PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rising

King_Ghidra
22-05-2006, 11:05:44
Sounds rather good.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64878

For example, one time I found myself in a section of the mall with a population of zombies significant enough that if I wasn't careful I'd end up in trouble. I simply ran into the nearest toy shop, grabbed an inventory full of teddy bear masks, ran back out and carefully placed one of them on each zombie, blinding them, before hastily snapping off a quick picture to get a 'comedy' bonus. Have you ever seen a room full of zombies wearing teddy bear masks bumping into each other? It's priceless. But probably not as priceless as whipping out a samurai sword and cleaving the majority of them into two blood geyzering chunks. Or simply picking up pot plants and piles of CDs (a skewed Shaun of the Dead reference, perhaps?) to chuck at them.

Dead Rising is probably the first game on the 360 that's would make me go out and buy the console just to play it. It really is that good.

King_Ghidra
07-09-2006, 10:12:40
Comes out tomorrow, i think i shall pick it up.

Awesome promo video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyfc7f0Z3wU

Funko
07-09-2006, 10:13:25
Good review in the Guardian on Saturday too.

maroule
07-09-2006, 10:41:06
sounds fun but fuck, I still have king kong and far cry to play (I've hardly started them), and new stuff is coming out... not even counting PES 7 due in a month... I just don't have time (not even counting the time I waste on my PSP)

Venom
07-09-2006, 11:41:41
Hmmm, that does sound fun. Maybe I'll get this instead of Madden.

King_Ghidra
07-09-2006, 12:21:46
There's a demo on xbox live if you fancy it.

Only thing i can see against this game is possibily repetitiveness. Still everyone seems to think it's pretty awesome and i understand the game keeps rewarding you for stuff so those are good signs.

fp
07-09-2006, 12:23:33
The save system seems kind of stupid. Forcing you to only ever have one save file is such an artificial and annoying way of increasing difficulty.

King_Ghidra
07-09-2006, 12:31:22
Yeah i guess so, but i don't know if it supposed to be hard as such, i think the key is the replay value and the different stuff you can try out. So i don't think dying is such a big deal or if you really need to negotiate particularly tricky sections a la fps games.

Kitsuki
07-09-2006, 13:19:41
I like games which have fewer save points - back to the days before carebear-ism in computer gaming... :)

Venom
07-09-2006, 13:21:52
The main reason I hate save points, and I learned this from God of War, is that you have to make sure you're not going anywhere for at least 30 minutes when you're playing. God of War and save points made me late several times.

King_Ghidra
11-09-2006, 10:03:40
Bought it on friday.

Very good so far. Excellent graphics, good control and camera.

It captures the spirit of the classic zombie flicks very well. The zombies are great, wandering round pushing shopping trolleys, falling flat on their faces on the escalators, tearing innocents to pieces, etc. At night they get stronger and faster, and sometimes they travel in huge packs that seem impossible to bypass, but can normally be cleared in orgies of destruction or some creative running and jumping.

Gameplay has a kind of main storyline which involves finding out why the zombies are here, and you can choose to follow that if you like, or you can go off and do your own thing. There are also lots of side missions, which normally involve finding other survivors and rescuing them. The big enemy is time, i found it was impossible to do everthing, so first play through i am concentrating on the main storyline.

Most of the missions involve kind of boss battles against different psychos, and they are often quite hard, both in terms of actual difficulty and in terms of time limits.

Your character levels up as he completes missions and does other noteworthy actions, and you get more health, new attacks etc. Should you desire, you can quit the game at any time and start over using your levelled up character.

The save thing is not that bad actually. You get plenty of chance to save your game, and the missions don't take too long to run so even when you repeatedly lose a boss battle it's not too much of a frustration and does pose a good challenge.

There's a good sense of humour to the game too. You can do lots of quirky things like pick up traffic cones or funny masks and put them on the zombies heads, leaving them staggering around in confusion.

You can also use lots of amusing items, like glowing toy swords and frisbees, as well as the more obviously brutal and impressive weaponry like chainsaws, seldgehammers and machine guns. The attenton to detail on this aspect is amazing, every weapon has a totally different set of animations and effects on the zombies. For instance, rather than just smack a zombie with a frying pan you can heat it up to get a special attack where you press it against their face to burn them. There are lots more things like this.
[EDIT: how could i forget, at one point i used a motorised lawnmower to mow down literally dozens of zombies]

Overall, it has that GTA kind of fun quality where you can enjoy just roaming round the world trying stuff and fucking people up.