PDA

View Full Version : That's a relief

JM^3
27-06-2006, 06:15:04
Well, as far as the University is concerned, I am fine next semester. Which should mean that I pass through this time (with my professor/advisor going into critical care, and no longer being able to be my advisor, and me still having some grade issues) happily.

So anyways, I am happy about that. I am also looking at a nearby church to see if I can do some volunteering or something.

Jon Miller
(20k more events to replay)

JM^3
27-06-2006, 06:19:05
One thing though, is that I am looking at a SDA church (which is what I was raised in, and am a member of, and I agree with them on some important doctrines). Which is fairly conservative period, and in the south is even more conservative.

Now I knew that they wouldn't be a fan of my drinking, so when I finally talked to an Elder I was up front about it (but did say that I thought that my getting drunk wasn't healthy, it is always good to give a little, especially if it is probably true). But I had forgotten about how many other preconceived notions SDAs generally have... (very conservative)

So we will see how that goes.

Jon Miller

Asher
27-06-2006, 06:20:05
Nice work.

shagnasty
27-06-2006, 07:03:39
Quote:

"That's a relief "

You've not just had another wank have you? :wink:

Greg W
27-06-2006, 07:09:14
Don't answer that question! :nervous:

Congrats though. :beer:

MattHiggs
27-06-2006, 08:26:11
Originally posted by JM^3
One thing though, is that I am looking at a SDA church (which is what I was raised in, and am a member of, and I agree with them on some important doctrines). Which is fairly conservative period, and in the south is even more conservative.

Now I knew that they wouldn't be a fan of my drinking, so when I finally talked to an Elder I was up front about it (but did say that I thought that my getting drunk wasn't healthy, it is always good to give a little, especially if it is probably true). But I had forgotten about how many other preconceived notions SDAs generally have... (very conservative)

So we will see how that goes.

Jon Miller

Did you tell them about your wanking?

JM^3
27-06-2006, 08:40:50
Err, not explicitly?

I actually expect that they will think I am highly permiscuous or something based upon my alcohol use..

Jon Miller

shagnasty
27-06-2006, 09:32:26
Originally posted by MattHiggs
Did you tell them about your wanking?

No need. The bad eyesight and hairy palms give it away.;)

mr_G
27-06-2006, 09:45:29
Now this is a great relief!!
http://www.kitestailstoys.com/pranks/images/poop.jpg

Greg W
27-06-2006, 09:50:08
Originally posted by JM^3
I actually expect that they will think I am highly permiscuousPerisarcous? Pumiceous? Peromyscus? :p

Hang on, I just realised, I'm having a go at jiphon mihaelovich for his spelling. :nervous:

JM^3
02-07-2006, 01:22:59
Well, Friday I put in an Abstract. I should be giving a talk at the APS conference in Tenn. in late October.

This is also good news. No new advances on the doing community service stuff through church, I won't be back there for two weeks.. (next week the apolycon and that Sunday my cousin gets married..).

Jon Miller

JM^3
02-07-2006, 01:24:04
Basically more good news. The only news that would make everything amazing in Physics land is if my Prof. from last fall accepts my rewrite for the paper I bombed, and gives me a B-.

Jon Miller
(then I will be a Candidate)

JM^3
02-07-2006, 01:24:32
Originally posted by Greg W
Perisarcous? Pumiceous? Peromyscus? :p

Hang on, I just realised, I'm having a go at jiphon mihaelovich for his spelling. :nervous:

Don't worry, everyone wishes to at some time or another.

Jon Miller

Oerdin
02-07-2006, 04:30:22
Congrats on the prof allowing a rewrite.

Ginfizwithatwist
02-07-2006, 09:10:43
Congrats on making it to next semester, and being able to re-write your paper.
On the volunteering front, if you are concerned about them being uber conservative and trying to put pressure on you, can you not join a non- religeous/religeous neutral organisation where they will value your input on its own merits ? (unless of course you wish to have the guidance from your community church/Elders)

JM^3
02-07-2006, 21:47:15
But I am religious.. I think some of what is wrong with organized religion is that they don't use their power to help others as they should.. I want to try and be part of the solution.

Jon Miller
(I have done a (small) bit of volunteering with a Buddist group)

Christoph
03-07-2006, 00:00:43
I saw this thread and thought about masturbating after a hot date where you get none.

JM^3
03-07-2006, 00:34:16
I don't have hot dates

I have staring at girl with hunger in my eyes at the supermarket/park/street corner/etc..

JM

Christoph
03-07-2006, 00:51:50
Don't we all

devilmunchkin
03-07-2006, 20:13:48
good job on pulling it all together. i knew you would...
what does SDA stand for? I think they'd let you into the church anyway..they'd want to try and save you.

JM^3
03-07-2006, 21:37:09
Oh, I have no fear about them letting me in to church. But it is true that some churchs seem to hold their noses in the air at times.

SDA = Seventh-Day Adventist

I am of the opinion that church isn't incredibly needed.. but there are certain advantages to being in a group and organization. One of those is it allows a larger number of people to do more then just one. Like in helping others.

Jon Miller