PDA

View Full Version : My lecture is about to begin...

Asher
16-05-2006, 19:06:08
"U2: Even Better Than the Real Thing"

University is ridiculous. Can't believe this is a course.

Next term (July/August), I get a course on Led Zeppelin. :beer:

Non-science options FTW.:shoot:

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-05-2006, 19:44:49
You're taking the piss. Universities do that shit?

Japher
16-05-2006, 19:46:56
watch him fail

Asher
16-05-2006, 20:03:05
There's also a Philosophy of the Simpsons course, and a Sopranos course.

Asher
16-05-2006, 20:04:22
Other Music History courses offered: Songs of the 90s, Songs of the 80s, The Beatles, Rock n' Roll Revolution, Pop Music.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
16-05-2006, 20:11:22
hmm... US college?

Scabrous Birdseed
16-05-2006, 20:11:44
Damn, I should become an american lecturer. I could teach those courses!

Immortal Wombat
16-05-2006, 20:18:48
Good to see universities teaching worthwhile courses.

Asher
16-05-2006, 20:23:58
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
hmm... US college?
Canadian University.

Asher
16-05-2006, 20:26:53
The prof seems to be great. He has a history of reprimands for political incorrectness, but says he doesn't care as he's tenured.

He asked if anyone in the room was in a band, a girl raised her hand, and he waved her off saying "Rock bands are for men".

Asher
16-05-2006, 20:28:55
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Damn, I should become an american lecturer. I could teach those courses!
Maybe you should consider it? Don't schools over there have contemporary music courses?

Asher
16-05-2006, 20:39:42
We're watching a U2 concert video...the prof keeps pausing it with useful observations: "this is a guitar. an electric guitar. Edge wears a black beanie."

Gibsie
16-05-2006, 22:11:54
y r u taking this course?

HelloKitty
16-05-2006, 23:02:11
hmm... US college?

no no no, our education system sucks UNTIL college, thats when we have the best in the world. Thats why people come from all over the world to go to Uni here, there are plenty of empty slots because our own people are too poorly educated to get into college.

DaShi
17-05-2006, 00:38:06
Yeah, but we still have some classes like those that people just take to meet graduation requirements, like Geology or the History of Rock.

KrazyHorse@home
17-05-2006, 02:49:00
Originally posted by Asher
He asked if anyone in the room was in a band, a girl raised her hand, and he waved her off saying "Rock bands are for men".

:lol:

KrazyHorse@home
17-05-2006, 02:50:12
Originally posted by HelloKitty
no no no, our education system sucks UNTIL college, thats when we have the best in the world.

Not really. US undergrad woefully underprepares its students.

US grad schools are the best in the world. US undergrad is passable, but nothing special. For the sciences, Euro undergrad is the best.

Asher
17-05-2006, 04:23:30
Originally posted by DaShi
Yeah, but we still have some classes like those that people just take to meet graduation requirements, like Geology or the History of Rock.

Bingo.

I've got fluff courses to take in the summer, then I graduate. "Non-science" options are the only requirements.

So I'm taking the U2 course, a Led Zeppelin course [next term], some easy psyc courses (2nd-year psyc courses are STILL 3 non-cumulative, equally-weighted, multiple choice tests for the entire grade?!), and other general crap. I'm also in a course about the differences between Canadian and American Cultures, which is a riot so far.

Asher
17-05-2006, 04:27:00
Love these emails.

There have recently been sightings of coyotes on the University of Calgary
campus.

The campus has both natural and developed spaces, which we share with several
species of wild animals, including coyotes.

Although coyotes mainly feed on small mammals such as mice, they have been
known to attack domestic pets. Coyotes are generally no threat to people
but should be treated with respect and never approached or fed.

While there have been reports of coyotes attacking people, these attacks
are very rare and seldom are the injuries serious.

Coyotes are part of our urban wildlife and should be enjoyed, but from a
distance.

I bet you don't have problems with this across the pond.

notyoueither
17-05-2006, 07:11:03
No, I'm sure they have no problem in cheering on the coyotes.

