PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci Code

paiktis22
18-05-2006, 17:15:44
Duuuull.

The director tried to fit as much as possible in it and it's too heavy. But if someone hasn't read the book and doesn't have a tv and radio so as to know what the story is about, he might enjoy it for surprise value.

paiktis22
18-05-2006, 17:24:47
btw russia has the coolest protestors.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060518/capt.1da08acdffc74ca8b9b0b76f660a737a.russia_prote st_da_vinci_code_mosb122.jpg?x=380&y=278&sig=PgKBvi3Tf4ywP9SIktObOg--

Chris
19-05-2006, 17:29:04
The reviews here say its overlong and dull, outside of one paper that laughingly gave it 4 stars.

Darkstar
19-05-2006, 20:14:36
I've heard a few critics say that if you loved the book, go see it as they crammed in the book into a mere 2.5 hours of movie. If you don't love the book or haven't read the book, skip the movie, because it is a long dull, true to the book adaption and would bore anyone that isn't a fan of the book to death in their chairs.

paiktis22
21-05-2006, 17:45:48
*spoilers :D

I think if you hadn't read the book, it might be hard to follow because it tried to cramp up too many elements of the book in it. But the surprise value of finding that jesus had a wife (according to the movie) it's enough to make it worth the money. but i doubt anyone would not know by now what the book and movie are about.

Another thing that I can't understand, is why should it have been so damning if indeed christ had a wife and that she was maria magdalene (a prostitute brought to the "right" path by jesus). would that have been so horrible?

It's not even original. Kazantzakis wrote it so long ago and IIRC scorcese made it into a film: the last temptation of christ.
ALthouygh in da vinci code, the writer offers some pseudotruthful "evidence" to make it more compelling.

Still I don't see why this should upset people. Jesus was a mangod according to christianity and a man makes love. I think it's all those pesky deprived monks that have just realized they've missed years of fun without real reason that got pissed.

Sir Penguin
21-05-2006, 19:54:24
Some people just like protesting.

SP

DaShi
21-05-2006, 20:35:37
I heard that it was the message that Christianity is the greatest evil in the world and it must be stopped that got a lot of people pissed.

MoSe
22-05-2006, 11:09:47
well, I didn't need a fiction book loosely inspired to christian mythology, to know that....

Darkstar
23-05-2006, 19:25:01
The Chronicles of Narnia taught you that already?

MoSe
24-05-2006, 07:20:27
nah, as you could expect, the Spanish Inquisition opened my eyes

JM^3
24-05-2006, 07:41:56
Originally posted by paiktis22
*spoilers :D

I think if you hadn't read the book, it might be hard to follow because it tried to cramp up too many elements of the book in it. But the surprise value of finding that jesus had a wife (according to the movie) it's enough to make it worth the money. but i doubt anyone would not know by now what the book and movie are about.

Another thing that I can't understand, is why should it have been so damning if indeed christ had a wife and that she was maria magdalene (a prostitute brought to the "right" path by jesus). would that have been so horrible?

It's not even original. Kazantzakis wrote it so long ago and IIRC scorcese made it into a film: the last temptation of christ.
ALthouygh in da vinci code, the writer offers some pseudotruthful "evidence" to make it more compelling.

Still I don't see why this should upset people. Jesus was a mangod according to christianity and a man makes love. I think it's all those pesky deprived monks that have just realized they've missed years of fun without real reason that got pissed.

the issue (only issue) I have with it is that it claims that it is fact...

when it isn't, and a lot is known to be made up, while other bits are unoriginal speculation

JM

maroule
24-05-2006, 08:42:03
yep, that's the main point, the pretense of historical accuracy is irritating and preposterous... among other things, the Priory of Sion has been proved without contest to be a forgery created by a lunatic french aristocrat in the 50s'... yet he bases his all story on it...

fp
24-05-2006, 10:40:44
It doesn't claim the 'conspiracy' is fact at all ... at least the copy I read didn't.

Funko
24-05-2006, 10:46:20
No, it claims that the art and rituals described are factual (not entirely true) but certainly not the conspiracy.

maroule
24-05-2006, 11:01:18
it claims the priory of sion is fact, and that's false, and easily demonstrable

anyway, if you''re reading it thinking of it as historical truth, you're a moron - FACT

Scabrous Birdseed
24-05-2006, 11:43:45
It's not real? But it was in Gabriel Knight: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned!

MoSe
24-05-2006, 16:32:26
Originally posted by maroule
yep, that's the main point, the pretense of historical accuracy is irritating and preposterous... among other things, the Priory of Sion has been proved without contest to be a forgery created by a lunatic french aristocrat in the 50s'... yet he bases his all story on it...

lots of literature is famous for inventing references to something invented, presenting them as real for the fiction's sake.

Think to The Manuscript Found in Zaragoza (?), to several Borges short stories, and I can't recall whether all the references in "A rebours" by Huysmans were real or invented...

MoSe
24-05-2006, 16:33:28
anyway it's settled: I'm quitting work forever for today, and in 1 hour I'm gonna see it in english, for 3 only :smoke:

JM^3
24-05-2006, 18:02:02

I actually wouldn't be irritated at it at all, except that I run into person after person after person, many who are intelligent and who I appreciate the opinion of, fall hook like and sinker for it being historically accurate.

People really want to beleive this conspiracy stuff.

