PDA

View Full Version : New Toy!

BigGameHunter
14-05-2006, 03:29:51
Just got this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1140393565113&type=product

I was using an old HP desktop that was about 6 years old (98/se old). I'm loving being able to roam the house now and post from the couch!

Any thoughts on this? Seems like good bang for the buck to me...though it is weird that computers don't seem to come with much in the way of manuals any more. Have to dig in and see the features...don't really know what this thing can do yet...any suggestions?

Sir Penguin
14-05-2006, 04:35:57
Wardriving (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardriving).

SP

BigGameHunter
14-05-2006, 06:59:14
Oh dear....perhaps I need a firewall?

Cruddy
14-05-2006, 07:54:34
Perhaps you need foil lined underpants.

Laptops, when used on the lap, tend to sterilise males.

Asher
14-05-2006, 08:13:13
Only if they're hot and the user is a pussy.

Similarly, men in hot, humid clients tend to become sterilised. ;)

BigGameHunter
14-05-2006, 16:10:06
Does your workplace encourage you to get in clients?

Christoph
14-05-2006, 16:33:55
:lol:

Gary
14-05-2006, 17:39:58
Only if you're a good server

Cruddy
14-05-2006, 19:46:56
Originally posted by Asher
Only if they're hot and the user is a pussy.

Similarly, men in hot, humid clients tend to become sterilised. ;)

Like you give a fuck if you're sterile or not?

Heteros do.

Asher
14-05-2006, 20:42:45
I thought it was clear I was mocking you.

It's an old wive's tale, based on the fact that heat may kill sperm.

It's also why some people refuse to wear briefs/boxerbriefs, and presumably why only old people like to live in Florida. ;)

Darkstar
15-05-2006, 21:06:48
Actually, there are some car companies now recommending that you wrap your RFID fobs/keys in tin foil, to prevent tech savy car thieves from acquiring your code and driving away with your car.

BGH, definately set up your wireless access point/hub with some basic security. Unless you want to give free access to passerby, and be legally responsible/the patsy for people doing seriously illegal stuff online. That's already happened to several people. Your access point, your legal responsibility.

BigGameHunter
16-05-2006, 05:27:29
It came with some security measures and my Geek Squad guy set it up with the Windows firewall so I think I'm good.

However, I can see that I have two neighbors with wireless as well and one of them is unsecured...though he's a Mormon so I doubt there's anything good on his system to look at.
:)

Two problems so far...the scroll bar on the touchpad is mystifying me as I cannot seem to ever get it to work and the touchpad itself tends to open/activate stuff even though it isn't supposed to unless I set it to do that. The scroll bar in particular is bugging me.

Asher
16-05-2006, 05:41:37
You can likely disable the touchpad open/activate stuff in options -- it's the first thing I do on a laptop.

Darkstar
16-05-2006, 17:10:08
I do the same thing as Ash, and kill the touchpad open/activate and the on pad scrollbars (if any) on it as well. You should be able to use your mouse options from Control Panel, or use the "extra/special" console stuff that was included on your laptop to stop it. It will save you lots of aggravation to do that.

The scroll bar may need to be set up/turned on, or you may just need to learn to use it. ;) A lot of things won't scroll wheel, unless you've got the cursor over the right part of a window or unless a particular control has the focus. Go figure.

For gaming, you'll need to pick up a USB mini-pad (a simple keypad). Also, I'd recommend picking up a cheap, small mouse with a real scroll wheel. If your pad scroll wheel starts working reliably, you can skip that.

Enjoy your toy!

Sir Penguin
16-05-2006, 18:33:51
I like the scroll area on my trackpad, because you don't have to press any buttons. The TrackPoint is fantastic for everything else, except for precision work, when I bust out the mouse.

SP