Asher
17-05-2006, 07:25:22
I find myself in the familiar position of wondering if you're trying to make a joke, or you're just drunk again.

http://urology.com.ua/spaw/imglib/lib3/the-alcoholic.jpg

Dyl Ulenspiegel
17-05-2006, 07:52:07
Originally posted by KrazyHorse@home
Not really. US undergrad woefully underprepares its students.

US grad schools are the best in the world. US undergrad is passable, but nothing special. For the sciences, Euro undergrad is the best.

One should also not forget taht the US tertiary education system is extremely diversified. Harvard has a budget that equals that of all Austrian universities (with 10 times more students), balanced by a lot of crap institutions at the other end.

Funko
17-05-2006, 07:59:36
Originally posted by DaShi

But they are the same? (/PHd)

When I started uni they just introduced a new modular schedule. The result was that I had to do one none physics module in one year.

No real joke ones like Asher is doing...

Everyone put their names down for Philosophy but there weren't enough places so I was down to do "History of the Earth" which was Geology. But it was the only lecture I had on a wednesday and it was at 9am, so no-one ever went, we all failed and all had to sit a ridiculously easy resit so we didn't all fail our degrees. Woo!

Scabrous Birdseed
17-05-2006, 09:33:19
Maybe you should consider it? Don't schools over there have contemporary music courses?

Only in the context of normal, academic-sounding overtheorised subjects like "the social anthropoplogy of music" (you can do this one up to "D" or Master's Degree level at my university) or "the gender context of rock lyrics" or "the history of ideas of modern pop culture". They'd never get away with someone just trying to describe the history of music!

Immortal Wombat
17-05-2006, 12:15:38
I bet you don't have problems with this across the pond.
No, we get rapists, mostly.

There have recently been sightings of rapists around the University of Cambridge.

The city has both natural and developed spaces, which we share with several species of wild animals, including rapists.
etc etc.

MoSe
17-05-2006, 12:32:27
you mean THE rapists???? :eek:

MDA
17-05-2006, 13:07:44
is that short for rap artists?

Darkstar
17-05-2006, 21:49:53
yes.

Asher
17-05-2006, 21:53:56
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
No, we get rapists, mostly.

etc etc.

Would've been better if you talked about Duke instead of some prissy British university.

devilmunchkin
17-05-2006, 21:54:45
i cannot believe you can get a degree for studying that crap...

Asher
17-05-2006, 21:56:07
It's just as useful as a philosophy degree, to be fair. In fact, this one actually relates to the real world in some way.

But yes, the fine arts are hilarious.

devilmunchkin
17-05-2006, 21:57:30
ok..i'll agree with that. philosophy isn't exactly a practical major (only a little less so than poetry i guess. lol.)

KrazyHorse@home
18-05-2006, 04:55:40
One should also not forget taht the US tertiary education system is extremely diversified. Harvard has a budget that equals that of all Austrian universities (with 10 times more students), balanced by a lot of crap institutions at the other end.

That budget doesn't buy an education, especially in undergrad.

I'm at a supposed elite school (though on the lower end of them) and the undergrad classes are pretty fucking easy compared to my undergrad courses. Also, we have a student from Berkeley and student from Caltech in our department. Neither walked in with as good an undergrad education as mine. The only one with a comparable undergrad level from the US was from Harvey Mudd college.

Oerdin
18-05-2006, 05:23:09
There's also a Philosophy of the Simpsons course, and a Sopranos course.

O honestly think any department which would teach such rubbish should be shut down for wasting tax payer money. That certainly never occured at my Uni.

Asher
18-05-2006, 05:26:07
You'd think so, but such departments thrive because students jam into them as soon as possible, the profs usually get paid sh*t, and they don't really use any resources.

They exist for art majors (whose degrees are admittedly worthless wastes of taxpayers dollars anyway ;) ) and for everyone else to take as GPA-boosting options to complete degree requirements.

It's The System.

Asher
18-05-2006, 05:26:39
My school also offers some high-level computer science courses (One on Viruses and Malware, one on Spam/AntiSpam). Those are fun, also.

