PDA

View Full Version : Job interview

Beta1
24-05-2006, 15:26:20
Just found out I have a job interview on friday - which was going to be my last day at my current school.

Also means i will have to drive to birmingham and back twice in 3 days...

mr_G
24-05-2006, 15:27:49
that have you again!!!

Tizzy
24-05-2006, 15:30:42
Good luck :beer:

Cruddy
24-05-2006, 18:57:31
Let's hope you don't get it. You might drive to Birmingham and never leave.

Even though the place has improved enormously, I'll stick with the crime capital of the UK.

Asher
24-05-2006, 19:04:35
Had a job interview this morning. Walked out of it early because their job ad was misleading and I've no interest at all in web development (CSS, PHP, etc).

Darkstar
24-05-2006, 21:41:52
Good luck, Beta!

Beta1
24-05-2006, 21:49:46
got to teach a 20min revision lesson on either cells, digestion or the nervous system. Think I'll go for the nervous system simply because its new material. The kids learn the parts of a cell practically every year so they get bored of it. The nervous system only really comes up in any detail in the year group they want me to teach.

Asher - it pisses me off when that happens. A few friends of mine have gone for jobs offering 11-18 teaching only to find theres no chance of them getting A level classes leaving them with timetables that are mostly the lower years.

Darkstar
24-05-2006, 22:05:11
Ash, you should always finish your interviews. The reason is that if you just get up and leave, you'll more likely leave an impression of someone that is a total ass hole. Coding is really small world, especially if you are competent, so you have decent odds of bumping into those people again at some time in your future. You'll want them to not remember you as an total ass hole, because they'll pass over you for someone else.

Now, for a job that isn't what is advertised, if you just tell the interviews nicely that it was presented to you as something else, and that at this time you don't have interest in working in that particular field, then you guys can cut the interview short on mutually good terms, and that leaves a positive impression. Next time around, that could help you get a position with them, wherever they've moved to, or get you on their team doing something more interesting.

Asher
24-05-2006, 22:09:15
I've already got a job offer I'm sitting on back east with IBM, I'm toying with interviews to see if I can land something better out west (the pay in Calgary right now is way better than anything in Ontario, due to the oil boom).

Once they started asking me repeated questions about CSS and Javascript I asked them to clarify what this job was for. "Developer position" they replied. I smiled and informed them I was really only interested in more back-end programming, not web design stuff. I said I wouldn't waste any more time, thanked them for their interest, and left so I could make class still.

Asher
24-05-2006, 22:10:58
That may make me come off a bit of an asshole, but I drove downtown for this interview and wasted my time because they were misleading in their job posting and prior telephone interview. That really pisses me off, and I'm not going to waste more of my time on it (and miss some class) if it's not what I applied for.

Cruddy
24-05-2006, 22:16:58
Nah. I don't think you were an asshole. If they're going to try and screw you at the interview, what's it going to be like actually working with the bastards?

Darkstar
24-05-2006, 22:19:17
Doesn't matter. They won't remember that they were jerking you around, just you being an ass to them. When you are interviewing, you are supposed to be the beggar (unless they are paying you your travel, expenses, and interview fees). Be good, be confident, and be polite.

People in programming move a lot, and change specialities often. So you'll end up bumping into the a lot of the same people, in the career. As well as the same support personel (HR, managers, lawyers, accountants, etc). So always be a good interviewee and on your best, confident, behavior when on that side of the table. That is the best way to set yourself up for when they have something you want (ie, an interesting job), or you need to work with them in the future.

Asher
24-05-2006, 22:21:13
I refuse to be the "beggar", especially to a bunch of twits. I felt stupid for being there and wasting my time, and I do not appreciate that.

If this person is part of a company in the future, I would not want to work for them on principle.

Cruddy
24-05-2006, 22:22:49
"The meek shall inherit the earth". If you're meek, you get buried.

Sod that. I work with people I can get on with or I don't work.

If I don't get on with the people at the start, what is the point of continuing? Only leads to unhappiness later.

"Killing yourself to live" comes to mind as well.

I'm happy to be the supplicant if I can respect the interviewer. No respect from them, no respect from me.

