PDA

View Full Version : Entropia

The Norks
10-05-2006, 16:47:55
Does anyone here play this or have an opinion to offer? I was intrigued that you can apparently make real life money out of it, and that its a whole universe. It also has dinosaurs!

Snotty
10-05-2006, 19:14:35
Played this one for a little bit, it has fairly basic features by modern MMO standards.

Combat was unfulfiling as I was exchanging bullets for little xp, and I couldnt escape the thought that every shot was costing me money in ammo and wear on the gun.

You can make some small base capital (enough for a noob weapon) without putting any money into the game by begging or making monsters 'sweat' for mana to sell, which is as tedious as it is inane

Beta1
10-05-2006, 19:23:06
Norks, just come and join the rest of us in Eve. you know you want to.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-05-2006, 19:46:06
Or WoW, which also has dinosaurs :)

The Norks
10-05-2006, 21:50:12
ahhhh... the boyf has started playing Eve, he keeps trying to get me to play Camelot, but it seems a bit quim. I liked WoW, but i feared that I would get too addicted lol!

HelloKitty
10-05-2006, 23:07:48
Entropia, excessivly dull gameplay. Free to play but actually playing costs about 15$ a month because of wear and tear on your gear that you need to pay for.

You CAN make lots of real money, but it takes being a full time exp MMO market trader and even then you may ahve to take months off while you wait for the market to change (or pay for those months).

"Second Life" also has the same concept but has lots more options. It also allows programmers to make things, i.e. coding and graphics, to sell. All the places are made like in the sims by players, but you can fight etc. Looks much more interesting but I haven't tried it.

Eve is great in that you can play as much or little as you want and still advance. Nice gameplay, robust market, etc. Bad things are lurker and venom play. A good number of CGers play. We have a single guild and althoug I have been busy as hell I never have logged on to change training and been alone.

I didn't know anyone still played Dark Age of Camelot.

If this will be your first reall MMO played WoW, GW, EQ1, or COH/V may be your best bets to get into the game style. I would also recommend EQ2, but the game has changed drastically with the last two expansions and I haven't played since they came out, most people say the changes are great, but I have no personal opinion (wel I do, my character class was completely changed and nerfed and I cried like a little bitch).

WoW- Huge playerbase, PVP and PVE options, very easy gameplay, graphics that work on older computers, extremely newbie friendly but imo very lacking in challenge and gameplay depth, even casual players/guilds can do all the endgame with time. Uses the traditional fantasy class roles. Another good thing is they are supposed to get out an expansion sometime this year. a group of CGers play as well.

GW or the new GW- Free if you buy the box. Traditional linear RPG, good in that you may be more familiar with the style, bad in that it limits you to what the storyline is. Only one server so every player in the world plas together. Adventures are instanced so that you canot be harassed by greifers in any way. Very easy to learn, has the simplest UI and concepts to learn, also has the most depth and variety of any of the combat systems. With 56 class combinations, 15 or so specializations for each of those 56, and then hundreds of skill combinations on top of that. Plus you cannot make a premenent bad choice, since you can go to town and change your characters choices. Best PVP system of any of the games, consentual only though, so you can play purely pvp or never pvp. You also can play solo or witha group. Even missions that require a group you can hire NPCs to come with you if you are not in the mood for other players. Main negative is the communitty. The game s o so huge you meet the best and worst.

COH/COV- Just fun. Easy gameplay to learn. If you want a game to play that you get on and are having fun in 10 minutes go for it. Negatives, outside of combat/pvp, not much to do. Sure players have social events, podcasts, dance parties, etc, but no real crafting.

EQ1- Challenging gameplay, best raid/endgame content of any of the MMOs. Has easily 10 times the content of any other game on the market. Unlike the other 3 games I mentioned, in EQ1 you actualy care when bad things like death happen to you. Decent server populations, although some overcrowding, they merged many servers after EQ2/WoW came out, then have had an influx of players returning to the game who are done with EQ2 and wow. Negatives? Very old server populations. i.e not a lot of newbies to play with, your groups would be with players who have made alts/twinks unless you were playing with friends or ina guild specific for newer players. Game is focused on endgame/raiding which to get to the top of takes serious time investment. Old graphics, same computer requirements as WoW, its almost 7 years old (I guess thats a good thing if you have a crappy graphics card). THe biggest drawback about EQ1 is the difficulty, which I hear they have lowered. Everything you do is hard in the game. Everything you do also takes time. It is not an instant gratification game like COH or a monty haul like WOW.