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 06:35:25
I find myself in the familiar position of wondering if you're trying to make a joke, or you're just drunk again.

http://urology.com.ua/spaw/imglib/lib3/the-alcoholic.jpg

You're looking a little worse for wear in that shot, Asher.

Asher
18-05-2006, 06:39:10
The last time I had a drink was at a club about two months ago.

Asher
18-05-2006, 06:39:46
Mind you, I was completely trashed at the time.

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 06:41:19
Yeah. You're not supposed to drink when you are on the heavy psychotropics are you?

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 06:41:42
How is that condition coming along, anyway?

Asher
18-05-2006, 06:42:35
I've upped my dosage to 60mg/day. I may go 80 just because it makes me not give a shit about anything, and it's quite a feeling.

Asher
18-05-2006, 06:42:59
You know the 2nd half of Office Space? It's like that.

Asher
18-05-2006, 06:44:38
And Love and Peace or Else is a great song.

This is the first time I've truly enjoyed homework, I think.

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 06:44:43
I'd say it's close to working.

You're marginally less anti-social lately, and less of a full on emotional train wreck.

Asher
18-05-2006, 06:46:55
I'm not anti-social, I'm just extremely judgmental and lack the social barriers (largely due to the meds) that would otherwise prevent me from shutting my trap.

People are great. People that rub me the wrong way are bad.

Asher
18-05-2006, 06:47:56
For example: You are one lonely tool. It's fun to say, because it's true. And it's funnier because you usually respond with something inane like "your mom takes it up the ass!" or "I'm not the alcoholic, that's you!". It's comedy.

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 06:48:42
IOW, anti-social.

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 06:51:01
Veering through sociopathy to psychopathy.

Asher
18-05-2006, 06:51:13
Nay.

A number of years ago I actually did go to a psychiatrist biweekly for about a year. One thing I most definitely am not is anti-social.

But this could be a fun game, why don't you list psychological problems and I can tell you if they apply to me. :)

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 06:53:06
No need. We can see.

Asher
18-05-2006, 07:02:26
Originally posted by notyoueither
Veering through sociopathy to psychopathy.
Actually, what's happened is this:

My family has a history of General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) on my mom's side. During my early teens is when it really first started to kick in, and my anxiety levels about every stupid little thing went through the roof. This led me to become Avoidant. My grades fell rapidly because on tests and quizes in school I couldn't think at all, all I could do was worry about a million different things (what if this, and then what if that, what if that, what if that) that I could never really control.

So I saw the shrink to try behavioral/cognitive treatment, which didn't work. We tried medication to adjust chemical levels in the brain, and it worked wonders.

So my grades rebounded, I got into university, I got a SO, I got my internship, etc. Life turned around.

Of course, I'm still on the medication. Tried to go off it a while ago, and my anxiety levels skyrocketed once again and I also entered a big depressive phase. Went back on after that.

But now I've got an altered brain chemistry as a side-effect. I have hyperhydrosis (sweat easily), I've got really whacked-out (but fun) dreams, and most obviously on these forums, I really don't fear any backlash from people online for saying what is on my mind. It's not that I don't have a conscience or I have ill wishes for people in general (anti-social/psychopathy/etc), it's that I don't care if you get upset for me calling it as I see it.

Are you going to continue trying to make fun or insult me for this? Or are you going to get it that I just don't care?

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 07:05:52
Lack of empathy is a significant calling card of the severely mentally deranged.

Make all the excuses for it you like. That dog won't hunt.

Asher
18-05-2006, 07:09:35
I have empathy. I'm actually a very sensitive person in that regard. I cried two nights ago on the season finale of Grey's Anatomy when Denny died, for instance. And speaking of dogs, I also cried when Doc died -- a dog -- in the same episode.

I have empathy, just not for everyone. I don't empathize with Hitler, Stalin, or Urban Ranger for instance. ;) People who repeatedly and knowingly say incorrect things or try to push an agenda of some kind don't deserve my Christmas cards or my empathy.

If you're going to be an armchair psychologist, nye, the first place to start would be to know your terms. You've mixed up psychopathy/sociopathy/anti-social behavior here already. You don't know what's what, apparently.

