PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that Europeans are so into American culture?

Asher
19-05-2006, 07:43:12
It's amazing to me that American TV shows are so popular overseas. We don't watch any of your shows across the pond these days.

What is with that?

What's wrong with Coronation Street?

Funko
19-05-2006, 08:05:24
There's a huge amount of money spent on TV in the US, and a massive output. It's money that our typically smaller stations can't match. Our TV companies can buy in an excellent huge budget American series a lot cheaper than you can make one. (and a shit sit-com even cheaper!).

Plus, despite it's terrible reputation some American programs are actually excellent. The Simpsons and Futurama, Lost, House, The Sopranoes etc.

The other thing that skews it, probably, is that we talk more online about internationally known shows than we would about local ones.

That said, none of those US shows get an audience anywhere near something like what Corrie gets. They tend to be very much cult shows, or on smaller stations. Eastenders/Coronation St will get 15/16 million viewers, Dr Who gets 10 million which would compare to 2 or 3 million for a typical US show.

Lost recently got the highest viewing figures for any US show at around 6 million, which is a huge success for Channel 4.

http://www.channel4sales.com/news/news-article.aspx?year=2005&id=282

Nills Lagerbaak
19-05-2006, 08:11:47
Now correct me if I'm worng, but did scraphead challenge (probably my all time favouite british show) start off British and inspire an American clone, or the otherway round? In which case you lot do watch our shows - just with a different name!

Funko
19-05-2006, 08:15:49
Started here( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapheap_Challenge )

We import their program formats and redo them as well though.

Nills Lagerbaak
19-05-2006, 08:17:53
Yikes! How can it have been going since 1998!?!

Nills Lagerbaak
19-05-2006, 08:19:24
Oh and as for the bigger question of why are we into your culture? Because globalisation started in America, and everything else has been largley priced out :p

King_Ghidra
19-05-2006, 08:28:08
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
scraphead challenge

:lol:

Asher
19-05-2006, 08:28:30
It's not my culture, we watch mostly American shows as well. Budgetary reasons.

King_Ghidra
19-05-2006, 08:32:58
american culture is the world culture, coca cola will defeat islamic fundamentalism far more effectively than green berets

Funko
19-05-2006, 08:34:14
Originally posted by Asher
It's not my culture, we watch mostly American shows as well. Budgetary reasons.

Well, same thing here. *shrug*

Except it's not "mostly" US shows.

King_Ghidra
19-05-2006, 08:37:11
and when asher says europeans i guess he means brits, because from what i've seen of telly in portugal, greece, italy etc. there wasn't much american tv

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2006, 08:38:24
Budgetary reasons here too. I guess we could import French and German TV but have you actually seen it?

Funko
19-05-2006, 08:45:17
:lol: Exactly.

maroule
19-05-2006, 09:14:55
yeah, market size mostly
the tv shows we're producing here are adressing a public of 3 to 4 million people max, and to do that they need to be has much as possible targeted at the "mass audience". Which means utter shit. With no way to kick start, you don't get the pool of competences/skills either, so that's self perpetuating.

Funko
19-05-2006, 09:16:53
Some UK programs are aiming for that kind of audiences and are pretty good though, but that could be a consequence of state funding/licence fee support.

maroule
19-05-2006, 09:19:56
but apart from TV shows, there has always been a fascination in Europe for the US, dating back from the very start, because the US was also the land of the new start (and the myth of starting over is always very powerful, look at the Lost serie for example), of the "uncle from the americas" who made a fortune there, etc.

That trend has been blurred/complemented later on by internal politics on the EU side, by ham fisted foreign policitcs on the US side, and by other factors

Funko
19-05-2006, 09:21:02
In the UK it also has the benefit of being in English.

Fistandantilus
19-05-2006, 09:23:02
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
and when asher says europeans i guess he means brits, because from what i've seen of telly in portugal, greece, italy etc. there wasn't much american tv

Well, we get a lot of american TV shows here too, I actually think Funko's first post describes the situation in Italy too.

Or course we are typically a couple of years behind in the series due to translations but we get Lost, CSI, The simpsons, Cold Case, .. too. Oh, and we get french and german productions too, I think commander Florent and inspector Derrick are two of them.

