PDA

View Full Version : NCSoft actually does something about bots/farmers. SOE and blizzard get going!

HelloKitty
07-06-2006, 19:31:18
http://search.hankooki.com/times/times_view.php?path=hankooki3/times/lpage/biz/200605/kt2006050917505311880.htm&media=kt

2 years suspended for the makers of a Bot program.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
07-06-2006, 21:37:29
Blizzard unofficially encourages bots. I had two bot rogues follow my pet around on the weekend thinking it was a mob. I put in two tickets (twice for one particular bot toon), and a GM had words with me, but lo! the bots were still around the next day.

I think they rely too much on results from their anti-bot trojan thingy than from invisible GMs actually using common sense and looking at logs or actually watching toon behaviour *gasp*!

Darkstar
07-06-2006, 21:38:28
Bots pay a subscription man. Why would they want to ban them? Steady money!

HelloKitty
07-06-2006, 22:01:00
Of course they encourage bots.

Look at the UI mods that only use Blizzard scripting.

I know there is one for warlocks that you only have to press one button and it will decide what spell to cast for that press based on your mana, the targets current DOts, the targets health, etc.

and I hear there are healer mods that do pretty much the same thing for heals.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
08-06-2006, 01:36:08
Oh, absolutely, though recently they've changed their UI hooks to disbale truly automatic behaviours. Bots still ignore that, and the "common knowledge" is that certain bot programs are banned.

But bots are becoming more human-like in their behaviour all the time, and with truly random process names and even self-modifying code, they're getting harder and harder to identify.

MDA
08-06-2006, 10:52:38
I still love tapping their targets before they do and letting the bot finish it off while I kill something else. If Blizz won't ban them, I'll exploit the botters.

Shining1
08-06-2006, 23:56:17
If you're on a PvP server, bots = free honor.

Tho, for that matter, so do Chinese farmers. =D

HelloKitty
11-06-2006, 17:44:37
Well they gave up against farming/botting guides.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152581.html?q=wow

Shining1
12-06-2006, 14:46:12
30 000 accounts banned for gold selling/cheating, tho.

Personally I've never seen a bot in action.

MDA
12-06-2006, 14:56:38
I've seen two working the same farm in WPL, other than that, no.

HelloKitty
12-06-2006, 16:54:55
Originally posted by Shining1

Yeah we were disscussing that on the FG and FOH forums.

That 30k number is for NA alone and for last month.

I really think thats bullshit. There is no way that they banned 2% of their customers in one month alone

Not only is that half a million in revenue from sales each month they tossed out, its something like 200 bots per server they banned over 30 days. Plus prices for buying gold have not changed at all, meaning ether the supply is the same, or that the loss of 30k accounts is such a tiny fraction of the bot farmers that it doesn't hurt the bot business.

And this is not the first time blizzard has announced the 30k number either.

I think the interesting thing will be to see the quarterly reports for vivendi/blizzard stockholders that people like the MMORPGstats guy follow and see if there is any evidence of this.

Either blizzard is lying and trying to placate complainers, or they are going to piss off their stockholders and the game is so full of farmers that 2% of the players are nothing.

And this is just claimed or ONE MONTH. If they are so vigilent are they bannind 20+% of their players each year?

Mightytree
12-06-2006, 17:13:15

I mainly play during US off-hours, so I definitely used to see a lot of bots people have running around when they're sleeping / at work. It's really only a problem on PVE servers though, since on PVP servers bots are basically free honor. I play on a PVP server 95% of the time and I've never seen a bot there.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-06-2006, 23:47:46

Come to US-Uldaman! We would appear to be bot central. Just check the forum for it - every day new videos are posted of Bots In Action.

It's 4 weeks old and I've seen at least 5 so far, and also one odd combination of what appears to be a human controlled toon with another apparently on auto follow: that is, until they attack something. Both hunters, the commands are duplicated exactly on the primary and secondary character. The guy running it claims it's his girlfriend and she has good reflexes... Yeah right, buddy, pull the other one... :hmm:

HelloKitty
13-06-2006, 00:47:24
HAs it gotten that bad? I see ocmplaints lal the time but still. Maybe I am wrong and 10% of the players are just farmers.

Thats just sick if true.

Shining1
13-06-2006, 12:15:57
And this is just claimed or ONE MONTH. If they are so vigilent are they bannind 20+% of their players each year?

Er. Gold Farmers just buy a new account straight away. It takes approximately a week to get a new account into the farming zones, at the very very most. (Gods, I really can't speculate on how fast a twink Hunter could theoretically hit 60...)

The only way it would show up on Blizzard's balance sheet is as a profit, since they're constantly selling new units to the players they ban - as well you, I, and FoH know. Try any server anywhere, there is NEVER a shortage of badly geared Hunters around level 30-50 in the leveling zones.

Moreover, banning farmers isn't a 'one offense per month' thing. I'm sure a lot of people are running 5-6 accounts simultaineously, and probably lose one a week. So your ten percent estimate is, kinda, hilarious. I mean, what, are we all just selling gold to each other or something?

Btw, say Hi to Hobb and Rodion for me. =)

Shining1
13-06-2006, 12:19:15
Originally posted by Mightytree
I mainly play during US off-hours, so I definitely used to see a lot of bots people have running around when they're sleeping / at work. It's really only a problem on PVE servers though, since on PVP servers bots are basically free honor. I play on a PVP server 95% of the time and I've never seen a bot there.

I know I fear the day the farmers learn to /wave at me. =)

(BTW, yes, I'm a PvP server now, after the transfers to Black Dragonflight. That place is simply awesome.)

HelloKitty
13-06-2006, 19:53:15
Er. Gold Farmers just buy a new account straight away. It takes approximately a week to get a new account into the farming zones, at the very very most. (Gods, I really can't speculate on how fast a twink Hunter could theoretically hit 60...)

The only way it would show up on Blizzard's balance sheet is as a profit, since they're constantly selling new units to the players they ban - as well you, I, and FoH know. Try any server anywhere, there is NEVER a shortage of badly geared Hunters around level 30-50 in the leveling zones.

Moreover, banning farmers isn't a 'one offense per month' thing. I'm sure a lot of people are running 5-6 accounts simultaineously, and probably lose one a week. So your ten percent estimate is, kinda, hilarious. I mean, what, are we all just selling gold to each other or something?

Btw, say Hi to Hobb and Rodion for me. =)

What?

Because they are running 5-6 accounts and starting a new one each week the 10% is hilarious?

Explain that a little more to me.

I said, if they have so many accounts that banning 30k of them doesn't effect them at all, they must have shitloads more.

Those 30k accounts are 2% of the total active accounts in NA.

You say that each of them have at least 5-6 active accounts. Meaning that they would have (2*5) 10% of the active accounts.

Or are you saying that the 10% number is small?

Are you trying to say that all 30k of those accounts are from the same group of players being banned 5 or 6 times a month?

If so then that still means they must have a shitload more accounts with money and items stored on them that are not banned.

Anyway, please explain what you are saying, we know that bots > 2% of the playerbase (accounts). What do you think its at. I don't play so I just get to hear about it.

HelloKitty
13-06-2006, 19:58:01
Oh, and who are Hobb and Rodion?

I did a board search and rodion is a FOH member, but Hobb has never posted, and I rodion has only poisted 8 times.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/members/rodion.html

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/members/hobb.html

Shining1
13-06-2006, 22:32:52
Playerbase =/= Accounts

Many players run multiple accounts. The comment "If they are so vigilent are they bannind 20+% of their players each year?" is what I'm taking issue with. The total number of players affected by the bannings is very marginal.

Like all good MMO arguements, it's a case of semantics. =p

If so then that still means they must have a shitload more accounts with money and items stored on them that are not banned.

Indubiably. The gold removals might have helped a little, but the issue is still probably the most serious thing in the game at the moment.

(Although I'm not sure that gold farmers store items as such. If they find something, it goes on the auction house pretty quickly. You can tell farmers easily, they're the level 60 Hunters and Rogues with severely subpar items camping the money areas.)

Hobb and Rodion are FoH WoW players on BDF.

HelloKitty
13-06-2006, 22:47:07
Ah. I was never in FOH. I was in one fo the guilds that is listed in the suck off other guilds forum LOS.

And ok, accounts, not playerbase. :rolleyes:

So 10% of their accounts int he US are farming bots?

Shining1
13-06-2006, 23:15:38
Eh, no clue.

With the turnover I theorised, it becomes possible that the number of banned accounts a farmer has exceeds their number of active accounts - easily, over a longer peroid of timer. At the most, at one account banned per farmer, 30000 is 0.75% of the oft-quoted 4 million accounts.

I would be surprised if the number of RangRangs on any server was more than a few percent (2-5).

Gold prices not changing doesn't surprise me - banned accounts are certainly accounted for already in the 'setup' costs for a farm. The gold removal bit is what intrigues me. I've not actually seen someone downgraded from an epic to a normal mount ever, it would be hilarious. =)

HelloKitty
13-06-2006, 23:28:21
The removal means those accounts had that much money on them.

The only company that has actually gone and deleted money that has moved into the market was SOE in SWG after a duping exploit.

The result was not that well recieved since SWG tracked every credit as an item, so they could ban every credit made from this dupe, regardless of who currently had it, and they banned every credit. Lots of players logged on to find their bank accounts drasticly changed.

Witha 100% player economy like that, there were some people not too happy.

No one has done that since, at least not past one step deletion (i.e. deleting bought money that was transfered).

Shining1
14-06-2006, 05:24:04
Ah, a pity that.

I mention epic mounts simply because it's one relatively easy thing to check out. The mount is soulbound once used, and I'm sure there are an awful lot of people who would never even have considered buying gold online who got to level 60 and found they needed 900G, pronto. (PvP servers especially - the mount provides a 40% speed boost over a regular mount, which is easily the difference between getting away or being chased down and killed.)