PDA

View Full Version : You could be a victim of counterfeiting!

Nills Lagerbaak
26-05-2006, 13:45:17
Right, the other day I installed one of the windows patches (like one does).

Next thing I know is I'm getting a message telling me my copy of windows is not ligit!

I thought they weren't allowed to install things that can probe your software like that. Is it also sending information to someone??

Anyway, the copy of XP I got came with my machine as far as I know.

Someone is sending me a program to sort it out, but this is clearly a new level of sophistication from MS.

Funko
26-05-2006, 13:46:25
What's the actual message?

Nills Lagerbaak
26-05-2006, 13:53:47
Well, when I log on it says "This copy of windows is not genuine" then a choice of "Resolve Now" or "Resolve Later" (which seems to wait 5 seconds before I can click it.

once I'm logged on I regularly get a baloon in the bottom right telling me I'm using a fake copy of XP.

Venom
26-05-2006, 14:15:04
Microsoft has added this Genuinue Windows check to Windows Update. You have to verify your software before installing the updates. Not sure exactly what they're checking and how they determine a fake, but is pisses me off.

Gary
26-05-2006, 14:20:21
Tsk, you should get on eBay and buy yourself a genuine rip off.

Nills Lagerbaak
26-05-2006, 14:20:42
Yeah, I wish they had bloody warned me. Just goes to show people - don't blindly install MS updates, they could be bad for your system (esp. if you system is dodgy!)

Sir Penguin
26-05-2006, 16:05:43
I don't think that warning you that your Operating System was installed illegally counts as "bad for your system."

It doesn't disable the system, you just can't update it.

SP

Darkstar
26-05-2006, 20:36:14
That's not quite true, SP.

You can update your system. Microsoft will let even "pirate" copies update with security patches. It just won't let you update your windows media player, or update to the newest version of IE, or ... well, you see the difference?

Microsoft has for the past few years pushed out new "Windows Genuine" checks/patches. The serious pirates will have this latest WG patch hacked already. Common pirate may be able to figue it out (took the average pirate 2 hours by Microsoft's Independant Security Auditor studies last time).

The Windows Genuine isn't actually aimed at Americans or Europeans. It's aimed at Asians, who don't know that they bought a pirated copy. Microsoft has various programs to sell them very cheap licenses. Exact prices haven't been revealed to the public, but it ranges from $22 to $120 depending on location from what I've read.

Christoph
28-05-2006, 13:15:04
Easy way to get rid of Windows Genuine Advantage: if you haven't got it installed already, switch off Automatic updates. I'm on SP1, and it hasn't come up with anything yet.

There are loads of patches to get rid of WGA, so if you have it installed don't worry.

Christoph
28-05-2006, 13:19:18
Found this with a quick google

Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage Cracked!
This week, Microsoft started requiring users to verifiy their serial number before using Windows Update. This effort to force users to either buy XP or tell them where you got the illegal copy is called "Windows Genuine Advantage" AKA "WGA",Examples of popular applications covered under the Genuine Advantage program include Windows Media Player, DirectX for gaming and the new Windows anti-spyware products.
Instructions:

Before pressing 'Custom' or 'Express' buttons paste this text to the address bar and press enter:

javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

It turns off the trigger for the key check.

Sir Penguin
28-05-2006, 15:04:37
That one doesn't work any more.

SP

Christoph
29-05-2006, 09:34:00
Meh, I didn't install it anyway :D

Venom
30-05-2006, 12:49:19
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
That one doesn't work any more.

SP

What one does?

Gary
30-05-2006, 15:02:32
The, pay M$ lots of $$$ one ?

Sir Penguin
30-05-2006, 16:01:45
Yup.

SP

Venom
30-05-2006, 20:36:32
I don't like that one. But it beats the pay Apple any money option.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-05-2006, 11:42:32
I have found a programme that will re-assign a "ligitemate" key number to your copy of windows (one that MS hasn't discovered has been used twice or more). These key numbers will eventually be found out by MS, but I'll let you know what happens...

Sir Penguin
31-05-2006, 16:04:29
You could run Linux. :cute:

SP