Italian produced fiction gets much more audience though.

King_Ghidra
19-05-2006, 09:32:32
commander Florent and inspector Derrick

:lol: don't have the same ring about them as CSI: Miami do they

Fistandantilus
19-05-2006, 09:35:44
:p

MoSe
19-05-2006, 09:56:54
Fist, you were probably too young to enjoy "La clinica nella foresta nera" (die Schwarzwald Klinik) :), and what about Siska, Kobra (Autobahn Patrol), Un caso per due... my granny was a fan of german police/investigation series! :D

maroule
19-05-2006, 10:10:42
inspector Derrick, the show prescribed to heavy insomniacs

King_Ghidra
19-05-2006, 10:16:42
i hate wankers that don't allow direct image linking

maroule
19-05-2006, 10:29:51
www.google.com

paiktis22
19-05-2006, 10:52:41
there aren't many american serrials here. i clearly remember going to holland and watching some tv in the hotel room and it was like i was in the US in comparison. i liked dr. phil show :o

paiktis22
19-05-2006, 11:01:15
i can think of the following.
friends which has a big audience and sex and the city which also had big audience. sopranos which had minimum and was removed. housewives which noone saw it and was removed. in general the serials are greek because they reflect everyday reality and culture plus the language so it's no match. it's a culture thing. also seeing as greeks watch more tv than any other european country, there are a LOT of serials...but there are a lot of american movies playing on TV, i guess because they cant/ wont be made by domestic means.

Nav
19-05-2006, 11:01:40
you were so watching the wrong channel. :rolleyes:

paiktis22
19-05-2006, 11:03:40
not to worry, i watched the "other" channel as well :D

MOBIUS
19-05-2006, 11:52:56
It's amazing to me that American TV shows are so popular overseas. We don't watch any of your shows across the pond these days.

What is with that?

You'd be surprised how many of 'our' shows you probably actually do watch - we export loads of idea formats to the US because the US market isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it unless it has been suitably Americanised first for their consumption...

Fistandantilus
19-05-2006, 12:26:44
Originally posted by MoSe
Fist, you were probably too young to enjoy "La clinica nella foresta nera" (die Schwarzwald Klinik) :), and what about Siska, Kobra (Autobahn Patrol), Un caso per due... my granny was a fan of german police/investigation series! :D

jesjes, I heard them albeit I never actually saw those shows.
Actually I only watch TV during dinner so the only show I know well is the millionaire quiz :o

Chairman Yang
19-05-2006, 12:54:10
Hegemony, duh.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2006, 13:20:50
Fuck off back to frankfurt with your conservative Critical Theory, you wanker.

HelloKitty
19-05-2006, 13:38:19
Originally posted by MOBIUS
You'd be surprised how many of 'our' shows you probably actually do watch - we export loads of idea formats to the US because the US market isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it unless it has been suitably Americanised first for their consumption...

ANd you can take your pop idol big brother trading spaces shit and ram them right back up your ass!!!

I just got cable again (switching to VoIP) and because of the popularity of all the shows we stole from you BBC america is the most worthless shit now.

SO now I can at any time tune into 3 different versions of cash in the attic! YAY!!!

You fuckers.

As for quality programs, you all have to remember you only see a tiny bit of what is made here. I get 200 channels or some such. For every Larry Sanders there are 100 channels showing 24 hours of absolute shit.

Even cartoon network is painful to watch a good portion of the time. WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU PLAY SAVED BY THE BELL? ITS FUCKING CARTOON NETWORK!!! IF YOU WANT TO BE IRONIC PLAY SHOWGIRLS (ONCE!!!) YOU CUNTS!!!

ALthough I do get to see the new Doctor Who for the first time tonight. BBC didn't get the rights to air it in the states though.

From the last week of having cable (got it Sat) here are the shows worth watching.

Daily show
Colbert Report
Fosters home for imaginary friends
The Boondocks
Family Guy (quicky becoming the simpsons as they run out of funny)

Lost is shit, but popular shit.
House is the Hugh Laurie show right? Could they be any more extreme with poor plot devices? Vaguely entertaining to watch.

Funko
19-05-2006, 14:08:42
Originally posted by HelloKitty
ANd you can take your pop idol big brother trading spaces shit and ram them right back up your ass!!!

