PDA

View Full Version : energy boosting

devilmunchkin
30-06-2006, 16:44:18
anyone know a healthy way to boost my energy during the day? I've changed up my diet to be pretty healthy (high fiber/fruit/vitamins) but my ass is dragging all day. I've nearly fallen asleep in my chair a few times. Yes, I am getting sleep at night..too much almost because I'm so tired all the time.

JM^3
30-06-2006, 16:49:22
jog? or do other exercising?

drink coffee (not healthy)

drink a lot during the day? (need to make sure you get lots of vitamens and minerals also, some of them leave your body in pee)

eat enough protien?

Jon Miller

JM^3
30-06-2006, 16:49:56
are you depressed?

JM
(I get like this sometimes, and often it is depression related)

devilmunchkin
30-06-2006, 16:55:32
i exercise everyday
i don't drink coffee...i have low caffeine intake
i take alot of vitamins. just this morning i took a calcium citrate, a multivitamin, and extra iron
yes, i'm always depressed
i don't know about protein. other than eggs and peanut butter (highly fattening) i'm not sure what to eat for protein
and i drink only water during the day

JM^3
30-06-2006, 16:59:39
you a vegeterrian?

I have been one for life... being too low of protein can be bad for you (you don't need as much as the common meat eater claims though)

veggie meat is decent and fast (soy is always good)

tofu is healthier for you, and you can still do pretty fast

a bit more complicated is to eat beans, and beans aren't a complete protien: you need to eat them with other stuff (but if you eat a couple different beans, and some whole grains, and some veggies over the course of a couple days you should be doing good)

do you eat veggies?

Jon Miller
(and I mean exercise when you are tired.. I know it is hard)

(honestly, I use to be lik e that also, where I would just fall asleep all the time.. I have been less like that recently)

devilmunchkin
30-06-2006, 17:03:19
No, i'm not a vegetarian. I'm too texan for that. ;) I eat lunch meat with my sandwich 5 days a week, and maybe a meat for dinner 2 times a week.
I exercise even when I'm tired.
I eat veggies but not alot. Maybe once a week. I eat more fruit and fiber stuff than anything.
I don't do beans very often. They make you fart.

JM^3
30-06-2006, 17:10:13
Actually I get made to fart more by processed foods and dairy.

Hmm, the meat means you are fine for protien, I would say you are low of veggies (but I don' t know whether that makes you tired or not). Veggies have almost nonexistant callories, but give you tons of vetamins and the like. If you are missing something (that you aren't getting from the fruit, fiber, and meat) the veggies probably have it.

Otherwise, my comment on depression (and the suggestion that if you are falling asleep in the office or whatever, to just go out jogging).

Jon Miller
(I honestly use to fall asleep all the time, now I do very rarely (mostly in seminars))

devilmunchkin
30-06-2006, 17:15:27
wouldn't the vitamins make up for the lack of veggies?
i'm just as depressed as i always am tho...probably less so...

JM^3
30-06-2006, 17:26:27
vitamens aren't always absorbed as well as the same stuff in veggies are..

also, vitamins can be lacking in stuff...

JM

JM^3
30-06-2006, 17:29:10
addiction related?

if so, possibly it will go away soon

JM

devilmunchkin
30-06-2006, 17:57:06
what do you mean addiction related?

Japher
30-06-2006, 18:13:18
a dick shun

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-06-2006, 18:20:37
Check out a low GI diet. My wife's a skinny thing like you, and gets energy slumps. She swears by a low GI diet to tackle it.

You'll end up eating lots of porridge and whole grains, but it's all good for you.

Caligastia
30-06-2006, 18:25:58
Originally posted by Japher
a dick shun

*chortle*

Venom
30-06-2006, 18:27:44
Crystal meth will pick you right up.

Japher
30-06-2006, 18:30:51
nice girl, that Crystal

devilmunchkin
30-06-2006, 18:46:31
yes i am ;)

laz: things like soup, oatmeal..mushy stuff?

JM^3
30-06-2006, 19:55:34
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
what do you mean addiction related?

Did you change any of your habits recently?

Your BF might mean more to you then you think (DP related).

If the poridge contains vegetables then I agree with Laz.

JM
(I tihnk the one biggest thing wrong with modern diets is that they don't contain enough vegetables)

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-06-2006, 20:57:32
Originally posted by devilmunchkin

laz: things like soup, oatmeal..mushy stuff?

Not really. Here's a linky-

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-06-2006, 20:59:11
It's all about foods that your body obtains energy slowly and steadily from, rather than the rush/crash effect of high GI diets.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
30-06-2006, 22:05:03
One obvious question: are you being treated for the depression?

devilmunchkin
30-06-2006, 23:29:20
yes. I'm on about 12 mg of seroquel and 20 mg of lexapro per day. I started about a month ago. However, i'm not as bad as i was earlier in the year..i've had depression/mental issues since i was 13. Before i went on the seroquel i wasn't able to sleep more than a few hours in a stretch no matter how tired i was.

I have slightly changed my diet lately..but what i did was cut out alot of the junk food. If i need to snack, i'm snacking on fruits.

Laz: the only part of the diet i don't already do is the salad veggies. My veggie intake has never been high.