PDA

View Full Version : DVD writer software

Gary
22-05-2006, 11:13:59
OK I've had a CD writer for some time now and it never gets used. Why ? Because the first time I got it I spend a couple of hours making beer mats out of write once disks, and decided I was too pissed off to bother with it again.

Well now my girlfriend has bought a DVD writer drive (Sony) for her PC, which I installed this Sunday, and wants to record TV programmes using her DigiTV card for her mother to watch on her HiFi DVD player. Basically a modern version of recording a video for someone.

Nightmare.

Why is it not simple ?

I was vaguely aware that one can't just move files over, that one has to 'burn' them, although I never really recall an explanation why all that fuss was necessary. But anyway ...

DigiTV seems to record fine. As a test we set up for a future timed recording of a) a radio programme, and b) a TV programme. Both worked. IIRC the radio prog was saved on the hard drive as an mpg and the TV prog as an mp2, but I can't check from here, so that's my recollection only.

Aside - can be ignored unless you want a laugh and an indication of how life is ...

The drive came with an OEM version of Nero which I installed. it said there was an upgrade, so I clicked to get it. Did it download the upgrade ? Of course not, it took me to a web page. I clicked a link I thought was correct, unexpectedly it took 40 mins to download, then I tried to install it. It hid windows it was expecting me to click, underneath already open windows, like it was some kind of laugh to have me stuck there waiting for it to finish. When found they were moaning that Nero was already installed !!! and how I needed to uninstall it first ! I oked that and the installation seemed to progress anyway, except that it was just fooling me and wasn't doing anything of the sort. After uninstalling the app I'd just installed, I rebooted, re-ran the downloaded installation again, only to find it was some kind of damn demo and not the upgrade ! It wanted serial numbers, I had to wait until it had installed, then uninstalled it again, then installed the OEM version yet again, then looked for the upgrade it was originally saying was available on the site. (It was well hidden.) Who designs these sites / applications for users ? Do they do this deliberately or are they just incompetent ?

Back to the real problem.

Having to rely on my memory as I didn't take notes but as I recall, initially we just copied and pasted the radio programme over to the DVD first. The PC drive could see the file on the DVD just fine, and play it no problem. Took out the DVD and to test it put it in my girlfriend's TV (with DVD combined). 80% of the time it wouldn't recognise the disk and just stuck there with incomprehensible symbols on the screen (which presumably were meant to be meaningful if one looked up the manual). The other 20% of the time (most often after turning off and on the TV-DVD) it recognised the disk and showed the list of files (a whole 1 of them) one could select to play. On selection it would play it, but it sounded very odd, like it was skipping every other bit of the word and so rushing through faster than was correct !

Anyone know why ? Is this a media problem ? Or something else ?

We next tried the TV programme. Nero seems to be a whole suite of applications and it really isn't obvious which one, one is supposed to use as a number of them seem to be DVD copy / create apps. But we tried one and it refused to recognise the mp2 file as a valid video file ! Tried another application but it seemed to want me to create a project (?!?!?!?!) when all I wanted was to copy the file over in a HiFi readable format. What is all this garbage ?

Used this project creation thing and hit the first of the problems. It needed almost 5 GIG !!!!!!! of space for temporary files ?!? Had to change the setting for it to use the I: drive which was the only one with that much space left. Was it happy to create a directory that didn't exist ? No of course not. Had to go out and create it first. Unbelievable.

So it starts to run finally, me having oked and typed in whatever seemed to make it happy, and it tells me it's going to take an hour and a half ! That's longer than the programme itself ! Just to copy it over !

So it's left to get on with it for the afternoon, and of course it eventually decides to tell me it's failed. No idea why. Do I want a log ? Yes. Text file almost 8 MEG large ! All full of garbage saying "The owner SID on a per-user subscription doesn't exist" line after line after line. I don't know anyone called SID and I don't care if he has a per-user subscription ! Does anyone know what the heck it's moaning about ? I've not got much hair left to tear out.

So I'm really hoping that someone can solve / explain the above ? If our best bet is to get decent software, is there a cheap alternative I can install for her that just asks what files you want available on the DVD for playing on the DVD player, and goes away and does it ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's read this far.

King_Ghidra
22-05-2006, 11:58:33
Originally posted by Gary
OK I've had a CD writer for some time now and it never gets used. Why ? Because the first time I got it I spend a couple of hours making beer mats out of write once disks, and decided I was too pissed off to bother with it again.

Well now my girlfriend has bought a DVD writer drive (Sony) for her PC, which I installed this Sunday, and wants to record TV programmes using her DigiTV card for her mother to watch on her HiFi DVD player. Basically a modern version of recording a video for someone.

Nightmare.

Why is it not simple ?

I was vaguely aware that one can't just move files over, that one has to 'burn' them, although I never really recall an explanation why all that fuss was necessary. But anyway ...

DigiTV seems to record fine. As a test we set up for a future timed recording of a) a radio programme, and b) a TV programme. Both worked. IIRC the radio prog was saved on the hard drive as an mpg and the TV prog as an mp2, but I can't check from here, so that's my recollection only.