Darkstar
24-05-2006, 22:29:24
Remember you said that. He's liable to not only be waiting on your ass back East, but ends up your boss. Or the guy sucking your boss off at lunch. Or gets added in just a few months behind you in a position you have to deal with regularly. I've seen it happen too many times.

Twits are everywhere. You have to deal with them.

Interviews often make you feel like you shouldn't be there, that they are wasting your time. Hell, that's part of the impression of most interview processes, even when they are desperate to hire you (due to prior work relationships and knowledge), and you are the perfect fit for their company. Very few people understand how to give an informative interview. Even people who aren't twits. You'll eventually meet a few twits during an interview but find out they are kick ass bosses and great workers. A very common problem in all fields.

Cruddy
24-05-2006, 22:38:01
Yeah, scum always rises to the top.

Not my kind of people.

Asher
24-05-2006, 23:51:45
Originally posted by Darkstar
Remember you said that. He's liable to not only be waiting on your ass back East, but ends up your boss.
If he ends up as my boss, I'd deal with it then or tender my resignation -- as appropriate. I don't really care.

I don't have kids to support. I'll work on my terms. :bouncmsk:

Funko
25-05-2006, 09:18:57
Interviews are for me to find out if I want to work somewhere as much as for them to find out about me. It's not about begging for a job it's about working out whether you and the company are good fits.

Depending on how he phrased it I don't think Asher was rude even, he's only wasting their time as well as his own if it's not a suitable position.

mr_G
25-05-2006, 09:22:45
I agree with Funko and Asher.

Darkstar
25-05-2006, 21:13:28
Funko, that's what I use the first 6 weeks for. Interviews rarely give you a good glimpse into a place, and whether its the sort of place you want to work. If they don't completely suck the first 6 weeks, I'll then let it roll over until about 3 months. By then, I know if I would want to stick around for a few years, or cruise on at the end of my contract. I've never worked a programming contract that didn't end with me getting offered a permanent placement with the company.

Now, when you are interviewing, you shouldn't have taken an appointment with places that aren't already of some interest to you, unless you need to beg for money. In which case you are going to take what first gets offered, most of the time.

KrazyHorse@home
26-05-2006, 00:14:02
I agree with Mr. G

:(

Marraskuu
26-05-2006, 01:42:07
What type of lowly job are you looking for if you consider yourself a beggar?

Immortal Wombat
26-05-2006, 02:08:58
Big Issue seller?

Beta1
26-05-2006, 20:04:24
I got it!

Didnt get quite as much cash as I wanted but its such a good job I don't really care - the fact that its out of london will mean a massive effective payrise anyway + with fixed payrises in the payscheme I will get what I wanted this time next year anyway.

Interview was easy - I had to teach what they described as their "tricky" year 10 set. Where I am now "tricky" means "likely to try and kill each other". At this school "tricky" means "likley to chat a bit but stop talking and apologise when asked".

Also with the school structure I think I could get extra responsibilities (and therefore cash) within a few years.

Ginfizwithatwist
26-05-2006, 20:08:18
yaay, brilliant, well done ! muchos beeros to celebrate!
:bounce: :beer:

Darkstar
26-05-2006, 21:40:16
Way to go, Beta1! :beer:

Funko
30-05-2006, 08:36:11
Good work. :beer:

mr_G
30-05-2006, 08:39:53
w00000t :bounce:

Tizzy
30-05-2006, 08:40:58
Woo! :beer:

Mr. Bas
30-05-2006, 08:41:07
Well done, beta! :beer:

Resource Consumer
30-05-2006, 10:06:12
Congrats Beta1

Gary
30-05-2006, 10:10:02
http://www.counterglow.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

zmama
30-05-2006, 10:31:50
Sounds like a good job.
Congratulations! :beer:

Beta1
30-05-2006, 11:18:10
cheers guys. Now I just have a 3 month holiday to look forward too. :)

Luckily I've budgeted for it so I can kick back and chill all summer....

mr_G
30-05-2006, 11:23:15
relax!!!

Nav
30-05-2006, 11:41:06
:beer: congratulations!

Be sure to arrange a leaving :beer: night before you head off up north!

Oerdin
30-05-2006, 14:16:07
So off to Manchester for you then, eh?

Lurker the Second
30-05-2006, 14:31:00
Hey, good job. Congrats Beta!