healthy? Not according to Mrs Spartak.

Gary
10-07-2006, 10:13:11
Probably doesn't stick to you - you'll know you passed it the morning you didn't need to strain. (And needed a change of underpants.)

Oerdin
10-07-2006, 10:37:04
Originally posted by Spartak@CPH
yes it wears off and yes you eat it. Is is healthy? Not according to Mrs Spartak.

This is true. Or at least teflon does wear off over time and bits of it end up in your food. I have no clue if it is unhealthy or not but the odds are such a chemical substance doesn't do anything good.

MDA
10-07-2006, 11:07:16
In a way its unhealthy, heat breaks it down into nasty stuff. I've read you should avoid teflon if you have birds as pets. They don't do well at all if you overheat one.

The teflon polymer itself is inert, oddly enough. My officemate is a polymer chemist. He tells horror stories about stuff like that to wind me up.

Drekkus
10-07-2006, 13:23:26
Ok, so for normal people, is it a healthrisk or not?

King_Ghidra
10-07-2006, 13:25:07
what do you reckon shitkiss? do you see millions of people dying from teflon poisoning?

Drekkus
10-07-2006, 13:40:10
Not yet, not yet. Or maybe they are, who knows. Asbestos en DDT were also great innovations.

King_Ghidra
10-07-2006, 14:05:19
true...

still anything that you eat or cook from/off/with will end up inside you to some degree or another. teflon or not, the surface of your cooking pans will end up in your guts, as will your knives and forks, plates etc.

Drekkus
10-07-2006, 14:10:25
Indeed, but a bit of iron scraping shouldn't kill you. I like to know if teflon is a poisonous chemical.

Japher
10-07-2006, 14:13:58
http://msds.dupont.com/msds/pdfs/EN/PEN_09004a2f80007a07.pdf

though once it's in "pan" form, who knows?

I'd think it's okay... until it's not

Nills Lagerbaak
10-07-2006, 14:17:03
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon_flu

Looks like the most common form of Teflon poisoning.

King_Ghidra
10-07-2006, 14:18:12
While Teflon itself is chemically inert and non-toxic, Teflon begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 500F (260C), and begins to significantly decompose above 660F (350C). These degradation products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans (see Teflon flu). By comparison, cooking fats, oils and butter will begin to scorch and smoke at about 392F (200C), and meat is usually fried between 400450F (200230C), but empty cookware can exceed this temperature if left unattended on a hot burner. A 1959 study, conducted before the FDA approved the material for use in food processing equipment, showed that the toxicity of fumes given off by the coated pan on dry heating was less than that of fumes given off by ordinary cooking oils.[1]

A 1973 study confirmed the FDA findings and found that a 4-hour exposure to the pyrolysis products of butter in an uncoated pan were 100% toxic to parakeets at 260C, whereas no deaths were observed for exposure to Teflon pyrolysis products until the Teflon coated pan was heated to 280C.[2] Over the 40 years non-stick cookware has been in widespread use, there is only one published case of a minor, short-lasting health effect linked to overheating non-stick cookware.[3]

The EPA's scientific advisory board found in 2005 that perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), a chemical compound used to make Teflon, is a "likely carcinogen." This finding was part of a draft report[4] that has yet to be made final. DuPont settled for $300 million in 2004 a lawsuit filed by residents near its manufacturing plant in Ohio and West Virginia based on groundwater pollution from this chemical. Currently this chemical is not regulated by the EPA.

In January 2006, DuPont, the only company that manufactures PFOA in the US, has agreed to eliminate releases of the chemical from its manufacturing plants by 2015, but did not commit to completely phasing out its use of the chemical. This agreement is said to apply to not only Teflon used in cookware but in other products such as food packaging, clothing and carpeting. DuPont also stated that it cannot produce Teflon without the use of the chemical PFOA, although it is looking for a substitute.

It is noteworthy that PFOA is not part of the finished product of nonstick cookware or bakeware. It is only used during the manufacture of the product and only a trace amount of PFOA remains after the curing process. There should be no measurable amount of PFOA on a finished pan, provided that it has been properly cured.[3]

PTFE powder will react violently when heated with powdered metals such as aluminum and magnesium to form carbon and the metal fluoride.[citation needed] When PTFE coated stir bars are exposed to a solution of solvated electrons in liquid ammonia the surface is converted to carbon.

King_Ghidra
10-07-2006, 14:20:18
in other words, unless you count among your hobbies sitting around burning teflon pans and inhaling the resulting fumes, don't worry

Japher
10-07-2006, 14:21:53
dude... there was no warning

I'm suing!

Drekkus
10-07-2006, 14:22:51
Scientists say that if there are any long-term effects, the first place they'd look for them would be in the people who have had the greatest exposure to the chemicals the people who work, live and drink the water near the Teflon plant in West Virginia. Venom's behaviour is proof of this!

KrazyHorse
10-07-2006, 15:03:18
own goal. West Virginia is as far from Raleigh as London is from Rotterdam

Japher
10-07-2006, 15:07:31
what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Fistandantilus
10-07-2006, 15:07:55
You are underestimating Venom's size.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-07-2006, 17:17:29
Originally posted by MDA
I've read you should avoid teflon if you have birds as pets. They don't do well at all if you overheat one.

I'm happy to report I've never overheated a pet bird, I always take them out of the pan after they crisp up.