The Norks
11-05-2006, 08:06:00
ohmigod
i didnt understand half of that HK (I thought twinks were pretty gay boys?) but I'm sure the boyf will translate. I've never played any online games to be honest, so its all Dutch to me.
i will have a look at Eve sinc you seem to b saying its quite good, and my adopted nephew recommended it too.

HelloKitty
11-05-2006, 09:12:24
Hmm. Lets translate a few things.

Wow = World of Warcraft
EQ1 is the original Everquest
GW is Guild Wars
COH/COV is city of heroes and city of villains

PVP is player versus player (humans against humans)
PVE is player vs enviornment (or a team of players vs the computer)

Traditional fantasy class system = Dungeons and dragons style. i.e fighter, ranger, healer, theif, etc.

alt/twink alt is alternate character, so someone's second or third character. A Twink is an alt that has been given tons of money and/or items far beyond what they should have access to.

Monty Haul - Old reference. Basicly take as much as you can carry easy to get all the goodies with little or no risk.

Traditional linear RPG- Like final fantasy etc. You play one story with some substories. A linear storyline, as opposed to sandbox games, like EVE, which is simply a universe and after the tutorial, you get no direction, do what you want. If you like a game with a goal GW is great, if you want to play in a virual world EVE is the way to go. All the others are somewhere in between.

Servers- Like a post board on the intenet. You would join a certain server (like CG) and play with the people who also join that same server with no crossover. So each server has a unique feel to it. i.e. you may get a server with lots of players like you, or you may happen to pick aserver with 1000000 12 year olds and chinese e-bay farmers. SOme games limit servers by reegion, ex WoW has Euro servers and North A servers the two groups can't play together. GW and EVE have only one server, so everyone plays together and you are not limited in any way to who you play with.

Pay to play. All the games except GW charge about 15$ a month to play, that on top of buying the software. GW is free to play if you buy the sofware forever. EQ1 can also be bought as a package with EQ2, the matrix online, Star Wars galaxies, and a few other online games and you can play them all for 23$ rather than 15 for each.

Expansions- Each game will release additions to the game every so often. They add new things, add gameplay, and trivialize a large part of the previous game by adding newer cooler things. GW uses the sales of these to pay for its server costs. EQ1 and EQ2 release 2 per year but only package the newest one seperatly, you can buy the all old ones together as one box usually for 20-30$ total. GW just released its first one, added lots of stuff, but didn't trivialize the old game at all and is a stand alone game if you don't want to buy both. COH/V only do free updates. Their expansions are new games that can be linked to the old ones if you own both. Eve only sells software online, so its expansions are all free as part of your Sub. WoW is supposed to be launching its first expansion late this year, they had originally aimed for one or two a year, but things didn't work out and it will be 2 years for this one. Expect 2 per year after that.

Crafting- Making stuff in game.

WoW- Gather items and click. Very simple fast and easy.
EQ1- Crafting is evil in EQ1. EVIL!!!
GW- gather up a few things and give it to an NPC to craft for you. Or mix dyes to make new colours for your dress.
EVE- You could write a book just about manufacturing in eve. Very detailed and can be interesting.
COH/V- Get some stuff to make super defenses/weapons for your super base. Not very comlex.

Make a little more sense now?

Ginfizwithatwist
11-05-2006, 11:18:29
Norks, I am totally new to mmo gaming myself ( or any kind of gaming really with exception of 1st gen Doom) - a mmo virgin if you like, and didn't have a clue, so on recommendation from Snotty I joined EVE and as a result joined the CG community.
It is fairly complicated at first but this doesn't distract from the fun and with the massive help from Snotty, Beta Nav Lurker ( yes even Venom on occasion) and the rest of the guys on the ingame CG channel/corp I am now totally hooked and an avid gamer.
The whole thing gets easier with time and there's always something to do. - the chat makes it really fun, and there is no problem getting advice and questions answered ( and God knows I have asked some really duff ones!)
There is also a chat channel on local where you can talk to anyone in your region of space as well as those in your corporation.
This is an international game so whatever time you log in theres always someone around to shoot the breeze with,( usually some 15,000 players on average)
I would definitely elbow your Boyf out of the way and get in game !