Aside - can be ignored unless you want a laugh and an indication of how life is ...

The drive came with an OEM version of Nero which I installed. it said there was an upgrade, so I clicked to get it. Did it download the upgrade ? Of course not, it took me to a web page. I clicked a link I thought was correct, unexpectedly it took 40 mins to download, then I tried to install it. It hid windows it was expecting me to click, underneath already open windows, like it was some kind of laugh to have me stuck there waiting for it to finish. When found they were moaning that Nero was already installed !!! and how I needed to uninstall it first ! I oked that and the installation seemed to progress anyway, except that it was just fooling me and wasn't doing anything of the sort. After uninstalling the app I'd just installed, I rebooted, re-ran the downloaded installation again, only to find it was some kind of damn demo and not the upgrade ! It wanted serial numbers, I had to wait until it had installed, then uninstalled it again, then installed the OEM version yet again, then looked for the upgrade it was originally saying was available on the site. (It was well hidden.) Who designs these sites / applications for users ? Do they do this deliberately or are they just incompetent ?

Back to the real problem.

Having to rely on my memory as I didn't take notes but as I recall, initially we just copied and pasted the radio programme over to the DVD first. The PC drive could see the file on the DVD just fine, and play it no problem. Took out the DVD and to test it put it in my girlfriend's TV (with DVD combined). 80% of the time it wouldn't recognise the disk and just stuck there with incomprehensible symbols on the screen (which presumably were meant to be meaningful if one looked up the manual). The other 20% of the time (most often after turning off and on the TV-DVD) it recognised the disk and showed the list of files (a whole 1 of them) one could select to play. On selection it would play it, but it sounded very odd, like it was skipping every other bit of the word and so rushing through faster than was correct !

Anyone know why ? Is this a media problem ? Or something else ?

We next tried the TV programme. Nero seems to be a whole suite of applications and it really isn't obvious which one, one is supposed to use as a number of them seem to be DVD copy / create apps. But we tried one and it refused to recognise the mp2 file as a valid video file ! Tried another application but it seemed to want me to create a project (?!?!?!?!) when all I wanted was to copy the file over in a HiFi readable format. What is all this garbage ?

Used this project creation thing and hit the first of the problems. It needed almost 5 GIG !!!!!!! of space for temporary files ?!? Had to change the setting for it to use the I: drive which was the only one with that much space left. Was it happy to create a directory that didn't exist ? No of course not. Had to go out and create it first. Unbelievable.

So it starts to run finally, me having oked and typed in whatever seemed to make it happy, and it tells me it's going to take an hour and a half ! That's longer than the programme itself ! Just to copy it over !

So it's left to get on with it for the afternoon, and of course it eventually decides to tell me it's failed. No idea why. Do I want a log ? Yes. Text file almost 8 MEG large ! All full of garbage saying "The owner SID on a per-user subscription doesn't exist" line after line after line. I don't know anyone called SID and I don't care if he has a per-user subscription ! Does anyone know what the heck it's moaning about ? I've not got much hair left to tear out.

So I'm really hoping that someone can solve / explain the above ? If our best bet is to get decent software, is there a cheap alternative I can install for her that just asks what files you want available on the DVD for playing on the DVD player, and goes away and does it ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's read this far.

here's the real problem, your font altering is massively out of control

Venom
22-05-2006, 12:08:54
I refuse to even attempt to read this.

Scabrous Birdseed
22-05-2006, 12:15:51
So you downloaded some crappy freeware and it was full of inexplicable bugs. And you want some DVD burning software advice.

Essentially.

Immortal Wombat
22-05-2006, 14:04:28
Originally posted by Gary
Thanks in advance to anyone who's read this far. You're welcome.

Gary
22-05-2006, 14:18:46
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
So you downloaded some crappy freeware and it was full of inexplicable bugs. And you want some DVD burning software advice.

Essentially. No, as I explained in my description, I loaded the supplied software, and then upgraded it from the Net. I even detoured into the really shit experience I had doing so to show how frustrating it's all been

Knowing I was gong to write a bit to explain the situation I took considerable time on the post, even making the font larger than normal so folk wouldn't complain they found the most readable PC font, 'Times New Roman', difficult to read. Even went to the trouble of marking up the bits one might want to 'highlight' as important in bold underline.

Seriously guys, I really would appreciate it if someone could offer useful advice, rather than just mock the effort I go through when asking for help. If you don't know, if you've never made a DVD or had problems with Nero, then fine, you're in the same boat as I, sorry to have bothered you.

Nav
22-05-2006, 16:04:45
Gary. its waaay easier to read if you just posted normally. That's why 'verdana' was invented in the first place.

I can't help much, however if it's digital tv that being recorded it's a different type of MPEG to one that's played on DVD. It needs to be converted first I think from a mpeg stream to.. (frame? not sure).