Jon Miller

maroule
24-05-2006, 19:38:41
Borges and Potocki did invent a lot of fake references for the pleasure of their readers, but didn't go around telling it was the biggest scandal in history finally uncovered

Darkstar
24-05-2006, 20:48:46
Jon, sounds like you are just discovering that those people are not, in fact, intelligent. They just had you fooled by acting in a manner that you think intelligent people should act.

Otherwise, you have to question, if those people are so smart, why are you so dumb and don't believe as they believe?

DaShi
24-05-2006, 22:12:10
Originally posted by MoSe
anyway it's settled: I'm quitting work forever for today, and in 1 hour I'm gonna see it in english, for 3 only :smoke:

MoSe's a hardcore fan. :cool:

MoSe
29-05-2006, 11:54:39
meh

it was dull indeed

I thought to recall that it took so much in the book to get to Teabing's villa, and instead in the movie it happens before halftime, I thought already?
Then it gets much slower....

dunno, maybe we're spoiled by to much MI-III-like action movies, but in the book the interesting part was the parallel between their physical escape/quest, and the unfolding of the mysteries...

none ot that in the movie, I think it's TV level.
I doubted about Hanks' casting but he protrayed Langdon well imho. Which I can't say about Audrey Tautou albeit I find her lovely.

In the end I found myself thinking that National Treasure for instance despite being intellectually cheaper, had been much more entertaining

PS: Aringarosa character is a real joke, in the movie.... besides, his name in italian means "pink herring" :lol:

MoSe
29-05-2006, 11:59:41
Borges and Potocki did invent a lot of fake references for the pleasure of their readers, but didn't go around telling it was the biggest scandal in history finally uncovered

did he claim that? seriously? or wasn't it an *easily readable* fake claim too, for obvious commmercial purposes?

I'm sure there have been books relating Jesus with Aliens and Pyramyds but non had raised such a publicitary fuss.

Oh, I think to remember Godard's "Je vous salue, Marie" movie, with the naked Marushka Detmers caused a big scandal too, but that was a much higher quality movie, and much more enjoyable too :D ;)

BigGameHunter
30-05-2006, 03:34:03
See "Jesus of Montreal" instead. Out on video, great acting and just as blasphemous!

JM^3
30-05-2006, 06:08:50
Originally posted by Darkstar
Jon, sounds like you are just discovering that those people are not, in fact, intelligent. They just had you fooled by acting in a manner that you think intelligent people should act.

Otherwise, you have to question, if those people are so smart, why are you so dumb and don't believe as they believe?

once they read about some of the historical facts (like that the prion of zion nonsense was all made up in the 60s) they don't think that it is correct anymore either..

Jon Miller

maroule
30-05-2006, 07:33:36
Originally posted by MoSe
Oh, I think to remember Godard's "Je vous salue, Marie" movie, with the naked Marushka Detmers caused a big scandal too, but that was a much higher quality movie, and much more enjoyable too :D ;)

aaah, Marushka :heart:

she once was supposed to mimic a blow job in a scene... but instead did it for real (as was later shown in the film), at the surprise of the director, and the enchanted surprise of her fellow actor... she said she did it for the sake of realism.... praise her dedication to the immersive school of acting

Kitsuki
12-06-2006, 09:44:54
Well, only went to see this last night.

I actually thought it was very entertaining - mostly because I thought the acting was very good, and particularly Silas who was very sinister (that was a good performance by Paul Bettany, didnt know he had that in him).

The last 10-15 minutes of the film ruined it for me... I wish he had just destroyed the puzzle... Up to then it was all believable that there are zealots crazy enough to kill over such a premise - it is telling us that she is Jesus' descendant, and that Mary Magdalene is buried under the Louvre that completely blew my suspense of disbelief.

Gibsie
14-06-2006, 00:20:46
it was rubbish

mr_G
16-06-2006, 10:22:58
I liked it.
well last monday i needed an airconditioned place cause it was 33 little o C in mya ppartment and that film gave me 3 hours of not sweating laaik a beaver.

Gibsie
19-06-2006, 21:20:00
it was still rubbish

mr_G
20-06-2006, 04:51:46
and jesjes it was rubbish

DaShi
20-06-2006, 06:15:28
Originally posted by Kitsuki
Well, only went to see this last night.

I actually thought it was very entertaining - mostly because I thought the acting was very good, and particularly Silas who was very sinister (that was a good performance by Paul Bettany, didnt know he had that in him).

The last 10-15 minutes of the film ruined it for me... I wish he had just destroyed the puzzle... Up to then it was all believable that there are zealots crazy enough to kill over such a premise - it is telling us that she is Jesus' descendant, and that Mary Magdalene is buried under the Louvre that completely blew my suspense of disbelief.

They had to setup for the sequel: The Da Vinco Code 2: Michaelango's Revenge!!!

Drekkus
20-06-2006, 11:00:22
aaah, Marushka :heart:

she once was supposed to mimic a blow job in a scene... but instead did it for real (as was later shown in the film), at the surprise of the director, and the enchanted surprise of her fellow actor... she said she did it for the sake of realism.... praise her dedication to the immersive school of acting Ah yes! Another fine dirty dutch girl.

neilenglish
25-06-2006, 09:39:38
Screw the Da Vinci Code. What's all the fuss about anyway? If you want a real brain teaser try Dark Rain - even the ISBN is part of the code. Cooool. Questions: how many chapters in the book? How many letters in the title? What does the ISBN add up to (include Roman numerals). All you geeks out there, take it and run!