PDA

View Full Version : Taking Laz DIYs a step further..


paiktis22
18-05-2006, 16:33:00
A little question. Can I make my own cement?
Meaning, if I take a bag of powder cement (the grey stuff) and I mix it with water, can I then apply it, pure it to a surface that I will have beforehand enclosed with wooden planks thus creating a cement platform?

So the questions that arise are:

1) Is it possible to make cement by mixing on your own and without the help of special mixer machines powder cement and water?

2) What is the proper procedure for laying a cement platform? You create an even ground then build a small box with wooden planks in which you pure the cement?

If someone knows it.... please tell :D

MDA
18-05-2006, 16:40:51
1) I'm guessing with a fairly powerful electric drill and mixer attachment you could do small quantities of cement - say a couple of gallons at a time.

It worked for me mixing thinset and grout for the bathroom floor tile. I used a 6 amp drill and a ribbon mixer-like attachment. I imagine the thin set has about the same consistency as cement.

shagnasty
18-05-2006, 16:43:14
Don't you need sand to? Or some sort of binding agent anyway?

MDA
18-05-2006, 16:44:03
and I guess I should say that a 6 amp drill is adequate, not powerful

no idea on 2

Beta1
18-05-2006, 16:50:28
You can mix it with just a spade and a decent sized bucket but it wont be fun.

Just go and hire a cement mixer - it will be a hell of a lot easier

shagnasty
18-05-2006, 16:53:29
or better still, pay someone else to do it for you, and get them to do it without a cement mixer, then larf HARR HARR at them while they struggle.

paiktis22
18-05-2006, 17:20:04
ok. thanks. will see what will happen.

mr.G
18-05-2006, 17:26:45
1:2:3
1 water 2 cement 3 sand

you can mix it in a bucket

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
18-05-2006, 17:31:34
Originally posted by Beta1
You can mix it with just a spade and a decent sized bucket but it wont be fun.

Ah, the "Dad's weekend DIY technique".

Venom
18-05-2006, 17:32:05
Cement these days is a high tech blend. Any shit you make would be of less quality than an adobe brick.

paiktis22
18-05-2006, 17:38:25
As long as they don't grab my ass* I'll hire help.

*=get me naked**

**=ask too much money

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-05-2006, 17:53:07
Originally posted by paiktis22

1) Is it possible to make cement by mixing on your own and without the help of special mixer machines powder cement and water?


Yes.



2) What is the proper procedure for laying a cement platform? You create an even ground then build a small box with wooden planks in which you pure the cement?

If someone knows it.... please tell :D

You've got the basics there, but you really need to lay it down on a bed of aggregate or hardcore.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-05-2006, 17:54:46
Originally posted by Venom
Cement these days is a high tech blend.


You've clearly never encountered Britain's largest cement manufacturer, Lafarge (formerly Blue Circle). The amount of grief they've caused me over the past three years is beyond belief.

Venom
18-05-2006, 17:57:15
Has a proper investigation been done on that front? Do we know it was the cement's fault and not the powers of Laz at work?

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-05-2006, 18:00:51
It wasn't me who built our new corporate HQ that turned out to be made with concrete that had all the binding qualities of dandruff.

Darkstar
18-05-2006, 18:02:00
Sounds like a quality government contractor.

The Mad Monk
19-05-2006, 06:01:46
Aggregate of hardcore?

Skanky Burns
19-05-2006, 08:05:18
Thats a pretty good site. :b:

paiktis22
19-05-2006, 11:09:40
i asked and they told me 1.000 euros to make the platform. ha ha ha ha. i'm going today to buy the spade the cement and the wooden planks

VetLegion-
19-05-2006, 17:40:49
Hello Paiktis. Good to see you're still alive and doing something constructive :b:

And I can even help you out with this, I've done it before. Yes, you can mix concrete yourself using only a showel, water, cement and sand/gravel.

Be warned that it's really back breaking work! Serously, it's one of the most difficult things to do manually. If you need to make a lot of it you're bound to end up with muscle fever.

As to the procedure: first mix the dry sand/gravel and coment until they are well mixed. The ratio I've used has mostly been 1:3 (cement:gravel). Three showels of gravel mixed with one of cement. However, your mileage might vary depending on what you are doing. Ask around, older neighbours will be eeringly happy to advise and even cheer you on if you let them. Don't ;)

Then add water. You can use any flat surface (don't need a bucket). The ratio of water to the mix determines the strength of the concrete, but don't worry about that too much, you're not building a bridge to Turkey :). It should be liquid, but not too liquid. You can use your judgement or consult the web, sorry but I don't know the exact ratio.