Big Brother is Dutch. Blame them!

DevilsH@lo
19-05-2006, 14:41:57
And lets not forget Fritz, which was a complete fucking abortion of what started out as quite a reasonable drama.

Oerdin
19-05-2006, 15:11:35
Originally posted by Funko
Big Brother is Dutch. Blame them!

Fucking Dutch. Yes, and 90% of American tv sucks and you folks only see the "good" stuff. In my opinion that "good" stuff also sucks.

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2006, 15:17:37
Not in Sweden we don't. We get a lot of your crap stuff as well. All commercial channels are filled with american syndicated shows daytime, and it's all sorts of crud like "Living with Fran" and "Days of Our Lives". Not to mention Fox News, which one channel shows all day.

Funko
19-05-2006, 15:21:26
Is it the Fox News channel?

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2006, 15:22:56
No.

Oerdin
19-05-2006, 15:28:44
I'm surprised people watch Fox News overseas. It's so jingoistic that you wouldn't think foreigners would like it.

Funko
19-05-2006, 15:29:49
Yeah, I'm surprised US popularity has held up so strongly.

Immortal Wombat
19-05-2006, 15:30:00
Since when TV companies cared about their audience liking anything?

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-05-2006, 16:22:39
While we import a lot of drama, we export a lot of natural history. The Natural History Unit and David Attenborough are major money-spinners for the BBC.

JM^3
19-05-2006, 17:20:02

I just got cable again (switching to VoIP) and because of the popularity of all the shows we stole from you BBC america is the most worthless shit now.

SO now I can at any time tune into 3 different versions of cash in the attic! YAY!!!

You fuckers.

As for quality programs, you all have to remember you only see a tiny bit of what is made here. I get 200 channels or some such. For every Larry Sanders there are 100 channels showing 24 hours of absolute shit.

Even cartoon network is painful to watch a good portion of the time. WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU PLAY SAVED BY THE BELL? ITS FUCKING CARTOON NETWORK!!! IF YOU WANT TO BE IRONIC PLAY SHOWGIRLS (ONCE!!!) YOU CUNTS!!!

ALthough I do get to see the new Doctor Who for the first time tonight. BBC didn't get the rights to air it in the states though.

From the last week of having cable (got it Sat) here are the shows worth watching.

Daily show
Colbert Report
Fosters home for imaginary friends
The Boondocks
Family Guy (quicky becoming the simpsons as they run out of funny)

Lost is shit, but popular shit.
House is the Hugh Laurie show right? Could they be any more extreme with poor plot devices? Vaguely entertaining to watch.

Cartoon Network plays Saved by the Bell? :cry:

I use to rely on it for not utter crap programming.

I mean, cartoons from the 30s are better. (you can always play bugs bunny or daffy duck..)

I like Top Gear, but don't see it on TV here often.

Jon Miller

JM^3
19-05-2006, 17:20:48
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'm surprised people watch Fox News overseas. It's so jingoistic that you wouldn't think foreigners would like it.

Maybe it is finianced by the government..?

Sort of like Air America?

JM

Scabrous Birdseed
19-05-2006, 18:00:38
The positive thing with the commercial channels are the syndicated MacGuyver reruns.

Diss
19-05-2006, 19:14:41
I wonder why americans are so into British culture. :). Between music, and other entertainment. We do import alot from them. I guess because they speak English. Other europeans are just too weird though. :p

Asher
19-05-2006, 20:53:57
What British bands are big these days? Coldplay? I can't think of any other.

On the other hand, there seems to be a big trend of Canadian bands that are up and coming.

Oerdin
19-05-2006, 21:18:43
Originally posted by Funko
Yeah, I'm surprised US popularity has held up so strongly.

I'm not. There are a lot of stupid people in America who want to be told what to think since they don't want to actually do any thinking themselves.

Darkstar
19-05-2006, 21:21:55
Adult Swim (CN's "adult" block) showed Saved By the Bell as a total "fuck everyone/look who we used to jerk to" moment. That, and they had nothing else to show. They've also played Gigantor, Chuck Norris Commandos, the Mr. T cartoon show, and a few others.