Think you ought to do some research. Find out the kind of file the card saves, what format you need for dvd. Search the web, finding a dedicated video forum should help. Don't see how you expected someone on here to have all the answers for you!

Gary
22-05-2006, 16:16:08
One hopes folk with an interest in tech might include someone who happens to know.

Thanks.

Sir Penguin
22-05-2006, 20:09:09
http://www.doom9.net/

SP

Deacon
22-05-2006, 22:46:12
In random order:

I believe that MP2 is audio only, while MPG is audio + video.

There is "drag and drop" software (Roxio DirectCD, Nero InCD) for burning, but all it does is conceal the details of real burning software (Nero, Roxio suites).

Burning is necessary because CDs and DVDs use a filesystem that does not accomodate the creation of new files. To add files to a CD or DVD image, you have to re-make the image. Multisession gets around this to some degree by allowing multiple burning sessions on the same disc.

I think that Ahead.de charges for upgrades to the OEM Nero. As a consequence, I've never upgraded my Nero.

I believe that OEM Nero can author DVDs, though I use Ulead DVD MovieFactory (another bit of software that was bundled with my Lite-On drive) to author DVDs. The menus for Nero 6's "Smart Start" aren't that good, but somewhere there should be an option to use the MPG file to make a DVD movie. What's irksome is that it seems to re-encode the video even if the paramaters are set to match the captured video.

The SID is the unique identifier for each user. I'm not sure what it has to do with burning DVDs, but one thing I had to do before I could get going was to install Nero BurnRights. After that, I had to log in as the Administrator, go to the Control Panel applet for BurnRights, add myself to the list of users with burning privileges, and then log back in as the normal user. Maybe that can be avoided by simply being logged in under an Administrator account at all times.

Paper labels that work fine with CDs seem to cause problems with burned DVDs. Until I have the cash to get a label printer, I'm just going to use a Sharpie permanent marker. I guess I could go the Lightscribe route, but I like my discs cheap. Does anybody know if some kind of computerized rubber stamp exists?

Most DVD players now are MP3 capable, but only with CDs. They should also be able to play MP2, but I've never tried that.

If the audio must go on a DVD, it'll have to be accompanied by video of some kind so as not to break the DVD movie format. An easy way to do this is to make a slideshow disc. Just looking at the supported audio types for slidewhow discs in Nero, it might be necessary to convert the MP2 to WAV format. Winamp should be able to handle that with its Disk Writer output plugin.

Gary
23-05-2006, 07:26:09
Thanks for the info guys, just read through before getting off to work :)

The 2 accounts on her PC (hers and mine) both have admin rights, but I'll have to look into this burn rights stuff this weekend.
(First I have to sort out her printer that seems to have stopped being seen, ever since the installation.)

The vital thing, apart from getting it to work at all, will be simplicity. If I've always found burning CDs too much hassle, I can guarantee she won't cope unless it's straightforward. I'll see if I can get these rights things sorted on Nero first. then if that doesn't prove possible, hit the other software out there instead. :)

BigGameHunter
27-05-2006, 09:49:01
There's your problem...try getting down on the software's level, keep eye contact to a minimum and lower your voice--hitting it is not going to make the situation better!

Scabrous Birdseed
27-05-2006, 10:33:31
Burning CDs is a hassle? It takes seconds! I burn CDs dozens of times a month!

Christoph
28-05-2006, 13:08:36
Originally posted by Deacon
In random order:

I believe that MP2 is audio only, while MPG is audio + video.

MP2 is the video format of a DVD

Gary
29-05-2006, 23:11:21
Took most of Sunday but seems sorted.

Yes burning CDs proved a pain as they always came out as expensive useless beermats. Since I've now had some success on the girlfriend's PC I guess things are slightly better these days, but from the hassle getting the DVD sorted, not by much.

Fixed printer problem by restoring the last reg save. Things changed since the last one, especially from the previous weekend when the printer stopped ? Ummm Nero, and .... that's it !

Seems the big secret it to NOT start the normal Nero menu interface, as that has too many options and probably takes you down the wrong path. The path to cryptic puzzling error messages. Thing to do is start the Burning ROM app and just go for the first DVD creation option. Lord only know why it isn't the 'DVD-Video' option, but <shrug> some things one just has to accept I suppose. At least it plays on the girlfriend's HiFi DVD player. Time will tell if it will also play on her parents.

Gee what a pain in the neck.

Oh and yes, I got the mpg and mp2 the wrong way around. And Nero doesn't seem to support mp2 when putting the radio prog on CD. Had to find convertor software as well.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-05-2006, 12:48:15
Well, My nero produces playable CDs at a rate of about 99 per 100, I like the interface and the entire thing is surprisingly hassle-free.

Gary
31-05-2006, 00:20:34
Darn, the DVD wouldn't play in her parent's player. I thought one had to choose the 'Video' option too, it's just that the first option worked in hers. I guess I have to work out how to create VOB files etc., and where they go then. :(

MattHiggs
21-06-2006, 17:23:08
Bump