If you have some iron lying around, it's not a bad idea to throw it where you are casting your thing. For serious things you need someone to calculate you the amount and positioning, but if you're simply leveling something you can just throw it there, like these guys:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/04/Concrete_rebar_0030.jpg/260px-Concrete_rebar_0030.jpg

Also, fortify the planks that surround the area you are pouring into. You should nail them together if you can.

VetLegion-
19-05-2006, 17:51:08
The thing that will make you sweat is mixing water in. You need to make a good thorough mixture and that means turning over each shovel of the material three, four, five times or more, and it's heavy stuff. To make enough concrete to cover the area of the iron grid those guys are holding (plus say 10 cm deep) is plenty of work.

Gary
19-05-2006, 18:33:39
Order the delivery of a truck full of Transit-mix. Prepare the site in advance. Have your family and friends ready on the day to help you spread and smooth it over everywhere you want it. Lock the dog, cat, and any small children in the house for the day.

King_Ghidra
19-05-2006, 18:35:35
still locking up children gary, tut tut, you learnt nothing from dutroux

Spartak@CPH
19-05-2006, 22:39:55
Cheap shot KG.

DaShi
19-05-2006, 23:07:18
Planning to deal with a snitch, huh?

Oerdin
20-05-2006, 03:18:21
I remember my dad mixing cement in a wheel barrel when he was putting up a brick wall in our backyard. It won't harden if you just keep mixing it with a shovel.

It's better to just rent a mixer though.

Frozen Frog
20-05-2006, 05:11:51
Still gooooooooooing.

paiktis22
20-05-2006, 12:28:38
thanks for the advices vetty and all, they're very valuable
i'm not going to pay 1.000 euros for having a silly platform to park my car inside the garden, so i'll make it myself. the worst that can happen is that it will break, i think.

Oerdin
20-05-2006, 17:17:07
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-pouring-concrete--bg-1283398.html

There are lots of different types of concrete. Make sure you get the right one.

Cruddy
20-05-2006, 18:46:22
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
You've clearly never encountered Britain's largest cement manufacturer, Lafarge (formerly Blue Circle). The amount of grief they've caused me over the past three years is beyond belief.

Factory at Westbury, Wiltshire. Notoriously poor quality control caused by using locally produced chalk as raw material to produce CaO quicklime.

There's any amount of flint and other rubbish blended in with it. They don't seperate out the heating gases, they don't even cover the storage area against the elements (or they didn't when I was in that area).

Shit quality control, in short. No wonder they changed ownership, it was the only way to avoid the lawsuits.

Koshko
20-05-2006, 22:32:23
1) All you need is the cement powder, a bucket or wheelbarrow of water, a quality spade, and lots of time. You just need to add in the water slowly to keep from oversaturating it but regularly to keep it from prematurely hardening.

Oerdin
21-05-2006, 07:31:25
The powder only makes about 25% of the finished product. The remaining 75% is made up of aggrigate such as sand or gravel.

Spartak@CPH
21-05-2006, 08:30:44
aggregate!

KrazyHorse@home
21-05-2006, 09:29:22
Originally posted by Oerdin
The powder only makes about 25% of the finished product. The remaining 75% is made up of aggrigate such as sand or gravel.

Depends whether you're talking cement or concrete.

Oerdin
21-05-2006, 12:10:41
Originally posted by Spartak@CPH
aggregate!

Am I not allowed typos?

paiktis22
21-05-2006, 17:53:34
Originally posted by Oerdin
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-pouring-concrete--bg-1283398.html

There are lots of different types of concrete. Make sure you get the right one.


great link

Spartak@CPH
22-05-2006, 05:43:04
Originally posted by Oerdin
Am I not allowed typos? 4 letters across and onbe row up is a typo?

:confused:

Gary
22-05-2006, 08:50:34
:lol:

MoSe
22-05-2006, 09:05:09
Originally posted by Spartak@CPH
4 letters across and onbe row up is a typo?

:confused:

:hmm:
is that a 100-0?

on my keyboard the 'i' is 5 keys on the right of the 'e', same row.

:confused:

MoSe
22-05-2006, 09:16:56
Originally posted by KrazyHorse@home
Depends whether you're talking cement or concrete.
that's interesting, as in italian, the word "cemento" is generically translated as "concrete"... :clueless:

Wanting to be strictly technical, I figure concrete would be "calcestruzzo", which wiki defines as a mix of a "ligant" (?) (cement indeed, or lime), gravel and/or sand, and water.
This is just boring, except that the literal translation of "calce-struzzo" is oddly "lime-ostrich" :clueless: :D

MDA
22-05-2006, 14:57:45
I always heard concrete described as cement with gravel in it, too.

Japher
22-05-2006, 15:15:04
yeah, cement is smooth
concrete has rocks in it
stucco is some weird mutant offspring

Spartak@CPH
22-05-2006, 17:03:08
nm