And people like Ming lost my empathy long ago once I got to know him. It's not a sign of deranged mental behavior to despise certain people -- it's normal. :bouncmsk:

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 07:10:31

mr_G
18-05-2006, 07:12:43
who's denny?

Asher
18-05-2006, 07:15:41
Originally posted by mr_G
who's denny?
He was a patient who'd been in the hospital bed-ridden for years and fell in love with one of his doctors (a young pretty intern). He needed a heart transplant.

Really long story.

mr_G
18-05-2006, 07:18:51
ok, we're just half way the first season now.

notyoueither
18-05-2006, 07:20:00
This one will go many seasons, I think.

KrazyHorse@home
18-05-2006, 07:21:15
Grey's Anatomy is for girls. I watched one episode with my fiancée. It looked like Sex in the City with doctors.

Asher
18-05-2006, 07:27:14
Grey's Anatomy is for girls. I watched one episode with my fiancée. It looked like Sex in the City with doctors.

I love Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives.

I also love House. Because my personality is so very much like House's.

KrazyHorse@home
18-05-2006, 07:30:15
I haven't watched it, but I've been told that he's an asshole. My friend suggested that I watch it because I could probably relate to him.

I was so proud of myself.

Asher
18-05-2006, 07:37:27
You should watch it. He's an asshole with terrific wit. And he's always right. ;)

Asher
18-05-2006, 07:39:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2ecJyLSjVQ&search=house%20md

Asher
18-05-2006, 07:43:36
A short one of House trying to embarrass/discredit an old colleague of his he hates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf_gzZU21K8&search=house%20md

And another stupid patient:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjgNKhbju40&search=house%20md

Asher
18-05-2006, 07:45:21
And house-isms! Nice montage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX6TetH2sLY&search=house%20md

Dyl Ulenspiegel
18-05-2006, 08:13:28
That budget doesn't buy an education, especially in undergrad.

I'm at a supposed elite school (though on the lower end of them) and the undergrad classes are pretty fucking easy compared to my undergrad courses. Also, we have a student from Berkeley and student from Caltech in our department. Neither walked in with as good an undergrad education as mine. The only one with a comparable undergrad level from the US was from Harvey Mudd college.

The huge budgets usually buy a top faculty and infrastructure, which makes them attractive for research, faculty and I also suppose phd programs.

The student and teaching quality is a completely different matter, especially with legacies.

Funko
18-05-2006, 09:01:01
House is great. Hugh Laurie is absolutely brilliant in it.

And I still try and keep up with Desperate housewives.

KrazyHorse@home
18-05-2006, 09:23:11
The huge budgets usually buy a top faculty and infrastructure, which makes them attractive for research, faculty and I also suppose phd programs.

The student and teaching quality is a completely different matter, especially with legacies.

It really is.

US grad school is a completely different beast. At least in the sciences all the Americans spend the first year catching up on shit they were already supposed to have learned.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
18-05-2006, 09:38:24
So what is your impression of grad school (you mean master programs?) and phd programs - does their quality vary widely among the 3000* or so post-secondary institutions in the US?

* I just can't remember whether those were all post-secondary or just the research-related ones

KrazyHorse@home
18-05-2006, 09:58:07
grad school = both masters and phd programs

also, not all post-secondary institutions in the US grant advanced degrees

Yes, the quality does vary very widely. Even within a given school it matters more who your advisor is than what school you went to. Good advisors do good work, so you do good work. There are simply many more good advisors at certain schools than others. Some schools don't have a single faculty member I've ever heard of. Graduates of those schools find it much harder to obtain postdoc positions or faculty positions. Other schools have Nobellists coming out their ass. Anybody with a head on their shoulders who goes to a place like that will find it much easier to succeed academically.

Asher
18-05-2006, 20:30:36
"ignore the black guys, they don't count" (referring to piano keys he's playing...)

Asher
18-05-2006, 20:39:41
"Percussionists are like goalies...goalies are the best skaters on the team, and percussionists are best at music theory"