PDA

View Full Version : Roman coins


shagnasty
19-05-2006, 16:47:39
Does anybody know anything about them?
I have aquired one but unfortunatley cannot read the writing on it. There is however a very clear picture of a bird (the winged variety) standing on a mound of things, dunno what they are, and I'm also unsure as to what sort of bird it is. I think it may be a Heron.
Can somebody help please?:heart: :nervous:

Chris
19-05-2006, 16:50:38
Google image (http://images.google.com/images?q=roman+coins&hl=en)is your friend.

Look at the pictures and find a match.

Venom
19-05-2006, 16:51:33
Roman helmet.

Fistandantilus
19-05-2006, 16:52:58
Ancient rome?
They used an eagle as their symbol, maybe is that.

You could find this site useful, there are a lot of images of ancient coins.
http://dougsmith.ancients.info/index.html

Immortal Wombat
19-05-2006, 17:13:50
Animals on Roman coins (http://www.romancoins.info/Animals-On-Coins.html)

shagnasty
19-05-2006, 17:17:11
Thankies kids.

I'm pretty sure the chappie on the coin is Constantius II. All his coins though seem to have blokes getting killed on the back. I shall keep looking.

shagnasty
19-05-2006, 17:26:01
This is the fellow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantius_II)

If anyone is interested:nervous:

Gary
19-05-2006, 18:37:39
On a whim I bought some roman coins on eBay once. Never got around to cleaning them, but judging by the state of them, unsure any detail would be left if I did. Nothing like the photo in the ad but so cheap wasn't worth compaining. P&P to return them would wipe out most of any refund.

Drekkus
22-05-2006, 11:08:15
Originally posted by shagnasty
Does anybody know anything about them?
I have aquired one but unfortunatley cannot read the writing on it. There is however a very clear picture of a bird (the winged variety) standing on a mound of things, dunno what they are, and I'm also unsure as to what sort of bird it is. I think it may be a Heron.
Can somebody help please?:heart: :nervous: Do you have a special interest in old coins, or roman history?

Nav
22-05-2006, 12:04:00
No when he got paid for a recent job he didn't state that he wanted UK sterling explicitly enough.

Drekkus
22-05-2006, 12:10:45
You should be paid in euros anyway.

Greg W
22-05-2006, 12:41:43
Didn't you read the fine print? Roman coins are substitutable for Euros.

Fistandantilus
22-05-2006, 13:48:48
Originally posted by Drekkus
You should be paid in euros anyway.

Damn right. UK sterling is sooo 2002

Funko
22-05-2006, 14:04:30
A cowie was talking to me the other day about visiting Switzerland. He said "So I was changing money to go to Switzerland and I thought, 'how shit is this, you can use Euros everywhere and then you have to get some Swiss Francs as well, it's so annoying'.... but then I realised."

King_Ghidra
22-05-2006, 14:20:27
but he's right!

Gary
22-05-2006, 14:22:10
Realised how sensible they had been ?

That is so British an attitude though, all Euros should amalgamate and use the same currency for our convenience :lol:

Funko
22-05-2006, 14:29:27
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
but he's right!

Of course, he is right, that's why we should change. :beer:

jsorense
22-05-2006, 16:40:33
I bought an old coin on Ebay too. It was dated 53 BC.

Cruddy
22-05-2006, 21:03:00
Originally posted by Gary
Realised how sensible they had been ?

That is so British an attitude though, all Euros should amalgamate and use the same currency for our convenience :lol:

Weird idea. American public toilets to accept Euros.

Will make it very hard to spend a penny for most US folk.

Cruddy
22-05-2006, 22:27:05
Originally posted by jsorense
I bought an old coin on Ebay too. It was dated 53 BC.

Roman con. Not coin. :cute:

Gary
23-05-2006, 07:28:47
Trust me, I thought you meant the eBay ad dated it :D