CN started a new channel to show "Classic" cartoons on. So it could show other properties.

Oerdin
19-05-2006, 21:22:10
Originally posted by JM^3
Maybe it is finianced by the government..?

Sort of like Air America?

JM

You must mean the Voice of America or Radio Free Europe. Those are government financed while Air America Radio is a private company (basically the left's version of the crappy right wing political commentary stations).

Darkstar
19-05-2006, 21:22:45
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'm not. There are a lot of stupid people everywhere who want to be told what to think since they don't want to actually do any thinking themselves.

Fixed.

Oerdin
19-05-2006, 21:24:57
What British bands are big these days? Coldplay? I can't think of any other.

On the other hand, there seems to be a big trend of Canadian bands that are up and coming.

There is a huge list of popular British bands. I won't bother listing them because then we'll get into a debate over what exactly is popular or not. Let's suffice it to say we have established in the past that you are excellent at computers but totally lost when it comes to music. :p

HelloKitty
19-05-2006, 21:25:08
I do know the new venture brothers will be coming out soon, so hope is not lost for CN.

Oerdin
19-05-2006, 21:26:35
Originally posted by Darkstar
Fixed.

The sheepeople are found every where but America does seem to have a higher proportion of sheepeople then other countries though.

Darkstar
19-05-2006, 21:26:38
VENTURE BROTHERS!!

HelloKitty
19-05-2006, 21:28:09
It will be interesting to see what they do with the venture brothers, since they killed them off in the last episode when they thought they wern't being renewed.

Although there was the one episode Rusty made some off coment about the formula used to create them.

Darkstar
19-05-2006, 21:29:43
I think America has a bit less sheepeople then most places. We just put then on TV a lot, to make fun of them.

Hell, a good part of the reason Americans are thought rude world-wide is that we don't "follow the crowd" as often as others. We have tons of kid shows about "being yourself" and "being happy about being different", while other places have tons of kid shows on "sacrificing for the group" and "being just like everyone else".

HelloKitty
19-05-2006, 21:31:41
Oh, brits.

Is the Doctor Who episode "Boom Town" any good.

Its the one we get tonight.

When the Tardis crew takes a holiday, the Doctor encounters an enemy he thought long dead. It soon transpires that plans to build a nuclear power station in Cardiff city are disguising an alien plot to rip the world apart and when the Doctor dines with monsters, he discovers traps within traps.

Diss
19-05-2006, 21:33:37
I think America has a bit less sheepeople then most places. We just put then on TV a lot, to make fun of them.

Hell, a good part of the reason Americans are thought rude world-wide is that we don't "follow the crowd" as often as others. We have tons of kid shows about "being yourself" and "being happy about being different", while other places have tons of kid shows on "sacrificing for the group" and "being just like everyone else".

yeah but in the end, they all just wear pants falling off their asses and drive around in these wannabe fast japanese cars.

Darkstar
19-05-2006, 21:34:04
"Get the Clones".

There's been several references to "Human Cloning" in the series. So they can go back to the old set up if they want without any real problems. Of course, the question is what would be funnier?

Darkstar
19-05-2006, 21:36:06
Originally posted by Diss
yeah but in the end, they all just wear pants falling off their asses and drive around in these wannabe fast japanese cars.

Kids always want to be popular in their groups. Now the pants are falling off, it used to be worn inside out, before that it was backwards, etc etc etc. It's the same cycle that's been going on since the 50s, to hear my elders tell it, complaining about how they invented that look.

Diss
19-05-2006, 21:37:53
elders?

that word just seems funny in modern usage. :)

mr_G
19-05-2006, 22:20:05
do not forget the excellent Dutch program BIG BROTHER.

now that's culture
damn we Dutchies are sooooo proud of that
w00000t!!
:bounce:

Cruddy
19-05-2006, 23:21:32

What is with that?

Because the Canadian ones are even worse?

Fucking hell, you got to be kidding.

Asher
20-05-2006, 00:14:15
It is a known fact that there is no TV show better than Hockey Night in Canada.

Chairman Yang
20-05-2006, 00:35:19
I used to watch Fox News for entertainment, finding all the ways in which it was not fair and balanced. I swapped to the Pentagon channel though for my entertainment needs.

