PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy looking e-mail from a mericun company...

shagnasty
13-06-2006, 17:35:22
I ordered some shirts over t'internet earlier today from a store across the water.

A bit later on I recieved this e-mail

Stuart,

Security on the Internet:

Our online ordering system is very secure and ensures that no one can tap into your transmission and use your credit information. However, this does not stop people from entering false information.

This Authorization form is a procedure to confirm that the order has been made by the authorized card holder. This is an extra security measure we require to protect you, the card holder, and Tennis Warehouse from credit card fraud. We realize that this will take a little more time but the protection it offers outweighs the inconvenience.

The form below is issued to all new customers and will not be required for future orders. (* Previous customers using a shipping address and/or card number different to the one we have on file will be asked to complete a new authorization form.)

REQUIRED INFORMATION:
The following information will need to be e-mailed, faxed or sent via postal mail before an order can be processed:

1. The name, address and telephone number of the bank issuing your credit card 2. A copy of your credit card (both sides) 3. A copy of your personal identification card or driver's license 4. The signed credit card authorization form below

AUTHORIZATION FORM:
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Bank Name:
__________________________________________________ __________________
Address:
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Phone number: _____________________

I,____________________, authorize Tennis Warehouse to charge my credit card, _____________________, in the amount of $________ for the purchase of merchandise on Order #__________.

Your order will be processed once we receive the necessary information.
You are welcome to e-mail the information to: blah blah blah

Do the American companies often ask for all this info?

By the way, I'm not going to send them anything.

Japher
13-06-2006, 17:38:38
I order off the internet A LOT
and
I have never seen anything like that

you entered that information on their site

that is an unsolicited e-mail, don't fall for it

In order so that doesn't happen again, you should fill out that form and e-mail it to me at japher_dude@yahoo.com

shagnasty
13-06-2006, 17:43:51
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's in the post.

Gary
13-06-2006, 22:09:08
I'm shocked :eek: you didn't order under the name "shagnasty" !

LoD
13-06-2006, 22:15:09
They're either scam artists, or idiots (in most cases, e-mails are sent unencrypted). In either case, don't reply.

notyoueither
13-06-2006, 23:08:42
That actually looks legit so long as they offered a fax number that you can verify belongs to the shirt company.

Companies that don't want to be burned will want to speak to your credit card company to verify information to reduce fraud. They will also want ways to prove to the cc company that the card holder is who they were dealing with. They want that because some wankers try to renege on charges they agreed to.

LoD
13-06-2006, 23:27:12
Again, if they claim a standard e-mail is "secure", then it's by no means legit - at least in two possible meanings of the word.

notyoueither
13-06-2006, 23:45:42
While I agree that making email an option isn't bright, it dosn't make the company dishonest. To their credit they do also suggest fax and post for this sensitive information.

Skanky Burns
14-06-2006, 00:12:01
Radio advertsising the information to them would possibly be more secure.

Diss
14-06-2006, 00:20:39
you wear shirts?

real men go around with no shirt on.

shagnasty
14-06-2006, 08:02:28
They are for TT.

I replied to them to tell them to sod off, they aint gettin all that, I got this reply:

Stuart,

Thank you for your response. It is our company policy to require the Authorization Form from all of our International Customers. I do sympathize and understand that it is somewhat of a hassle to fill out and fax to us, but it does ensure extra protection for both of us.
Once you submit the authorization form, it will be on file with us and you would not have to send it again for future orders. We will need a completed authorization form before the order can be processed using a credit card. We will need copies of your credit card (front and back) and photo identification. You are more than welcome to black out the first eight digits of the credit card and/or write "copy" over the copies. If you do not wish to provide this information you may pay via money order, wire transfer (additional $15 for wire) or Western Union if you would like. We do accept PayPal as a means of payment, but we request that all PayPal orders be placed via our web site. Please reply to this email as soon as possible informing us on how you would like to continue. Please let me know if I may help you with anything else.

It does sound legit, although I'm still not going to send them all that stuff. I've re-ordererd the shirts using paypal.

shagnasty
14-06-2006, 08:10:27
The shirts in question. :bounce:

*End Is Forever*
14-06-2006, 09:26:51
Why are you ordering t-shirts from the US anyway?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
14-06-2006, 09:35:56
Originally posted by shagnasty

Thank you for your response. It is our company policy to require the Authorization Form from all of our International Customers. I do sympathize and understand that it is somewhat of a hassle to fill out and fax to us, but it does ensure extra protection for both of us.
Once you submit the authorization form, it will be on file with us and you would not have to send it again for future orders. We will need a completed authorization form before the order can be processed using a credit card. We will need copies of your credit card (front and back) and photo identification. You are more than welcome to black out the first eight digits of the credit card and/or write "copy" over the copies. If you do not wish to provide this information you may pay via money order, wire transfer (additional $15 for wire) or Western Union if you would like. We do accept PayPal as a means of payment, but we request that all PayPal orders be placed via our web site. Please reply to this email as soon as possible informing us on how you would like to continue. Please let me know if I may help you with anything else.