MDA
11-05-2006, 11:28:19
unfortunately, the CGers playing Wow are not on the same server, which would have been kind of fun, but the time zone differences mess things up - a bunch on EU servers, and Qaj and I (and Mrs. MDA) are on a US one.

King_Ghidra
11-05-2006, 12:34:00
HK darkstarred the fuck out of this one

Lurker the Second
11-05-2006, 14:24:16
Norks, if your b/f is not in a corporation and is interested, tell him to join our counterglow channel. We're trying to grow the corp as best we can. It is a good way to get advice when first starting, plus just shoot the shit if you feel like it. Post his in-game name and someone will send him an eve-mail with the channel information and password.

If you are interested in trying it out, there is a 14-day free trial period. I can send you the link to that if you pm me your e-mail address (or your b/f can do that as well -- tell him to look for the "Buddy Program" on the main EVE page).

Venom
11-05-2006, 14:30:17
Joining the channel does not mean joining the corp. We'll need to invite him/have him fill out one of our special "applications".

Sir Penguin
11-05-2006, 15:14:26
Originally posted by The Norks
ohmigod
i didnt understand half of that HK (I thought twinks were pretty gay boys?) but I'm sure the boyf will translate. I've never played any online games to be honest, so its all Dutch to me.
i will have a look at Eve sinc you seem to b saying its quite good, and my adopted nephew recommended it too.
The moral of the story is, don't get Kitty started on MMOs.

SP

Beta1
11-05-2006, 15:34:04
Originally posted by Venom
Joining the channel does not mean joining the corp. We'll need to invite him/have him fill out one of our special "applications".

We'll have to get in more goats first. Everytime an application comes in we always seem to have run out.

Darkstar
11-05-2006, 15:38:14
HelloKitty is the Goddess of MMO Games.

The Norks
11-05-2006, 20:11:43
Originally posted by Lurker the Second
Norks, if your b/f is not in a corporation and is interested, tell him to join our counterglow channel. We're trying to grow the corp as best we can. It is a good way to get advice when first starting, plus just shoot the shit if you feel like it. Post his in-game name and someone will send him an eve-mail with the channel information and password.

If you are interested in trying it out, there is a 14-day free trial period. I can send you the link to that if you pm me your e-mail address (or your b/f can do that as well -- tell him to look for the "Buddy Program" on the main EVE page).

we're going to have a look at it and see what we think- who's playing from here then? How do we join the legion?

and what do venom's 'applications' involve? i hope this isn't some kind of Rosemary's baby scenario!

Cheers HK for your expl btw- I'm going to show it to J so he can decipher further!

The Norks
11-05-2006, 20:23:50
and does it have dinosaurs or dinosaur-like beasts?

Lurker the Second
11-05-2006, 22:00:19
No beasts, although some of the ships are pretty ghastly.

EVE is a little different than most MMOs in that your view of things is really a third person view of space with your spaceship as the centerpiece. You never get out of your ship -- you will change ships often, but you don't walk on planets or in spacestations. Fighting is not "twitch based" or aim-oriented like a lot of games, both single person and MMOs. The economy and industry, as HK said, are quite complex, in fact almost lifelike on a macro level.

Off the top of my head, the posters here who play are:

1. Me
2. Venom
3. Nav
4. Beta
5. Snotty
6. Ginfizwithatwist
7. HelloKitty
8. JonMiller
9. Centara Fugue (a friend of Jon's who you might not have seen post out of this forum).
10. Mraal (another friend of Jon's, although I'm not sure he's posted here).
11. DaShi
12. Skanky Burns

I've probably forgotten someone or two.

Chagarra is taking a break b/c of r/l matters to attend to. Qaj was on the free trial, but obviously has more imporant things to attend to.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-05-2006, 00:51:02
Actually, Qaj has no money for the subscription :) It's either that or WoW, and I'm still getting good mileage out of WoW even one year on, so I'm not about to just chuck all that.

Plus I got to a point where I was grinding level 1 agent missions endlessly (the same ones, again and again) in order to get cash and wait for my frigate training to go up. It was a little repetetive.

However, if I was flush with cash, I'd give serious thought to subscribing, though LoC would probably gripe at me paying $30 a month on game subscriptions even so :D