Cruddy
20-05-2006, 00:49:08
It is a known fact that there is no TV show better than Hockey Night in Canada.

Well, if you like watching hunky men beat the crap out of each other I can see the attraction.

Here it's not televised, you just go out on a Saturday night.

Asher
20-05-2006, 01:02:19
It's well known that you go out after the hockey game.

Frozen Frog
20-05-2006, 05:13:45
Fuck off.

Asher
20-05-2006, 05:32:06
Fuck off.

Cruddy
20-05-2006, 17:30:17
It's well known that you go out after the hockey game.

It saves time if you get your mindless violence fix while out though. Saves watching the violence then going out.

Koshko
20-05-2006, 22:14:18
Actually we just steal ideas from across the pond and use them in our own shows here. Where do you think most of the most popular reality shows originated from.

Asher
20-05-2006, 22:18:09
By popular I assume you mean widely hated.

Koshko
20-05-2006, 22:22:56
Well I hate reality TV, but that doesn't stop 60 million jackasses from voting for American Idol every week its on.

TCO
22-05-2006, 00:00:47
I don't watch television.

Greg W
22-05-2006, 03:59:06
Hell, a good part of the reason Americans are thought rude world-wide is that we don't "follow the crowd" as often as others.Actually, it's that the majority of your travellers that we remember are loud, rude and obnoxious. I'd almost think it was a government conspiracy to send the worst examples of Americans overseas for a few months at a time every year.

DaShi
22-05-2006, 04:17:14
Gives the rest of us a break.

Asher
22-05-2006, 06:48:35
Can Australians really call other people rude and obnoxious?

notyoueither
22-05-2006, 06:57:32
I think they like to.

Funko
22-05-2006, 08:39:55
Oh, brits.

Is the Doctor Who episode "Boom Town" any good.

Its the one we get tonight.

I know it's too late, but I thought that was a good one.

HelloKitty
22-05-2006, 17:45:02
Lol thanks.

And that blonde girl is a whore. "Wanna go to a hotel" "sure!!!"

And the Captain is annoying too.

Darkstar
23-05-2006, 20:37:24
By popular I assume you mean widely hated.

Most popular are also the most hated. Strange how that works.

Darkstar
23-05-2006, 20:39:27
Originally posted by Greg W
Actually, it's that the majority of your travellers that we remember are loud, rude and obnoxious.

So, you just remember the exceptions. You don't remember the quiet, polite, thoughtful travellers. Probably think they are Canadian. ;)

Greg W
24-05-2006, 04:12:27
Well, why would you remember the quiet ones? Most people remember those that stand out in some way, not the quiet ones.

Might have agreed about the Canadian part, as the few I have met have been great people. But then there's Asher. Maybe he's part American...

Darkstar
24-05-2006, 21:08:41
Humm... Isn't the Brit's "Pop Idol" nothing more then Japan's "Who Is Singing Talent"? Isn't the Dutch's "Big Brother" nothing more then Japan's "Glass House"? I think all the TV shows around the world steal from each other and license each others properties (if they can't get away with stealing it).

Koshko
24-05-2006, 22:26:59
Ever see Sushi TV? Those are the game shows the US should steal.

BigGameHunter
25-05-2006, 04:45:46
My all time favorite shows:
Sumo wrestling (living in Tokyo)
Weird sadistic game show where balls and shit are thrown at people (also in Japan)
Most docus on Public Broadcasting.
Most British dramas on PB. (Forsythe Saga, etc).
Most docus on PB (non-British).
Antique Roadshow.
Robot Wars.
Red Dwarf (early...not that late smeg).
Trading Spaces (maybe I'm gay?).
I thought Junkyard Wars was cool.
Lost.
First season of Alias.
History channel stuff, especially military.
Adult Swim, but mostly just Sealab 2021.
Cops (because other people's misery makes mine seem small).
Hmmm...that's about it. Don't watch much tv anymore...mainly read, surf the net and pass out on the couch.

JM^3
25-05-2006, 05:00:00
That is a lot of TV

I mostly don't watch anymore..

BattleStar Galactica I would watch though

JM

BigGameHunter
25-05-2006, 05:03:40
Old or new?

JM^3
25-05-2006, 07:14:31
new