PDA

View Full Version : A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port

Gary
16-05-2006, 14:22:00
Good Lord it was only a mobile on the end of a CA-42 cable :(
Wonder if that means that the mobile has a fault ?

Cruddy
18-05-2006, 02:31:59
Yeah, it's a greedy bastard. Some would call that a fault.

Maybe you got too many devices or maybe the port just decided it couldn't take it anymore and comiitted suicide.

Or maybe you unplugged it without clicking the green icon on the systray.

Bye bye port. Nice knowing you.

Gary
18-05-2006, 10:27:43
The port resets just fine, can still use the flash drive in it. It just can't seem to cope with the mobile any more :(

Gary
29-05-2006, 22:59:44
Think I found the answer to this one.

Home PC: Connect mobile via CA-42, PC doesn't claim to see it.
Work PC: Connect mobile via CA-42, PC claims USB is taking too much current, remove and click button to reset port.
Girlfriend's PC: Connect mobile via CA-42 and via powered USB hub, Within seconds notice smell of something hot in the air. Grab cable, find one connector rather warm, pull it out PDQ.
Damn it, that cable was bought new and has only been used about 3 to 4 times ! :(

Gary
30-05-2006, 15:00:24
Well that is interesting. Of course nothing ever comes with proper screw connectors these days, all moulded plug stuff, but cutting the previously warm USB end open...

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-Nokia/nokia_pop_pinout.shtml

If it were a simple case of connecting pins at one end to pins at the other, as the above links suggest, then how come there is a circuit board, 2 chips (one fried so much it's fallen off, the other a bj8p153an, whatever that is) resistors, capacitors ?

I'd post a picture but I can't seem to get the PC to comunicate with the mobile camera at the moment, not sure why not. :confused:

Life's never simple.

The Mad Monk
21-06-2006, 00:06:26
The fried chip in the cable probably fried its mate in the computer.

Gary
21-06-2006, 11:12:31
Thnks, but it seems ok now. Old cable cut open to show the problem. New cable worked (or at least did eventually after having to download yet another driver - not sure why it didn't use the same one as the last cable). USB ports not showing any distress at the moment.