PDA

View Full Version : Pollute your ears- the electronic/industrial collection

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-06-2006, 14:52:24
You know the deal by now- I'm doing another PYE collection. This one to cover the development of electronic/industrial music from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to Folktronica.

If you want a copy, and are prepared to review it here (freeloaders can bugger off), just shout.

Kitsuki
30-06-2006, 15:20:08
Id like one, and yup I will review it. :)

Funko
30-06-2006, 15:29:29
me too and me too

self biased
30-06-2006, 15:31:03
sure thing. i'm down.

Kitsuki
30-06-2006, 16:05:46
Originally posted by self biased
sure thing. i'm down.

... with the kids?

Funko
30-06-2006, 16:08:00
on the... low?

Eklektikos
30-06-2006, 16:32:18
I'd love one, but as you might possibly have noticed I'm a little unreliable on the reviewing front so I'll understand if you choose not to send one my way.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-06-2006, 18:17:11
You've been redeemed by a fairly reliable showing on LWP, so you'll get one.

Self? PM me the address to send it to.

Tau Ceti
30-06-2006, 21:35:38
I would like one if possible. I will send a PM with the address.

Gramercy Riffs
01-07-2006, 02:27:05
I'll do one if thats ok.

Does it have any Head of David?

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2006, 06:15:51
No. Before anyone asks, there's no Bananarama either.

Foetus
05-07-2006, 02:11:10
Oooh, me me.

You should still have my email address and real address, they haven't changed.

And maybe I'll get one within six months this time, eh?

I think I'm reasonably enough equipped to review it.

Gramercy Riffs
05-07-2006, 21:34:20
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
No. Before anyone asks, there's no Bananarama either.

what the fuck?

BigGameHunter
08-07-2006, 06:14:08
Me for god's sake...I can't help myself.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-07-2006, 18:26:05
Track listing.

1 "Doctor Who"- The BBC Radiophonic Workshop (Delia Derbyshire)

The BBC Radiophonic Worshop will probably prove to be utterly unique in history- a bunch of boffins paid (at public expense) to bugger about with sound in order to make weird incidental music. They succeeded.
One of those boffins was a genius sound editor called Delia Derbyshire. In 1963 she was presented with a bog-standard composition by hack composer Ron Grainer and was asked to turn it into something "spacey". Without the slightest whiff of a sythesizer (this was 1963, after all) she painstakingly produced one of the most memorable theme tunes ever. The Dr Who theme has been re-recorded many times since then, but each one has proved to be a pale imitation of the nakedly menacing original.
Depite being over 40 years old, this track hasn't dated at all. While the credit for inventing electronic music is generally credited to certain early 20th century avant-garde composers, their work was only heard by a few thousand beard-strokers. Delia Derbyshire's masterpiece was heard by tens of millions of impressionable young minds, including nearly all of those who appear on this CD. As far as I'm concerned, this is where it starts. Listen to this as a piece of music in its own right and be amazed at what Derbyshire achieved with the technology at her disposal. She crops up again on track 5, incidentally.

2 "Being Boiled"- The Human League

This is what those young Dr Who-watchers went on to create. Those who only know the Human League from their 1980's synth-pop years will probably be surprised by what they sounded like in the 1970's. They were the spearhead of a bunch of British bands using synths to create minimalist dystopian music heavily influenced by J G Ballard. This was their debut single from 1978- it cost about 10 to record and is probably still the only Buddhist critique of sericulture (the production of silk) ever recorded.

3- "Ghost Rider"- Suicide

In case I have created the impression that this stuff only happened in Britain, here's some perspective. The very American Suicide pioneered the concept of the synth duo, and also claim to be the first band ever to call themselves "Punk". This in the opening track from their 1977 debut album, which is a monster. I nearly put on "Frankie Teardrop", but it's 10 minutes long and people would have moaned. Anyway, this track's ace too.

4- "Hamburger Lady"- Throbbing Gristle

Throbbing Gristle are usually credited with being the first Industrial band, and their offshoots include Psychic TV, Coil and Cyclobe. This was their most disturbing moment- a 1977 meditation on a 100% burns victim.

