PDA

View Full Version : F**king estate agents

Beta1
16-05-2006, 15:17:40
Me and girlf are trying to rent a flat in solihull - after taking a deposit the agents are now trying to make out we are not suitable tenants because I am a student and she is unemployed...

Back in reality I'm not some cheapskate undergrad- I'm a trainee teacher and being paid to do that and my girlfriend is not unemployed she has a contract to start her job in birmingham on the 6th of june and has taken two weeks off to move up there!

Not to mention the fact that her salary alone could pay the rent twice over and I have enough cash in my account to pay the first 6 months rent up front.

FFS - we both have Doctorates and we own a flat in london already - do we sound like crap tenants?

I'm going to phone them up and beat them round the head with a wad of cash until they submit

Funko
16-05-2006, 15:19:03
Normally they charge you a fortune for this very basic background check as well, and if you fail for any reason they just ask for a guarantor.

King_Ghidra
16-05-2006, 15:21:26
:lol:@the student scrounger and the dole monkey

Funko
16-05-2006, 15:22:41
If you filled in the form with "unemployed" for your gf rather than with her new job as a reference, that was silly. :D

Japher
16-05-2006, 15:24:27
i wouldn't rent to you Beta1... you sound like a rent dodger to me

Beta1
16-05-2006, 15:25:09
Originally posted by Funko
If you filled in the form with "unemployed" for your gf rather than with her new job as a reference, that was silly. :D

She didnt - she put her new employers and her starting date and included the details for her previous employer as a reference

Funko
16-05-2006, 15:26:12
They are clearly twatheads then.

Beta1
16-05-2006, 15:49:56
girlf beat me to it - she offered them two months rent in advance and suddenly all problems vanished.

JM^3
16-05-2006, 16:16:53
That is similiar to what I did. The rental people have certain forms they have to follow...

JM

Funko
16-05-2006, 16:19:40
And certain procedures they have to follow in order to maximise their profits.

Spartak@CPH
16-05-2006, 17:10:31
Solihull? Is that up north?

Lurker the Second
16-05-2006, 18:38:06
Originally posted by Beta1

FFS - we both have Doctorates and we own a flat in london already - do we sound like crap tenants?

Sounds like they found out you post here. Can't say I blame them.

Beta1
16-05-2006, 20:55:31
Originally posted by Spartak@CPH
Solihull? Is that up north?

birmingham

Oerdin
17-05-2006, 04:12:22
I have found that in life money talks. If you offer a big enough deposit then you can be lucifer himself or a registered sex offender and most landlords will take you.

DaShi
17-05-2006, 04:19:20
All landlords are evil.

My parents rented a house after my father changed jobs. They put down a double deposit in order to get the contract changed so that they would have to stay 6 months instead of one year and could pay by the month for the next 6 months, if they stayed longer. The landlord gladly agreed. Now they are still trying to get their deposit back. He claims that because they left after 7 months he can keep the deposit and that they should pay him for 5 more months. Despite that the contract was written specifically to avoid this scenario.

Spartak@CPH
17-05-2006, 05:06:59
Originally posted by Beta1
birmingham 100-0

MDA
17-05-2006, 13:00:58
Originally posted by DaShi
All landlords are evil.

My parents rented a house after my father changed jobs. They put down a double deposit in order to get the contract changed so that they would have to stay 6 months instead of one year and could pay by the month for the next 6 months, if they stayed longer. The landlord gladly agreed. Now they are still trying to get their deposit back. He claims that because they left after 7 months he can keep the deposit and that they should pay him for 5 more months. Despite that the contract was written specifically to avoid this scenario.

have them read the contract again, carefully - they paid double deposit so he could keep twice as much money when they didn't stay the entire year?

if the contract reads right, break his legs

or you could just hire a lawyer to send him a letter (shouldn't be too expensive) and I'm willing to bet he caves - it worked for me with my shady landlords in college

The Norks
17-05-2006, 18:17:28
renting is largely unregulated in the uk

DaShi
18-05-2006, 00:54:31
Originally posted by MDA
have them read the contract again, carefully - they paid double deposit so he could keep twice as much money when they didn't stay the entire year?

if the contract reads right, break his legs

or you could just hire a lawyer to send him a letter (shouldn't be too expensive) and I'm willing to bet he caves - it worked for me with my shady landlords in college

They've had lawyer friends look at it, and my parents are in the right. I've suggested breaking his legs, but parents just don't listen. I'll mention having a lawyer send a letter to him. All they've been doing is sending letters themselves only to receive bills or simply be ignored.

Oerdin
18-05-2006, 02:35:25
Originally posted by DaShi
All landlords are evil.

It should be a slam dunk. I imagine if you get a lawyer involved he'll get scared and give up since he obviously has no case.

Cruddy
18-05-2006, 02:48:06
Estate agents do not need any formal qualications nor are they properly regulated.

Otherwise the prisons might be fuller.