Seems the Americans want to win the retarded bureaucratic hazzle cup.

shagnasty
14-06-2006, 09:36:04
I can't get these shirts in this country.

King_Ghidra
14-06-2006, 10:30:13
this is some bloody ping pong thing isn't it

shagnasty
14-06-2006, 10:34:46
yar

Gary
14-06-2006, 11:21:32
Regarding daft conditions, I made an Internet order for some laminate flooring yesterday. Today they're insisting that they have to have the land line phone number and not the mobile, for security reasons. WTF ?!?!? I only have a land line because it's obligatory for the broadband. Eventually they were happy they'd got it off of 192 (or something) - well I couldn't remember the number. Nosey damn companies always wanting info they don't have a need to know. They dare give it out or plague me with sales calls ! I really must make the number officially ex-directory I think. Get enough crap calls already despite being on lists stating I don't want them.

shagnasty
14-06-2006, 11:29:32
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel

It's not a hassle for me to do it, I have all the bits they want to hand. It's just we're always told to ignore e-mails asking for any information like what they want. Yet they insist it is for my security. Kiss my arse they can.

LoD
14-06-2006, 11:42:36
Originally posted by notyoueither
While I agree that making email an option isn't bright, it dosn't make the company dishonest. To their credit they do also suggest fax and post for this sensitive information.

That wasn't one of the two meanings of legit I was talking about :). Although it doesn't seem like they're running a scam, they're violating basic security rules.

What, feeling endangered ;)?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
14-06-2006, 11:43:42
YES!!! :mad:

LoD
14-06-2006, 12:17:45
:lol:

You shouldn't be!

Dyl Ulenspiegel
14-06-2006, 12:22:25
Ok, I'm just annoyed by ambitious amateurs.

LoD
14-06-2006, 12:24:30
Ah. Well, it's not like they could provide you with any meaningful competition for at least, say, the next 100 years or so.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
14-06-2006, 12:30:30
For sheer annoyance factor, they have beaten us already.

For style, that's at least 100 years away.

Japher
14-06-2006, 14:05:53
does the website have a customer service e-mail or number you can call to verify that the email is legit?

shagnasty
15-06-2006, 06:38:52
jesjes they do. 2 e-mail addresses and a phone number. The address that those mails came from is one of those listed.
Still not giving them all that though. They kiss my shiny botty. I have re-ordered and used paypal instead. The shirts should arrive next week. YAAAAY. And as soon as I get them, I've got to forward them on to an embroiderers in cardiff so I can get the club motto badge put on. YAAAAY.:bounce:

notyoueither
15-06-2006, 07:10:07

Do you have any idea what the rate of cc fraud is, especially for international orders?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
15-06-2006, 08:27:04
Tell me.

What is the rate of internet fraud on internationsl orders for two t-shirts?

What is the risk for the company when they are a partner of the credit card company?

On the other side, what is the risk of your personal data getting packaged and sold?

notyoueither
16-06-2006, 03:10:41
You'd be surprised. People try to reneg on orders they placed themselves, or that were placed by friends and family members. Many people are remarkably cavalier about credit cards, and then even more people get choked when banks and merchants try to cut down on fraud.

The risk is great when the cc companies are not actually the partners of the merchants. In any transaction there are three parties on the financial side. The merchants bank, the consumers bank, and the credit card company. This arrangement is not weighted towards the merchants.

If you don't trust the company you are ordering things from, why give them your cc number? Conversely, if you are not willing to offer proof of who you are, why should the merchant trust you?

notyoueither
16-06-2006, 03:46:24
This is a pretty standard clause of a cc merchant agreement.
http://contracts.onecle.com/select-comfort/fnbo.svc.1997.12.19.shtml
2.1.2 MERCHANT must be able to prove, by evidence of a terminal capture of a
magnetic stripe or signed sales draft showing imprint of the CARD, that
the CARD was present at the time of SALE, unless specifically set up for
Mail Order and Telephone Order ("MO/TO") transactions.

Mail order agreements simply mean they know you are taking cards that are not presented, physically. The merchant is on the hook 100% for fraudulent use of cards where the card is not physically present on the premises.