5- "Love without sound"- White Noise

Taking a step back to 1967, this is what Delia Derbyshire did outside of her day job. The White Noise album "An Electric Storm" is a lost psychedelic classic that is now a real cult album, and this is their first track which got them signed to Island.

6- "Warm Leatherette"- The Normal

Another Ballard-influenced minimalist track from the late 70's. This was more famously covered by Grace Jones, but I prefer the original. The Normal was Daniel Miller, who went on to found Mute Records (which he sold for about 50 million quid, making him the richest person on this collection).

7- "O Superman"- Laurie Anderson

Long tracks are the quickest way to alienate audiences on these compilations, but omitting this track would have been a crime. This is the high point of early 80's electronic music, and remains one of the very strangest records ever to be a major hit (it reached no 2 in the UK singles charts). Swooping from quirky to chilling without the slightest change of tone or pace, it displays Anderson's innate grasp of dynamics. She best-known these days for being Lou Reed's other half, but this shows she's much more than that.

8- "Gums bleed"- Foetus

So now it's the early 80's, and Industrial is really kicking off. To represent this period I nearly put on a Whitehouse track, but their misogynistic hate-fuelled white noise isn't ageing well. Jim "Foetus" Thirlwell's work stands up a lot more impressively these days. This 1982 track shows how Rock influences were starting to creep into Industrial, paving the way for its mainstream acceptance in later years.

9- "Krieg in den stadten"- Einsturzende Neubaten

Your average hardcore Rivethead would probably declare Einsturzende Neubaten to be the purest expression of Industrial music, and this ear-melter is a classic example. Furious metallic percussion, hollered vocals from frontman Blixa Bargeld and weird noises flying off in all directions. Fab.

10- "Yagga Blues"- Nurse With Wound

Industrial is a pretty wild and weird genre, and this is the wildest and weirdest of the lot. Nurse With Wound is Steven Stapleton, a Dadaist artist who is a prolific creator of bizarre music. This is a fairly recent track (he's been active since 1979) and is certainly one of his most accessible numbers (I thought it would be unfair to inflict one of his brain-melters on virgin ears).

11- "Kissing the sun"- The Young Gods

Industrial was already mutating fast in 1987, with bands like Skinny Puppy breaking through. However they got blown away by a feral trio of sample-happy Swiss barbarians, who built genuinely savage tracks out of mutating snippets of Metal riffs. This is a mid-period track, and is probably the closest this CD comes to what most people would associate with an "Industrial" sound. What I like most about the Gods is that they steer clear of all the usual Industrial downer lyrical cliches, and usually make furiously uplifting music. A certain Mr Reznor was listening verrrrrry carefully to this bunch in the late 80's.....

12- "Pilot"- The Notwist

This turned up on an early LWP compilation, but it deserves another airing. The Notwist started out as a German hardcore band, but had mutated beyond all recognition by the time this 2001 single was released. They were largely ignored by the public, but proved to be massively influential with the emerging electronica bands.

13- "Basscadet"- Autechre

Apparently they're a dance band, but they sound more like hardcore electronica to me. I'm a big fan of Autechre, who (it has to be said) don't half pull some nerve-shredding beats out of the bag.

14- "Faking the books"- Lali Puna

Very closely linked to The Notwist and using the same sort of sound, but they're a lot more commercially successful. Apparently all of Radiohead love this band, but don't let those whinging fuckers put you off this seductive mid-European collective.

15 "Jenny again"- Tunng

Folktronica! This is from this year's "Comments from the inner chorus" album, which is a hallucinatory masterpiece. Anything with Oliver Postgate samples is great as far as I'm concerned.

16 "Stabbed in the face"- Wolf Eyes

This is Noise. You'll probably hate it, unless you're Eklektikos or me. It's from their 2004 album "Burned Mind".

17- "In Bristol with a pistol"- Third Eye Foundation

From 1997, a spectacularly moody piece of vicious electronica-meets-TripHop to round things off.

C.G.B. Spender
22-07-2006, 10:05:38
If you are interested in the roots of electronic music try this http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000BDGVX6/028-6514573-4391737?v=glance&n=290380
tough stuff !

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-08-2006, 18:22:02
Owing to CD problems, this has been delayed. ETA s now early September.

Mr. Bas
15-08-2006, 08:53:48
Ooh, if it's still possible, I'd definitely like one!