PDA

View Full Version : Union Rep?

Greg W
29-05-2006, 11:09:24
Got asked by one of the Union Reps at work today if I wanted to go on the relief roster for the Union at work. Basically, maybe one day a month, I'd be the Union rep at work for the day, with a long term view to more work and responsibilities if I wanted them/as the positions became available. Plus of course being involved in miscellaneous Union duties, going on courses to learn Union stuff (I think they mean teaching me strong arm tactics), etc, etc.

Brief bit of background. My job's a State Government job, and still highly Unionised - and in fact the Satte Government recently legislated to make us, Train drivers, Nurses and Cops "employees of the crown" and thus ensuring that while most other unions will probably crumble under new Federal workplace reforms, we'll still remain strong. There's one elected Union rep, and three "relief" positions (waiting for the wisecracks on that one) at my depot, and a heap of others at the other depots (there's about a dozen depots in Sydney).

Told 'em I'd think about it. Kind of in two minds as to whether I want to or not. I do want to move on in the job, but whether being a part of the union is the way I want to go or not, I am not sure.

:clueless:

paiktis22
29-05-2006, 11:22:14
if it's anything like here, it's definitely the way to go... especially in the public sector

Scabrous Birdseed
29-05-2006, 11:31:17
Yeah, it'll get you loads of contacts. Unless you're American, in which case it'll get you fired uncermoniously.

MoSe
29-05-2006, 11:35:22
will that hinder your "career chances" (if any?????) marking you as a potential troublemaker in your employer's eyes? (do you care?)

do you really believe in the need to engage somehow with the Unions?

isn't there really any other way to prop up the meaning of your boring life? ;) :p

paiktis22
29-05-2006, 11:37:58
it can score you points with the ladies too. you stand up and talk about the problems of your sector and crap like that... it's good

paiktis22
29-05-2006, 11:41:40
of course you'll need to learn few mottos. here are some basically translated. :D

1. Law is the Right (benefit/point of view) of the Worker
2. People United Never Defeated
3. Struggle, continous Struggle is the answer to the minister of (insert appropriate minister who wants to change things)
(all these rhyme in greek so it's better if you can get them to rhyme, more impact)
4. Come on People don't bow your head, Resistance is once again the answer!
that's all i can think of for now :D they got me hot for some reason.

shagnasty
29-05-2006, 15:36:38
"Solidarity brothers and sisters."

The Norks
29-05-2006, 18:01:31
I think you should do it, you'd be a good rep, you like helping people, and I think you'd enjoy it. :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-05-2006, 18:11:16
There are a few ex- (and possibly current) union reps on this site. I'm all in favour of it.

If you want to help your workmates out, it's a great opportunity to do so.

jsorense
29-05-2006, 18:43:16
I was the treasurer to a United Steelworkers local once. Because I was a union officer they couldn't lay me off.:bounce:
Go for it Greg.

Darkstar
31-05-2006, 00:08:34
Sounds like a good opportunity.

DaShi
31-05-2006, 01:11:28
They're digging up Hoffa's body and this occurs. Coincidence?

Greg W
31-05-2006, 02:31:44
Originally posted by paiktis22
it can score you points with the ladies too.Have you ever actually seen any of the female bus drivers? In Sydney in particular?

Spartak@CPH
31-05-2006, 07:19:25
I would do it if I were you. But then I would say that.

(ex rep)