PDA

View Full Version : WWII strategic games

Greg W
28-06-2006, 04:19:28
Just wondering if anyone knows any good strategic level games for WWII. To give an indication of what I'd like, basically Hearts of Iron (I or II) with a decent AI would be brilliant.

For those that don't know HoI, basically something that allows me to take control of any number of countries, build up their economy, build up their army, navy and air force, and allows me to go out and fight a decent war.

Games that don't fit the bill, and why:
- HoI 1/2: My kingdom for an AI
- Axis and Allies: a bit light on detail for what I'm after
- Civ 1/2/3/4: haven't seen a good enough mod yet for any of them (though I have only really looked at Civ4, and not entirely sure the game is best suited for the style I am after

I'm not after a complete grognard's game, nor am I after Risk. I'm after something inbetween. So, any suggestions?

Tau Ceti
28-06-2006, 06:32:28
I would expect there to be exceedingly few games with an abstraction level between Axis and Allies and grognard games. :(

If you are able and willing to run ancient DOS games, you could check out Clash of Steel. Hex-based, but not too heavy. Has economy, production, research, variable strength units and supply, and lets you play the whole European campaign.

JM^3
28-06-2006, 14:13:34
There was a decent Civ2 WW2 Scen.

JM

Venom
28-06-2006, 19:57:10
Good luck with this search. I've been wracking my brain all day and I can't think of one.

HelloKitty
28-06-2006, 21:55:02
Can't you play HOI2 multiplayer?

If there is a thriving group of players you could be set.

JM^3
29-06-2006, 03:49:08
I have HOI2

JM

Greg W
29-06-2006, 07:30:21
Well, due to my odd times of play, I'm not sure that MP would work all that well.

Hmm, might have to try some Grognard's games. Anyone got any suggestions on some that might not be too overwhelming? :clueless:

HelloKitty
29-06-2006, 10:46:44
Well you could also use the fan made mod for HOI2, DAIM

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213209

basicly its goal was to fix the stupidity like germany building up massive amounts of ships, and the computer building huge paratrroper invasion forces, when the computer can't use paratroops...

Chris
29-06-2006, 10:59:28
HoI2 Doomsday had a revamped AI.

Its better then it was, but still beatable.

Gray Grisby's World at War is a better simulation of WWII.

There is no other strategic level WWII games that are great that I can think of.

Civ 2 had a great Russian front scenario that took days to play.

Greg W
29-06-2006, 13:13:11
Hokay, I might have a look at the HoI2 mod(s) and that World at War. Cheers. :beer:

maroule
29-06-2006, 13:15:07
there are a few good ones at more tactical level, like Korsun pocket

Greg W
07-07-2006, 03:59:09
Yeah, more after strategic games, though I might play around with some tactical games at some point.

Picked up Grisby's World at War the other day. A little lost at the moment after playing the tuitorial, cos there's a lot of the more complex rules I don't understand yet, but it seems allright.

The delayed production is a bit. Hmm. Unusual. In that I can't seem to find somewhere that'll tell me how long something will take to build before I decide to build it. There's probably some way to figure it out. Maybe I need to read the manual? ;)

Greg W
08-07-2006, 02:23:41
Heh heh, figured out how to tell when something will be built - yep, I RTFM. :cute: