PDA

View Full Version : Gigs you've been to/are going to?

Mr. Bas
31-05-2006, 09:26:33
I remember we had a thread like this somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so here's a restart.

On the bad side, unfortunately I missed out on a Mudhoney show and a Jesu show, both a few weeks ago. I'm not really familiar with Jesu, but Mudhoney is definitely a band I would have loved to see. They sold out really quickly though. :(

I did go to a festival in Zwolle with a number of really nice acts, mostly Dutch ones though. Especially Pete Philly & Perquisite (excellent laid-back hiphop), Opgezwolle (less laid-back hiphop, but still excellent) and Spinvis (odd singer-songwriter) were great live, but festivals always rule with nice weather and reasonably cheap beer available. Even the mediocre bands, and there were several, are quite bearable if you're just lying in the grass with a beer in your hand. :beer:

Finally, I went to see Therapy? again a few days ago. Great show again, they did a number of oldies that sounded fantastic live (Neck freak, accelerator, femtex) and the new songs held up well compared with the older material. Ofcourse, there were lots of songs from the last album and the standard fare from around the troublegum era, and they totally ignored Semi-detached up to Shameless. Their sound doesn't really seem to evolve anymore, but live Therapy? is still well worth seeing.

paiktis22
31-05-2006, 10:03:25
Recently saw New Model Army which were ok. The Fuzztones never came :( :(
Also a discovery was a greek band Diafana Krina (transparent lilles? - sounds very gay in english) which have that joy division vibe mixed with more speed /distortion guitars. depeche mode, nick cave and pearl jam are coming but i'm not a huge fun of any of them (maybe nick cave a little bit). also franz ferdinand and dandy warhols. for the latter i can say that the previous concert i went to was an all out party and i greatly enjoyed it so i'll go to that. Therapy? Live is always good. But they seem to come to these parts every 10 years. Next time I'll see them I'll probably have kids :(

Mr. Bas
31-05-2006, 10:08:18
Hmm, therapy? seem to visit Groningen every year these days. They were here on the previous two tours as well. Now, Pearl Jam is a band I'd like to see live. Unfortunately, they're playing a stadium where the sound is usually truly awful, but still I might give it a try.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-05-2006, 10:25:13
Saw Zion Train do an awesome live brass and MC set on Saturday. Really, really good. Ribcage rattling basslines.

King_Ghidra
31-05-2006, 12:13:32
I went to see The Zutons last night at Reading Hexagon. my gf is a big fan and she booked the tickets and made me go with her. However as it turns out they were excellent, very lively and up for it, and made a good atmosphere with the crowd.

A secondary bonus was the support act, The Grates. They were excellent, very quirky (the australian girl who was lead singer was like a cross between a cheerleader and a kangaroo, and the girl drumming was like harriet harman on amphetamine), with kind of a breeders/sleater kinney/kills type sound.

my ears are ringing today though

Kitsuki
31-05-2006, 12:31:46
The Zutons are really good live, far better than when you hear them from CD etc.

BigGameHunter
02-06-2006, 13:19:57
Going to see these two tomorrow:

http://www.myspace.com/wowandfluttertheband

http://myspace.com/theconductorpdx

Two great tastes, taste great together.

devilmunchkin
12-06-2006, 22:39:22
does the San Francisco Symphony count? i want to go this fall when i move up in the area..

Eklektikos
12-06-2006, 23:52:44
Should be going to see this on Sunday:

http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?id=4299

Oerdin
13-06-2006, 03:43:21
I went to X-fest XII (a local music festival) last Saturday evening where I saw The Cult, Dashboard Confessional, Franz Ferdinand, Panic! at the Disco, Echo & the Bunnymen, She Wants Revenge, Hard-Fi, The Sounds, Reeve Oliver, The Stranger's Six, and OK Go. To my surprise Panic! at the Disco was by far the best show on the stage that night.

I thought I'd like Franz Ferdinand the most but they seemed to just be going through the motions instead of really getting into their music, She Wants Revenge was actually pretty good, but Panic! at the Disco went way out of their way to include various actors/esses on the stage, lots of extra lights and pyrotechnics. They were by far the best. Anyone else seen Panic! at the Disco live or know of another band which just totally put on an awesome live show?

The event organizers sure did know how to rip people off with $9 24oz Coors Lites though. At least parking was free.

Mr. Bas
13-06-2006, 09:11:03
I'm off to see Tool in two weeks time. I've only seen them play on festivals so far, but apparently their 'normal' gigs should be even better. I've been a bit underwhelmed by their last album, but Tool is still the only active band I could be this excited about seeing live. I can't wait! :beer:

paiktis22
15-06-2006, 00:08:44
Originally posted by Oerdin
The Cult

Does this band still exists?
I remember seeing them in 1990 was it, in a marathon concert that also included metallica etc. The singer of the Cult (ian something) was extraordinary. Wasted but full of energy he was actually taking requests from people and played all the hits that the crowd wanted giving a hell of a performance! that was actually my second concert ever, after the ramones, and it was at that one that the riot police out of the blue started attacking people who were waiting outside the stadium to get in including me and my friends. I distinctively remember running like hell with a cop on our tail, seeing the club being raised from the corner of my eye, bracing myself for the hit and then hearing the sound of pain from my friend who was running next to me (presumably his long hair made him a more appealing target :rolleyes: ). ah good times :D

Mr. Bas
18-07-2006, 11:40:09
Motherfucker.

First, I read today that the mighty Isis played in Amsterdam yesterday. I definitely would've gone there if only I knew about it beforehand. :bash:

Second, the same Isis are responsible for what's possibly the best touring combo I could think of: they're going to tour with Tool this autumn. Problem is, they're only touring the US. :bash: :bash:

Let's hope they're going to hit Europe again in the near future. At least there's a good chance that they'll play in Groningen again sometime.

paiktis22
28-07-2006, 20:52:28
Depechhhhe mode and the raveonettes. Yes yes yes yes. Maybe with a girl or maybe with a friend. Either way great! Things get damaged things get broken. On Tuesday. :beer:

Oerdin
01-08-2006, 23:52:30
I saw Depeche Mode a few years back and the Raveonettes about a year ago. Well worth the money for both of them.

This weekend I will be going HERE (http://www.street-scene.com/06/lineup.html). The line up looks decent but not as good as last year; I'm also pissed that Street Scene will be held in the football stadium instead on the streets of downtown like it has been for the last 30 years. The best part was getting shit faced on the patio of your favorite bar while watching the bands play but now it will be crappy $8 coors lights in a crappy stadium.

Mr. Bas
02-08-2006, 09:20:36
I think the line-up is awesome, but then there are a few personal favourites listed. Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, Bad Religion and Bloc Party are all great. Actually, looking through the list again, I'm not really blown away by many of the other names, but it still looks good.

I will be going to Lowlands (http://lowlands.nl/) in a few weeks. Decent line-up, not many bands I'm really thrilled to see, but it should be quite fun. Lots of :beer: and :smoke: should do the trick.

paiktis22
02-08-2006, 14:10:05
An account of the concert. There was Shiller too and they were awesome. I can feel myself drifting slowly to this kind of music from rock. Then came Raveonettes. A massive let down. No pulse, no vibe, no passion, horrible sound they even screwed up Love in a Trashcan. Attack of the ghost riders was a tiny bit better probably because this kind of song is too difficult to kill. I thus classify the raveonettes as third class. Good for CDs. That's it.

Depeche Mode came in a completely lunatic mode the responce of the crowd was breathtaking. I'm not an avide fan of the band but I didn't know they had such a massive following in Greece. They were good but the circumstances of the show were very negative. The scene should have been higher up. With 25.000 people in the middle of nowhere they should have done a better job, either lower the ground or put the stage higher.
There were some songs though that were pure magic. The band was 100% there and the sound was terrific. Probably one of the best sounds I've ever witnessed.
I don't know if I'll go to Pearl Jam, Nick Cave or Placebo next. There are not a whole basket of options.
BTW I shudder to think what must hapen when metal bands play at terravibe aaaaaaaaaaaaa
The lowlands page just loaded and i can safely say that i HATE YOU Mr. Bas :mad: :lol: :beer:

Oerdin
04-08-2006, 09:01:36
Best of all I have talked Jennie the really cute Italian girl into going with me to the concert tomorrow. Jennie happens to be a nurse and I must confess I am secretly hoping she wears her nurse's outfit tomorrow.

:bounce:

paiktis22
04-08-2006, 13:49:54
I don't wanna be a pinhead NOMORE I just met a nurse that I could go for!

Your luuuuv is like baad medecine bad medecine is what i need

ok i stop. good luck :D

Funko
04-08-2006, 16:10:58
Pete and the Pirates on Wednesday were absolutely excellent.

Walrus Feeder
04-08-2006, 17:05:05
Anyone in the Manchester area of England needs to check out the dpercussion festival held in the Castlefield area of the city. Free outdoor festival featuring 60 bands, 85 DJs over 8 stages.

www.dpercussion.com

Walrus Feeder
28-08-2006, 10:40:45
Reading Festival: Saturday 2006.

Have been many times before, and over the last year or two keep saying this will be the last time i bother going. Might be right this time though!

Not a massive die-hard fan of any of the bands playing, but enough of them likeable enough. Never got to see much in the tents as they all seemed packed this year, as did the festival in general. After enduring Flogging Molly (organisers always include some annoying Irish or Irish sounding band with violins) Wolfmother were good, if a little quiet. Dirty Pretty Things, Arctic Monkeys and Muse were all enjoyable but Feeder were dismal and tiresome. They seemed to attract the most irritating crowd of the day too, with people in the 40's & 50's bringing their kids along to cheer along. One moment saw a woman complaining to the teenage girl infront of her to get down off her boyfriends shoulders because she couldn't see! What is happening to the crowd at Reading??!! Glad i didn't bother with Sunday, the line up on the main stage looked appalling!

Funko
29-08-2006, 08:48:38
They sold an extra 15,000 tickets a day or so this year.

I didn't go, first one I've missed since 1997, but can't say I was really that bothered.

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-08-2006, 13:42:48
I think I'll be going to this one-

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS 2006

IGGY & THE STOOGES
SONIC YOUTH
BARDO POND
SIX ORGANS OF ADMITTANCE
JACKIE-O MOTHERFUCKER
CHARALAMBIDES
MY CAT IS AN ALIEN
THE SKATERS
MELVINS
MAGIK MARKERS
ALEXANDER TUCKER
DEERHOOF
WOODEN WAND
SUNBURNED HAND OF THE MAN
RICHARD YOUNGS
WOLF EYES
NEGATIVE APPROACH
DEAD C
MONOTRACT
PRURIENT
AWESOME COLOR
DKT MC5 FEATURING MARK ARM
DINOSAUR JR
GANG OF FOUR
BE YOUR OWN PET
NURSE WITH WOUND
AARON DILLOWAY
MAJOR STARS
MOUTHUS
BLOOD STEREO
DOUBLE LEOPARDS
LAMBSBREAD
NO NECK BLUES BAND
HIVE MIND
LESLIE KEFFER
NOTEKILLERS
DEAD MACHINES
FAMILY UNDERGROUND
FURSAXA
WHITE OUT W/ NELS CLINE
PETER BROTZMANN AND HAN BENNINK
FLIPPER
MV / EE + THE BUMMER ROAD
HAIR POLICE
16 BITCH PILE UP
BARK HAZE (THURSTON MOORE, GOWN & PETE NOLAN)
TAURPIS TULA

It's at Minehead (Somerset) on the 8th-10th December

Eklektikos
29-08-2006, 13:44:51
I was pondering going to that as well, if I can scrape the cash together and convince a few other people that they also think it's a good idea.

So probably not happening.

Mr. Bas
29-08-2006, 14:48:56
Looks like a great line-up.

MOBIUS
30-08-2006, 14:01:13
I was at the Rolling Stones at the Millennium Stadium last night and they were amazing! Or it might be that Madonna was execrable only a few weeks earlier...

Either way, these guys would have put a bunch of young guys to shame. Right at the end of the set Mick did his skippy-joggy thing the length of the stadium from the stage down a track to the other side and back again - I'd have been knackered just doing that!

They really played the crowd and were true showmen, especially with the moving stage meaning no matter where you were you ended up close to them.

And to think I saw them in 1990 at Wembley cos I was worried they were going to retire!

Foetus
10-09-2006, 20:49:36
I'm going to see Senser on Wednesday .. provided the Jinxboy effect doesn't come into play yet again.

self biased
11-09-2006, 02:37:34
i'm going to see Gwar october twentieth.

Eklektikos
11-09-2006, 10:51:50
Seeing the Orb on the 21st of this month, and might go and see SunnO))) on the 13th of next.

Mr. Bas
11-09-2006, 12:38:46
I saw SunnO))) a couple of months ago, they were impressively heavy (and slow obviously). I can't say it's really my kind of music, but it was definitely worth the experience.

Caligastia
13-09-2006, 19:56:25
I'm going to see Tool next month. Yaay!

Foetus
16-09-2006, 00:35:56
Just to let you know that senser were fucking ace.

It was an intimate gig of 200 or so and they were phenomenally good. This is coming from someone who part liked their first release and then didn't listen to them for 10+ years whilst they split up and reformed. If you get the chance and like them or the whole fusion scene they belong to then, truly, don't miss them.

Did I mention they were fucking ace? My ears are stilll ringing and my triceps still aching from the rucking ... three days later

If you've never heard of them and like RATM, prodigy, etc., check them out, and understand that they are tenfold better live.

I'm telling you. Fucking ace.

Funko
18-09-2006, 07:54:11
I saw them last year or the year before, after a similar gap and thought the same.

JM^3
18-09-2006, 07:59:36
RATM = Rage Against the Machine? I like them.

Jon Miller

Mr. Bas
27-11-2006, 14:56:29
Saw the Thermals last friday, they were ace live. Their newer material sounded a bit slower than usual, but the new songs worked fine live. They also played most of Fuckin' A, great stuff. :beer:

More gigs coming up this week. I'm definitely going to see the Twilight Singers this wednesday, including Mark Lanegan, and I'm thinking about seeing God Dethroned this friday.